What I Saw: On the Field for Senior Day

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Another Iowa football Saturday, taking the game in from the sideline.
Of course, I didn’t care for the outcome, but there were some things I was witness to that I thought I’d share.

First, this was the first time I have been able to witness senior day from the field vantage point. It was pretty emotional for a lot of people and I even got choked up on a couple of instances. I am a sucker for families, and seeing parents so proud of their kids…and also seeing the kids realize that they will never walk this path again in their life.

They will walk other paths, other great paths, but never this path. Perhaps that’s what makes a senior day loss all the more depressing.

Before DJK’s name was announced, the students could tell he was up next…they began chanting ‘DJK! DJK! DJK’ and his lip began to quiver…he was clearly, clearly moved by the show of love and respect…perhaps more than any other player I saw on Saturday. For a guy that didn’t speak to the media for most of his career, partly due to his coach’s decision and this year partly due to his own, I think this ovation was important to him and it had an impact.

As he was jogging through the tunnel of letter winners onto the field, he was holding back tears…and seeing that choked me up a bit. Wish the ending was more happy.

Another Iowa football Saturday, taking the game in from the sideline. Of course, I didn’t care for the outcome. But there were some things I was witness to that I thought I’d share with you.

First, this was the first time I have been able to witness senior day from the field vantage point. It was pretty emotional for a lot of people and I even got choked up on a couple of instances. I am a sucker for families, and seeing parents so proud of their kids…and also seeing the kids realize that they will never walk this path again in their life.

They will walk other paths, other great paths, but never this path. Perhaps that’s what makes a senior day loss all the more depressing.

Before DJK’s name was announced, the students could tell he was up next…they began chanting ‘DJK! DJK! DJK’ and his lip began to quiver…he was clearly, clearly moved by the show of love and respect…perhaps more than any other player I saw on Saturday. For a guy that didn’t speak to the media for most of his career, partly due to his coach’s decision and this year partly due to his own, I think this ovation, this outpouring of adulation, was meaningful to him and it had an impact.

As he was jogging through the tunnel of letter winners onto the field, he was holding back tears…and seeing that choked me up a bit.

I focused on him quite a bit during the game. You could tell he was giving it everything he had, perhaps more than I have ever seen from him. He was going at it all day with #1 for Ohio State, a lot of jawing. The catch DJK made after being pushed out of bounds was unreal. It didn’t count, as the call of pass interference was the ruling that was applied…but it was great effort.

Later in the game, Stanzi threw a ball deep to DJK, into double coverage and DJK was hauling! At the last second, he cut in front of one of the DB’s and nearly made an unbelievable catch, with unreal effort. I am not certain, but he might have been injured on that play, laying out so hard and changing direction so much. Later in the game, after Ohio State kicked off following their field goal, DJK returned the ball and you could tell he was hurting, something in his ribs. Not sure if it was a hit to the ribs or a muscle strain. It bothered him the rest of the game but there was no way he was going to leave the field.

I have offered ‘criticisms’ of DJK through the years, along the lines of ‘to whom much is given, much is expected.’ He was given amazing talent, and he obviously has worked hard honing that talent and putting time in the weight room. Play to play concentration seemed to be the biggest bugaboo in holding him back from being a force earlier in his career.

But to me, he is finishing real well and on Saturday, he showed great effort and heart. It’s been a pleasure watching him grow on the field….

I mentioned the tunnel that was created by former letter winners…I can tell you those people are thrilled that Kirk has started this tradition. I spoke to several former players as they waited for the seniors to come out, and they were honored to be back on the field….

Had a chance to chat with AJ Edds..his rehab is going well and he is eager to get back on the field and begin his NFL career…

Spoke with former basketball players Ryan Luehrsmann and Luke Recker quite a bit during the game. Luey has always been one of the nicest guys I have come across in this line of work. Recker was a part of the 2001-2002 Iowa team that began the season ranked in the Top Ten but ended…well, not so well. He recently returned to Iowa City with his wife and young daughter and told me he was so glad to be back in Iowa.

He’s not ‘from’ here. He’s an Indiana kid, who had a brief stay in Arizona before coming to Iowa. He’s seen a lot, been through a lot during his days and it’s neat to hear him express the same love of Iowa that us Iowa natives feel…

We all saw Adam Robinson lying motionless on the field after a questionable hit. After the game was over, Robinson was being helped off the field by a member of the support staff, holding his arm all the way. Robinson clearly had a ‘far away’ look to him and as Kirk Ferentz mentioned after the game, if he got ‘dinged’ again, which it certainly looked like he did, we wont see him next week….

As the final seconds wound down, I began to reflect on this senior class. They have accomplished a lot and delivered so many great memories. Yes, this season and the 7-4 record is fresh in our minds now, but they have a chance to win two more games and finish 9-4. If they do that, they will have won 29 games over the past three seasons,which would be tied for the second best three-year mark in school history, with the 1985-1987 Iowa teams.

Again, I realize that some folks don’t want to think about that right now and probably won’t until January. That won’t take away the emotions of unmet expectations, which are some of the most powerful emotions we experience. However, I just can’t throw away all they have done and the high-high’s they have delivered. Thanks for the memories, and here’s to making two more….
One more thing; the fly over by the fighter jets was unreal, and thanks to Tom, Patty and Dan Buroker for their hospitality all day and night and in letting me do ‘Soundoff’ from their home near the stadium.

Great stuff Jon

I too got a little emotional during the senior day intros, glad to know I wasn't the only one. Once they starting reading off all the names, thats when it hit me, all the great guys on this team and all the memories they made for us as fans.

I really did feel emotional for a few minutes. DJK and Ben Evans looked like they were by far the most choked up. Right up there with Drew Tate in 2006.

You know Jon, it's too bad that some of the posters on here couldn't jump into your shoes to see up front what these seniors are going through as they make their last trip through the tunnel. Might add a little perspective to some of the idiots out there that just don't understand how much heart and passion these guys have for the team and the fans. For peple to question the attitude and work ethic, as well as the heart, of these graduating seniors sickens me and fortunately you got to see and feel something that is about so much more "just a game".

You know Jon, it's too bad that some of the posters on here couldn't jump into your shoes to see up front what these seniors are going through as they make their last trip through the tunnel. Might add a little perspective to some of the idiots out there that just don't understand how much heart and passion these guys have for the team and the fans. For peple to question the attitude and work ethic, as well as the heart, of these graduating seniors sickens me and fortunately you got to see and feel something that is about so much more "just a game".

Agreed. I have gotten to know DJK a bit over the last few years. Great guy. And I have been on the field before too. These guys bust their butt every week. It is absolutely BS for these idiots to take shots at these kids.

Beautiful post, as usual. The winning and losing becomes secondary when you realize how hard these kids work and how much they care. They invest a lot to wear the black and gold. Oh, and by the way, this senior class is 27-10 the past 3 years, with 2 bowl championships. Not too shabby!!!

I think it is ok for people on this board to criticize the coaches. Heck, the Monday Morning Quarterbacking is part of the fun of being a fan.

But when they criticize the effort or decision-making of the players, that is just plain wrong. I hope we always keep it to a minimum.

Let's beat those gophers and bring home the pig!! Big game!!

We DVR'd the game and then took off to watch it at Kinnick. When we got home, I started the playback to show my daughter the fly over. Turns out part of the senior announcements were shown as well. When she saw Stanzi come out, she looked nervous and asked what everyone was doing. I explained he's graduating and won't be playing for Iowa next year. The kid burst into tears and looked at me like I was supposed to do something to keep him here.

I felt the same way about DJK watching him play, you could tell that he just had an extra gear for that game. Sad that we didnt get the win but was awesome to see DJK give it all he had for the Hawks.

While the outcome wasn't what an Iowa fan hoped for, it was a great game to watch. Big Ten football at its best. If anyone doesn't think the players did not put everything on the line they were not watching closely. The team played smart and made some great defensive plays, just one play on a 4th and 10 made the difference. People should remember Ohio State was a team expected to play in the NC game.

I would say if you took Pryor away from Ohio State you are talking about a 9 and 3 or 8 and 4 football team. He bailed out his offensive line numerous times and his threat to run allows Herron to get his yards.

It is a game you play through your mind. The missed field goal or the helmut to helmut hit on Robinson. Iowa got some calls, but if the ref was evening out the calls he really rewarded a patently intentional foul. I expect to hear from the conference on that one. The play was right in front of where I was sitting. The defender hit Robinson while the ball was in the air and his tackle was aimed high. You could see his eyes looking directly at AR's helmut. It was vicious.

Ohio State maybe winning the conference year after year, but its graduation rate is not stellar. It rose from the bottom of the conference, but is still in the bottom half of the conference. I'll give the Iowa player and coaches credit of still being student athletes. Iowa was third among big ten teams in graduation rate and this year nine members of the team were named academic big ten. All of life's lessons do not show up in the won-loss column.

