What are keys to beating PU?

uihawk82

I have read that they do not shoot the trey near as well on the road or even play as well on the road.

But I think the hawks need to identify those long bombers and get up in their chest. And in the previous game some of those guys were launching and hitting from 24-25 feet so pick them up early.

Hawks played a messy game in the first half before so play clean with the ball on offense the whole game.

Any other thoughts from the people that may have watched more PU bball than the one game of theirs that I have watched.

Purdue killed us on the offensive boards at Mackey to start the game. That might be something to keep an eye on. We struggled to secure defensive rebounds against Penn State I thought.

Purdue killed us on the offensive boards at Mackey to start the game. That might be something to keep an eye on. We struggled to secure defensive rebounds against Penn State I thought.

This is where I'm at as well. PU sucks balls on the road shooting, but rebounding doesn't have a home court advantage. So we need to body them up and not give up second chances.

1. Start out in man-to-man D. Because of their last game vs the Hawks the Boilers will come in confident from beyond the arc -- can't let them get ANY open shots to start the game, so no zone at the beginning.
2. Insert Kriener into the starting line-up. We need to reduce Purdue offensive rebounds and he's the guy who can help do it. It's also Senior Night...he's given a lot to the program and frankly could have been a starter at a lot of D-I schools and played more minutes. He's been all-in with Iowa and he deserves a start on Sr. Night -- especially when it's the right thing to do strategy-wise.

PU isn’t that good. And they’re less than that on the road. The 1st game...like DePaul...is an outlier. The only thing they have on their side is extra rest and prep time. I predict they aren’t going to enjoy this game very much.

Yes Penn St the other day started off with 4 early offensive rebounds to the hawks zero. But the hawks, Fran's strategy, better blocking out etc evened that out.

A team that has more turnovers and gives up more offensive rebounds is bound to lose unless the shoot lights out

The key to beating Purdue is making sure our players dont get lost on the way to the arena.

We kept their NCAA hopes alive once. We won't do it a second time.

I have read that they do not shoot the trey near as well on the road or even play as well on the road.

But I think the hawks need to identify those long bombers and get up in their chest. And in the previous game some of those guys were launching and hitting from 24-25 feet so pick them up early.

Hawks played a messy game in the first half before so play clean with the ball on offense the whole game.

Any other thoughts from the people that may have watched more PU bball than the one game of theirs that I have watched.
Score more points???

Yes Penn St the other day started off with 4 early offensive rebounds to the hawks zero. But the hawks, Fran's strategy, better blocking out etc evened that out.

A team that has more turnovers and gives up more offensive rebounds is bound to lose unless the shoot lights out
Honestly I dont care that much about offensive rebounds. Sure it's frustrating but it means the other team is missing shots. As I've said before, most studies will show that there is no statistical significance between an increased number of offensive rebounds and wins. Playing a good zone and forcing the other team to shoot 3s will cause strange bounces. I would rather play a team that is missing shots and getting offensive rebounds than a team that is making shots. The last time we played Purdue they had 1 more offensive rebound than us.

Latest posts