What Seniors Do You Think Come Back?

Fryowa

Administrator
This year does not count against athletic eligibility. A lot of factors come into play for seniors whether it's graduating and wanting to get started looking for a job, NFL aspirations, or sticking around purely because you want to keep playing football.

We have 16 seniors on our current depth chart:

Smith
Beyer
Jackson
Banwart
Cronk
Smith-Marsette
Sargent
Duncan
Shudak
Golston
Heflin
Jacobus
VanValkenburg
Wade
Hankins
Niemann

Smith, ISM, and Hankins still have their redshirt available.

Which ones do you see coming back, leaving, or transferring? All I know is that I hope to hell Keith comes back.

I would think the receivers might test the waters on the grad transfer market. If I were Duncan and had a shot at a place like Clemson or Bama, I would probably hit the road and try to win a natty.

I would think the receivers might test the waters on the grad transfer market. If I were Duncan and had a shot at a place like Clemson or Bama, I would probably hit the road and try to win a natty.
That’s what initially scared me about Duncan, but I wonder if he’s got his heart stuck in Iowa City now.

IC has a soft spot for good kickers, Nate the Great, Koehn, Coluzzi, Sleepy-D, Duncan...all hugely popular and they get a lot of love from fans.

That’s what initially scared me about Duncan, but I wonder if he’s got his heart stuck in Iowa City now.

IC has a soft spot for good kickers, Nate the Great, Koehn, Coluzzi, Sleepy-D, Duncan...all hugely popular and they get a lot of love from fans.

Yeah, but if you hit the natty winning FG for OSU or Bama you could be like a governor or senator or something.

Great question. Who amongst them would it benefit for going to the NFL? And then there's the academic side of it

Of those guys my guess is these guys come back and it's not very many... I think the rest move on but I'll be pleasantly surprised if more would.

Smith. My take on him is he needs more game tape for the NFL. He's made some highlight plays but needs more. Another yr with a 2nd yr QB could do him a world of good. Physically he's all that and a bag of chips so I could see him leaving too so we'll see

ISM (Prior to his OWI anyway now it's anyones guess how that factors)

Niemann

Great question. Who amongst them would it benefit for going to the NFL? And then there's the academic side of it

Of those guys my guess is these guys come back and it's not very many... I think the rest move on but I'll be pleasantly surprised if more would.

Smith. My take on him is he needs more game tape for the NFL. He's made some highlight plays but needs more. Another yr with a 2nd yr QB could do him a world of good. Physically he's all that and a bag of chips so I could see him leaving too so we'll see

ISM (Prior to his OWI anyway now it's anyones guess how that factors)

Niemann
I think Duncan comes back.

Smith, maybe ISM, but both of those guys could easily grad transfer to schools with good QBs.

Cronk and Heflin are grad transfers that came to play at a bigger program so I can't see them leaving unless they had a couple juniors breathing down their necks. Doesn't look like it, and Ferentz hinted in the past two pressers that he really likes Cronk. Hefln is an interesting one, that guy is already NFL size, and if he could spend another year and a half in the Iowa program could get more athletic. He's a massive human being.

Niemann is at a spot that does nothing but benefit from game experience. He's a guy that could get picked up already, but another year in college ball could make him a 4th or 5th rounder. Having his brother kicking ass in the NFL helps as well, pro teams like known quantities. I think he stays, and I hope he does. I was always hoping he'd break out in a pure leader role like Josey but it hasn't happened yet.

Golston and Jackson I think bolt for pro ball, the rest of them are toss-ups as to whether they stick around after school or not.

I think Duncan comes back.

Smith, maybe ISM, but both of those guys could easily grad transfer to schools with good QBs.

Cronk and Heflin are grad transfers that came to play at a bigger program so I can't see them leaving unless they had a couple juniors breathing down their necks. Doesn't look like it, and Ferentz hinted in the past two pressers that he really likes Cronk. Hefln is an interesting one, that guy is already NFL size, and if he could spend another year and a half in the Iowa program could get more athletic. He's a massive human being.

Niemann is at a spot that does nothing but benefit from game experience. He's a guy that could get picked up already, but another year in college ball could make him a 4th or 5th rounder. Having his brother kicking ass in the NFL helps as well, pro teams like known quantities. I think he stays, and I hope he does. I was always hoping he'd break out in a pure leader role like Josey but it hasn't happened yet.

Golston and Jackson I think bolt for pro ball, the rest of them are toss-ups as to whether they stick around after school or not.
Yeah Duncan could easily come back too I just forgot him.

The two Grad transfers are big lineman they typically wouldn't want to stick around if they don't have to I wouldn't think but maybe. I'm not crazy confident in anything I'm guessing here.

Nixon I think leaves early too. He looks like an NFL player and he may as well go start cashing checks

The two Grad transfers are big lineman they typically wouldn't want to stick around if they don't have to I wouldn't think but maybe. I'm not crazy confident in anything I'm guessing here.
I would agree if Cronk and Heflin were NFL-ready, but I don't think they are.

I would agree if Cronk and Heflin were NFL-ready, but I don't think they are.
I agree about that. And the reason I say what I am is because I'm not sure another yr would do much towards changing that. I think at this point and at the end of this yr each of them just are who they are there's not a ton of development left for them to do. But I dunno doesn't mean they won't

Latest posts