GO HAWKS!!!

you know, people say they won't ever get caught up in the national title talk anymore. jon was wrong for predicting a 12-0 season and getting many of us, myself included, to go along with that theory. a play or 2 in each game and we ARE sitting at 12-0. the prediction was not that far off. every game we had a chance to win and that's really all you can ask for. call it "drinking the koolaid" or whatever you like, part of the fun of being a fan is getting caught up in whats possible for the season. 12-0 WAS possible and the boys were close to getting us there.

saturday was pretty emotional for me as well. slingin dick is my favorite hawkeye of all time and watching him walk through the tunnel for the last time was very emotional for me. i have a picture of clayborn, ballard, DJK, klug, and hunter all standing there waiting for their fellow seniors to join them. the talent in that picture is unreal and they will be hard shoes to fill.

the fly-over was amazing. felt like we literally got buzzed. felt that one right in the chest. awesome.

the game didn't turn out as we all hoped, but it was still a great game. that TD pass to mcnutt had the stadium pretty loud. good to see coker get some running going and get a score. really sad to see what happened to robinson. i watched it again last night and it was pass interference AND helmet to helmet. i really hope he's okay.

we still have one "game" left to go, but all-in-all i'm very proud of our hawkeyes and this years senior class. we have a lot of memories to thank them for and wish them nothing but the absolute best in their future endeavors. remember, they bled black and gold for at least 4 years. once a hawkeye, always a hawkeye

Another Iowa football Saturday, taking the game in from the sideline.
Of course, I didn’t care for the outcome, but there were some things I was witness to that I thought I’d share.

Before DJK’s name was announced, the students could tell he was up next…they began chanting ‘DJK! DJK! DJK’ and his lip began to quiver…he was clearly, clearly moved by the show of love and respect…perhaps more than any other player I saw on Saturday. For a guy that didn’t speak to the media for most of his career, partly due to his coach’s decision and this year partly due to his own, I think this ovation was important to him and it had an impact.

As he was jogging through the tunnel of letter winners onto the field, he was holding back tears…and seeing that choked me up a bit. Wish the ending was more happy.

Another Iowa football Saturday, taking the game in from the sideline. Of course, I didn’t care for the outcome. But there were some things I was witness to that I thought I’d share with you.

Before DJK’s name was announced, the students could tell he was up next…they began chanting ‘DJK! DJK! DJK’ and his lip began to quiver…he was clearly, clearly moved by the show of love and respect…perhaps more than any other player I saw on Saturday. For a guy that didn’t speak to the media for most of his career, partly due to his coach’s decision and this year partly due to his own, I think this ovation, this outpouring of adulation, was meaningful to him and it had an impact.

As he was jogging through the tunnel of letter winners onto the field, he was holding back tears…and seeing that choked me up a bit.

I focused on him quite a bit during the game. You could tell he was giving it everything he had, perhaps more than I have ever seen from him. He was going at it all day with #1 for Ohio State, a lot of jawing. The catch DJK made after being pushed out of bounds was unreal. It didn’t count, as the call of pass interference was the ruling that was applied…but it was great effort.

Later in the game, Stanzi threw a ball deep to DJK, into double coverage and DJK was hauling! At the last second, he cut in front of one of the DB’s and nearly made an unbelievable catch, with unreal effort. I am not certain, but he might have been injured on that play, laying out so hard and changing direction so much. Later in the game, after Ohio State kicked off following their field goal, DJK returned the ball and you could tell he was hurting, something in his ribs. Not sure if it was a hit to the ribs or a muscle strain. It bothered him the rest of the game but there was no way he was going to leave the field.

I have offered ‘criticisms’ of DJK through the years, along the lines of ‘to whom much is given, much is expected.’ He was given amazing talent, and he obviously has worked hard honing that talent and putting time in the weight room. Play to play concentration seemed to be the biggest bugaboo in holding him back from being a force earlier in his career.

But to me, he is finishing real well and on Saturday, he showed great effort and heart. It’s been a pleasure watching him grow on the field….

I mentioned the tunnel that was created by former letter winners…I can tell you those people are thrilled that Kirk has started this tradition. I spoke to several former players as they waited for the seniors to come out, and they were honored to be back on the field….

