What will it take to beat Iowa?

1hawkeye1

This from a fusker board poster who seems to have a fairly lucid grip on things other than this-"their whole secondary is solid.")

"As already mentioned, their offensive styles are very similar. First-year quarterbacks both showing potential with very similar stats (QBR of 128.1 for Rudock, 127.8 for Hackenberg). Both have solid offensive lines and good bruising backs. Both love the bootleg and like to utilize the tight ends in the passing game.

The advantage PSU has is the big-time receiver (Robinson). Iowa doesn't have one. All eight or nine WRs combined have barely more yards than Robinson. Damond Powell is the only home run threat. They don't throw to him much (maybe their Jamal Turner).

The advantage Iowa has is its scoring defense. They bend but very rarely break. 13th in the country.

Rudock can throw a nice ball but he also has his share of boneheaded picks. They do not have a home run threat on the ground. Weisman's longest run in 184 carries is 37. Bullock's in 112 carries is 22.

Iowa is average in rushing defense, but they really tighten up in the redzone. They have only given up 4 rushing touchdowns in the redzone all season. That's top five in the country. Their pass defense is great (#10). Linebackers are good in pass D and their whole secondary is solid.

Iowa is ranked higher than us in all the computer ratings I follow. But Nebraska is a three-point favorite.

On offense, my keys would be:

• Run Ameer, a lot. And I would try a lot more downhill (pistol or under center formations) and off-tackle stuff. The shotgun up-the-middle stuff will work about as well as it did against Penn St.
  • Keep Kellogg's passes safe. Avoid linebackers in coverage as Morris and Hitchens are both major playmakers. Maybe dust off the halfback screen.
  • Take a few shots deep down the sideline off play-action. 1st and 10 or 2nd and short are great opportunities.
  • I would not run the option with Kellogg. Too much risk for catastrophe against those linebackers.
  • No fumbles. I can dream.
  • Get creative in the redzone. Pull out a reverse or halfback pass.
On defense:
  • Pressure Rudock and force at least one interception
  • Hold Weisman to under 4 ypc
  • Contain the play-action bootleg
  • Keep a close eye on Powell. He is the only home run threat.
Special teams:
  • Honestly, I would not field punts. Wind and cold and Westerkamp looks too shaky out there. The risk/reward is too high. If there's a big special teams blunder, let Iowa make it."

Last edited:
Reasonable except for the safeties. Iowa needs to stack up big time against the run. Their two QB's are weak passers.

Reasonable except for the safeties. Iowa needs to stack up big time against the run. Their two QB's are weak passers.
I agree. I would also add that Smith showed us against Michigan that maybe, just maybe, we have another home run threat.

If they can't run they won't win. Their QBs are mistake and fumble prone. If they have to pass a lot, their shaky OL will give up sacks. Load the box and stop the run game and if possible (looking at you GD) get an early lead so they have to pass more.

Pretty good analysis except for not mentioning Canzeri at all. It will come down to the same things it always comes down to with Iowa. Can you stop Iowa from running without completely selling out. If you can you've got a pretty good shot to win. If you can't, you'd better get four turnovers like Michigan did.

If they can't run they won't win. Their QBs are mistake and fumble prone. If they have to pass a lot, their shaky OL will give up sacks. Load the box and stop the run game and if possible (looking at you GD) get an early lead so they have to pass more.

I would hate to leave someone on Bell one on one.

I would hate to leave someone on Bell one on one.

I agree that Bell is a big threat, but they still need a QB to deliver a good ball to him in order for him to make a play.

Overall, I like his analysis. He didn't mention Iowa's TE's at all. Which is a mistake. CJ might only have a couple catches a game but one of them is usually for a TD it seems like. Duzey has shown he's capable of making a big play. I'm just not sure Nebraska's defense can stand up to the physicality of Iowa's front seven. Maybe to start the game, but by the 4th quarter I think the Hawks will have them worn out.

Iowa vs. Nebraska (2013) "Berzerk"

[video=youtube;UKDA_wXwelY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDA_wXwelY[/video]

Iowa vs. Nebraska (2013) "Berzerk"

[video=youtube;UKDA_wXwelY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDA_wXwelY[/video]

I like it. Actually made me get goosebumps. Friday is shaping up to be the first close game in this new rivalry.

I like it. Actually made me get goosebumps. Friday is shaping up to be the first close game in this new rivalry.

Last year Nebby scored the winning TD with less than 3 minutes to play in the 4th....it was close. But, I agree that this is Iowa's best shot in this newly hatched series.

Can someone send this to Ferentz, Davis and Parker? Golfer has connections inside...maybe he can do it. The Hawks will be ready for them.

IF nebraska can keep Iowa under wraps on 1st down (< 3 yards) it will go a long way toward a Nebraska victory.

Agree - he looked especially good rolling out and throwing on the run, but is he hurt? I thought I heard he might be injured.
No their Freshman QB Armstrong injured his ankle. Kellog took a big hit at the goal line against PSU but was hurt not injured.

Latest posts