What does IOWA need to do to be successful

BSpringsteen

Interesting column in the PC about whose fault this is. Basically saying Alford was successful before and after Iowa and Lick was successful before Iowa...

Although I think that Hlas was right, this just wasn't the right fit. I do think that Lickliter is a great basketball tactician, just not a great CEO of the Iowa BBall Program.

So once this goes down, does Barta look at the situation and think about what Iowa needs to do to become successful, and realize it isn't JUST the coach?

Here is my list of what Iowa needs to do to be a successful program.

1. Kids grow up wanting to be Hawkeyes, don't let them become Tarheels. We MUST protect our borders.

2. Embrace the talent in surrounding states... Nebraska bball isn't competition. Kids in Minneapolis are pro sports fans, not necessarily Gopher fans. Same with Chicago... kids don't grow up wanting to play for the Illini, they grow up wanting to play for the Bulls. There is no reason that Omaha, Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis should not be Hawkeye country.

3. Home is where the heart is. You must present an environment that creates a huge home court advantage.

4. Facilities... enough has been said on the subject.

5. Style. We live in the sportscenter era. Have highlights, have alley-oops. The optics of the program are hugely important.

6. Branding. I remember Alford in his introductory press conference saying that the deal he had with Nike was going to put Iowa hats next to Michigan and North Carolina ones... problem is I never remember that happening.

Recruiting to Iowa should be very easy... Iowa City is one of the greatest college towns in the country, and I've been to most of them. New facilities are being created... bring in exciting basketball that competes and fans come back...

There is no reason that Iowa should not expect to compete for the Big Ten title every year... not win it every year, but they should always start the season being in the conversation.

It will take:

1. The right coach with the right style and recruiting abilities with an outgoing personality...you know, BP! (couldn't resist)

2. Getting more students into the game and closer to the floor (Alford tried, but it didn't take off like everyone had hoped)

3. Get the old farts who sit on their hands further away from the court (love the donations, but not the silence and knitting)

4. Just win baby!

Edit: Also, when you say "protect our borders" let's have that include people coming IN as well...NO MORE ORANGE CRUSH IN OUR HOUSE!

I dont think we need to worry about moving the "old farts" further from the court until the young farts start supporting the team and go to the games.

I dont think we need to worry about moving the "old farts" further from the court until the young farts start supporting the team and go to the games.

Well that part was assumed in my points...if noone's going, it's moot. I'm talking about atmosphere even in a full house...where the old timers tell you to sit down when you stand up to cheer a great play.

Can we at least compromise with a "No knitting, no sleeping, must be able to stand when EVERY OTHER PERSON in the arena is standing rule" then?

-and they can't get mad if someone is standing and cheering in front of them. This has happened to me.

The thing that bothers me about whoever sits in the rows 1-20ish is that with a minute or two to go in the game (winning or losing) everyone gets out of their seat and walks up to watch it from the top so they can "beat the rush out of the game". i mean seriously, does this really save alot of time? from the players and people left in their seats standpoint it looks like everyone is leaving.

The thing that bothers me about whoever sits in the rows 1-20ish is that with a minute or two to go in the game (winning or losing) everyone gets out of their seat and walks up to watch it from the top so they can "beat the rush out of the game". i mean seriously, does this really save alot of time? from the players and people left in their seats standpoint it looks like everyone is leaving.

I never got that either...do you want to be there or not!?!?

Latest posts