Had a chance to chat with AJ Edds..his rehab is going well and he is eager to get back on the field and begin his NFL career…

Spoke with former basketball players Ryan Luehrsmann and Luke Recker quite a bit during the game. Luey has always been one of the nicest guys I have come across in this line of work. Recker was a part of the 2001-2002 Iowa team that began the season ranked in the Top Ten but ended…well, not so well. He recently returned to Iowa City with his wife and young daughter and told me he was so glad to be back in Iowa.

He’s not ‘from’ here. He’s an Indiana kid, who had a brief stay in Arizona before coming to Iowa. He’s seen a lot, been through a lot during his days and it’s neat to hear him express the same love of Iowa that us Iowa natives feel…

We all saw Adam Robinson lying motionless on the field after a questionable hit. After the game was over, Robinson was being helped off the field by a member of the support staff, holding his arm all the way. Robinson clearly had a ‘far away’ look to him and as Kirk Ferentz mentioned after the game, if he got ‘dinged’ again, which it certainly looked like he did, we wont see him next week….

As the final seconds wound down, I began to reflect on this senior class. They have accomplished a lot and delivered so many great memories. Yes, this season and the 7-4 record is fresh in our minds now, but they have a chance to win two more games and finish 9-4. If they do that, they will have won 29 games over the past three seasons,which would be tied for the second best three-year mark in school history, with the 1985-1987 Iowa teams.

Again, I realize that some folks don’t want to think about that right now and probably won’t until January. That won’t take away the emotions of unmet expectations, which are some of the most powerful emotions we experience. However, I just can’t throw away all they have done and the high-high’s they have delivered. Thanks for the memories, and here’s to making two more….
One more thing; the fly over by the fighter jets was unreal, and thanks to Tom, Patty and Dan Buroker for their hospitality all day and night and in letting me do ‘Soundoff’ from their home near the stadium.

I'm sure glad you didn't try to analyze the game and reflected more on the atmosphere, because the game was predictable.:mad:

nice article Jon - to the people criticizing the players and the coaches - you need to find a better outlet for your frustrations. These guys give their all and I'd guess they want to win more than we'll ever know.

Also - Jon - you have a paragraph or two repeated in the article.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to get choked up watching the seniors. I felt it again as I stood over the tunnel after the game, applauding the seniors on a great tenure here. They've given me a lot of memories, and in fact made my first semester of school bearable (had a LOUSY roommate freshman year). I've talked to DJK a couple times, and he really is a great guy. The way that guy can light up a room just by flashing that grin of his is uncanny. Just an instantly likeable guy, and he's matured A LOT in the past two years. That maturity is going to pay off for him in a few months. It's hard seeing these guys go, but unfortunately that's how things work.

Senior Day is always emotional for this ole hawk fan,and Saturday was among the most emotional,with this group of special seniors. Just clinging to the happy notion of two more wins watching these guys yet this year.
Ricky,DJK,Tarp,Reisner,Morse,Julian,Colin,Chaney,Greenie,Adrian,Christian,Karl,Jerimiha,Ryan...itis a great crew, and I am proud to have known them.

This isn't an exact representation of what happened. I was sitting on the front row, about 10 seats from the tunnel. DJK was a wreck long before he got to the head of the line, shaking his head, he went to his knees once, and yes, he was crying. I was surprised because I was expecting AC to get more emotional than he did.

Why do I say this? When the student section noticed DJK was getting soooo emotional, that's when the DJK cheer started & it actually seemed to lift DJK up a little bit. It was a pretty neat thing to witness. I got it all on video but I have enough respect for the players on our team to not put it on the interweb. I share it because I am pretty proud of how our fans have supported the hawks this year.

This is a great post. I think it is very easy for hawkeye fans to look at this season as a failure which if you look at our team we have this year, there is no doubt in my mind we could be the ones playing in the Rose bowl this year.

I do agree that what these seniors have done for the program has been terrific and I will miss watching these guys play in the black and gold. Right now hawk fans will be looking at the small picture and that is what they have done this year, but after the season they need to look at what these guys have done to put Iowa football back on the map.

Actually some of the talent on this team is amazing and I don't think what I've seen is anything but appreciation regarding the players. While they are kids and do make mistakes, like adults, some of the mistakes the coaching staff has made at $4+MM dollars in salary after 12 years just at Iowa is borderline coaching malpractice.

154619_1467521971925_1349842580_31015342_906781_n.jpg

With everything that's being said, there will never be a better moment than those Iowa Hawkeyes taking the field for the last time in Kinnick.

More imortantly, I can't say how great it is to see a great player/person replace Timmy Dwight in the record books.

Great job DJK and you will always be at home in Iowa!!!!

Latest posts