What about Bobby Knight

Last night on ESPN, they had Coach Knight on talking about the tournament and the impact of seedings. At the end they included a comment from his son Pat, that essentially said that he would not be surprised if he got back into coaching or if he stayed with ESPN either. Essentially that the right job would be interesting. Coach Knight answered saying that he has thought about getting back into coaching.

Would there be much interest there? You know he would do it his way and would do all that he could to throttle Indiana every time they played.

It would not be a long term answer but might be interesting.

Thoughts?

Last night on ESPN, they had Coach Knight on talking about the tournament and the impact of seedings. At the end they included a comment from his son Pat, that essentially said that he would not be surprised if he got back into coaching or if he stayed with ESPN either. Essentially that the right job would be interesting. Coach Knight answered saying that he has thought about getting back into coaching.

Would there be much interest there? You know he would do it his way and would do all that he could to throttle Indiana every time they played.

It would not be a long term answer but might be interesting.

Thoughts?

I would be fine with it. In that case we would have him a few years. So we would need an assistant that would take over for him after 3 years or so. It would be similar to what Drake did with Mr. Davis right?

Best thing I like about it is that he would sell seats right away.

I would be fine with it. In that case we would have him a few years. So we would need an assistant that would take over for him after 3 years or so. It would be similar to what Drake did with Mr. Davis right?

Obviously Drake is a different animal entirely, but I'm not against something like this for Iowa at all. If you listen to the man on ESPN, he definitely knows just about everything there is to know about the game.....plus, he explains it in maybe the most plain, easy-to-understand language I've ever heard from a coach.....it's actually pretty cool to listen to.

Obviously for this to work, he'd have to have assistants who had great, established recruiting connections/pipelines because Knight ain't recruiting....he'll close, but he ain't making all the calls.

He'd certainly be a "splash" hire because there's not a lot of fence sitting when it comes to Bob Knight....you either love him or despise him.

In the end, if this is the "worst" we can do, then I have no issue with it. But only after Barta goes down with guns a blazin' with the "big boys".

What do you care if seats get sold? I want a winner, not a name. Bob Knight transformed Tech from a joke to a mediocre team, then gave it to his son. If we gave the job to a 70 year old sociopath (to sell tickets), he would do the same thing, then give the team to his son when he gets fired after next year.

Ghost used the word "mediocre," and that, IMO, is correct. With someone like Knight at the helm, Iowa basketball would be pulled from the cellar for sure, but would most likely be stuck, as A.W. Tozer would say, hovering through "the misty lowlands of mediocrity."

Not to mention Knight is an angry man who has problems with his lack of self control. He's better off sticking with his ESPN gig. And Iowa basketball would be too.

What do you care if seats get sold? I want a winner, not a name. Bob Knight transformed Tech from a joke to a mediocre team, then gave it to his son. If we gave the job to a 70 year old sociopath (to sell tickets), he would do the same thing, then give the team to his son when he gets fired after next year.

Program needs to make money along with winning. You make money by selling seats. If a name gets hired we will sell over 10,000 season tickets next year. What did we sell this year, 5,000? If we spend the money for a name then the program needs to make money to justify it. I also understand if we win seats will sell, but I am talking about right away next year. With a name coach our season ticket sales would double. That was my point about the fact that he would sell seats.

Ghost used the word "mediocre," and that, IMO, is correct. With someone like Knight at the helm, Iowa basketball would be pulled from the cellar for sure, but would most likely be stuck, as A.W. Tozer would say, hovering through "the misty lowlands of mediocrity."

Not to mention Knight is an angry man who has problems with his lack of self control. He's better off sticking with his ESPN gig. And Iowa basketball would be too.

I would take three years of the middle of the pack in the Big Ten and make the NCAA tournament 2 of the 3 years. Atleast we would be relevant in March again. He would not be a permanent fix, thats why he would need a quality assistant to take over once done. We would be better off then we are now. Plus Texas Tech was a joke of a program when he took over, I wouldn't think we are that much of a joke yet.

I think we can do better and should shoot higher. There is no reason the right coach couldn't turn us into a 4 seed in the tournament in 3-4 years. I don't see Bobby Knight doing that.

I think we can do better and should shoot higher. There is no reason the right coach couldn't turn us into a 4 seed in the tournament in 3-4 years. I don't see Bobby Knight doing that.

I agree, but right now I would take just getting in the tournament. I think he could do that. Be done in 3 years and have a quality assistant thats been getting the players for him take over. The name would sell, the assistant would then take over in three years. People would be happy with it and the former assistant could continue to build. I think we could do a lot worse then Bob Knight.

Check out the video that Iba put up on Bobby going 8-10 in the Big 10!

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/7418-bob-knight.html

I would take three years of the middle of the pack in the Big Ten and make the NCAA tournament 2 of the 3 years. Atleast we would be relevant in March again. He would not be a permanent fix, thats why he would need a quality assistant to take over once done. We would be better off then we are now. Plus Texas Tech was a joke of a program when he took over, I wouldn't think we are that much of a joke yet.

Regarding grooming a great coach to take over- I wouldn't want Knight being a part of that process- of either grooming our next coach, or of deciding who that coach is going to be. What would Knight care about the future of Iowa basketball once he was gone?

Latest posts