What are the chances of a post season tourney?

DuffMan

I'm not naive enough to thin NCAA unless something crazy happens in the B10 tourney. I don't really think the NIT happens either, unless we finish .500 or better in the B10. So what's it going to take to get a bid into the CBI?

Well for starters we need to be at least .500. we are currently at 11-8, with 12 games remaining in conference play. That means we need to go no worse than 5-7 the rest of the way. If we go 4-8 then we need to win at least 2 conference tourney games to be eligible. 5-7 is a pretty daunting task, and it really highlights how bad our off-season performance was. The Campbell loss in particular is a real bear.

So we need 5 wins, that sounds difficult. Yes it does, but I think its do-able. To begin with we've just finished the nastiest part of our schedule. The fact we went 3-3 playing the teams we did is nothing short of amazing when take in context with what Iowa basketball has been over the last 3 years. Out of the 12 remaining games we have Nebby, Penn State, and NW twice. We won't win all, but going 3-3 seems completely reasonable, and 4-2 at minimum seems possible.

If we take for granted 3-3 (I realize that's an awful lot to take for granted) that means we need to find two remaining wins. Well, we play both Minn and Wisky at Carver after beating both on the road. Weve also got Purdue and weve already played them tough.

What it might come down to is getting one win out of our two against Indiana and one on the road at Champagne.

Call me nuts but I certainly see a couple of "roads to victory" here, the best being going 4-2 against the bottom of the B10 and pulling out just one victory out of Purdue on the road, Minn and Wisky at home, Home and away against Indiana, and on the road at Illannoy.

About as good as the chances that you'll actually bag a healthy adult buck some day.

I just think the way the schedule lays out we get the job done. If we sweep either Nebby or PSU, and split with the other + teh ***** cats its hard to imagine us not getting another win.

Honestly I think it takes a few more packed houses for Iowa to get into a post season tournament. The 2 tournaments outside the NCAA & NIT are all about selling tickets and Iowa needs to show the fan base will come out and watch them play. Oregon has gotten into these tournaments just off the strength of their fan base, even with a losing record.

Does the Big Ten even allow teams to play in the CBI or CIT? Most BCS conferences don't.

I would say .500 with a couple more wins against tourney teams from the Big.

Really is the best thing for this team to get into a post-season tourney where they can play their games at home. Fans will show up for tournament games. If the team can put some wins together, it will carry excitement over to the next year.

With the football team likely to be down next year, it will be a great time to get some excitement going for the hoops program.

I thought you had to be at least .500 to make a tourney.

Oregon was only 16-17 last year and got invited into the CBI tournament and they ended up winning it.

Oregon State was 13-17 when they were invited to it in 2009 and they also won it.

Last edited:
Does the Big Ten even allow teams to play in the CBI or CIT? Most BCS conferences don't.

You might have a point here as I do not think a Big Ten school has ever been invited to either the CBI or the CollegeInsider tournaments.

I think the NIT is a realistic goal for this team. As well as a non-losing conference record. They are both "goals" so neither is automatic or even likely, but certainly an achievable aspiration.

I'd put our NIT chances at 30%. I think we still probably have a couple bad losses left, but we'll see if we can use this to get some momentum going.

Latest posts