West Virginia - Big XII Travel Issues

eyekwah

There might be a little second guessing going on in Morgantown.

Big 12 Commissioner Discusses WVU Travel, Expansion - WVU Football, WVU Basketball, News - Mountaineer Sports

"I can tell you the dust has settled around us," Bowlsby said about expansion. "I think people were shocked and surprised by the Big Ten's move to take Maryland and Rutgers. They certainly didn't add teams at the top of their league. They added teams that have very significant financial gains and probably to be frank, don't bring the level of the competitiveness that the rest of the Big Ten has. I think that served to calm things down a bit. I would never say never, there could be other changes on the horizon."

If two more teams leave the ACC for the B1G it is a good bet West Virginia will want to reconsider it Big XII decision.

If WVU would have been more competitive in Football and Basketball the travel issue would not be such an issue. Yes they are on an island but good lord they are 20 something kids they can handle it, it's not like they are flying to China every other week. I like WVU in the Big 12 but does it make sense? Probably not, but if crap hits the fan and we get more ACC schools that won't make any more sense but that is the mighty dollar barking again. That being said **** this realingment crap. I wish everything went back to the way it used to be.

You'd think WVU would be able to use the travel to their advantage, at least for their home games. Instead of focusing on how far they have to go for each of their road trips, think of it this way - they're the longest trip of the year for every single team they play.

As far as Bowlsby is concerned, I'm not sure what his beef is. Delaney has been playing a different game than every other conference commissioner since day 1. Hence telling ESPN to go **** themselves and forming the BTN. Hence adding a national brand in Nebraska, and then (with Rutgers and Maryland) adding millions of potential BTN subscribers in the mid-Atlantic region. Adding Rutgers and Maryland wasn't about getting a couple of nationally known powerhouses.

More expressed unhappiness from West Virginia. Bowlsby keeps saying the Big 12 is not open to expansion. Somehow I get the feeling that WVU is finding being in the Big 12 more a hassle than what it is worth.

"But, now that WVU is in the Big 12 Conference, we’ve learned that WVU’s Hawley Field is not good enough for that league’s other teams. Perhaps that’s understandable, though.

And if it is, why didn’t the WVU powers-that-be look at that before overreacting in joining the Big 12? In the haste to become a member, why didn’t they also realize that West Virginia U. was shortchanging its 32,000 students — if not a greater number than that already?

No one can afford to go to any road games in Texas, Kansas, Iowa or any of those other faraway Southern/Midwest states."

Did WVU overreact in joining the Big 12? » MICKEY FURFARI » Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV