Wes Washpun - internet fodder

hawkeye12345

Story here in TN is that WW didn't qualify and will not be on the TN basketball team. Interesting to see if true AND if Fran makes another run at the kid.

If he does I'd take it as a bad sign. He was a backup plan to deal with the Culley schollie opening up plain and simple. If he fit into Fran's overall plan he would have had an offer earlier.

He's got great athleticism but he can't shoot and at 5-9ish would be a defensive liability.

Duff, Washpun is a legit six feet tall (at least). Furthermore, defense is where he would excel for the Hawkeyes, at least initially.

If he is only 5'9", this video would suggest he has elite athleticism at any level of basketball, not just DI.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUkn3FNWz0"]Wes Washpun monster dunk - YouTube[/ame]

Duff, Washpun is a legit six feet tall (at least). Furthermore, defense is where he would excel for the Hawkeyes, at least initially.

If he is only 5'9", this video would suggest he has elite athleticism at any level of basketball, not just DI.

Wes Washpun monster dunk - YouTube

He does have elite athleticism at any level. He's as athletic as any PG in the NBA. He's not 6 feet I guarantee you that.

I have no clue if the staff has any interest in pursuing Washpun, but if you think he couldn't help this team on both ends of the floor, you haven't seen him play. I was never a big Washpun fan, but he is at another level athletically. Knocking a incoming freshman PG's jumper is absurd IMO. I want a pg that can break his guy down, draw another defender and kick or finish, not jack up perimeter shots.

I have no clue if the staff has any interest in pursuing Washpun, but if you think he couldn't help this team on both ends of the floor, you haven't seen him play. I was never a big Washpun fan, but he is at another level athletically. Knocking a incoming freshman PG's jumper is absurd IMO. I want a pg that can break his guy down, draw another defender and kick or finish, not jack up perimeter shots.

I'm not talking about jacking up perimeter jump shots. I'm talking about shooting more than 50% from the line.

If he didn't qualify for TN how would he qualify for U of I?

He won't. He'll end up at a Juco for a few years and go through the recruiting process again. Unless he dramatically improves some aspects of his game by the time he's eligible to play Iowa will be so far advanced from where it is now he won't get a sniff.

What's up with these Wash kids academics? Washpun, Oglesby, K Davis. All had some sort of issues.

What's up with these Wash kids academics? Washpun, Oglesby, K Davis. All had some sort of issues.
You blanket statement make it sound like all three had grade issues. Olglesby didn't have grade issues, he needed an additional class which he has taken care of. Not sure on Davis.

yes, TN has cracked down; they have adopted the new SEC standard- you have to be able to either read or write.

I'm actually surprised that he even got an offer from Tennessee to begin with. Rumors at school (not Wash) were that he was nowhere close to being eligible.

"hasnt TN cracked down on academics for their athletes somewhat recently?"

Yes, they have...incoming players now have to be able to read and write and do basic math.

Please stop the rumor mill, Wes is presently at Tennessee and enrolled in class. And for the record Wes stand's at 6'1. Wes initially had a problem with a class taken on line that didn't qualitfy. This thing happens all the time, that's why kids need to be checking on there grades and classes taken. I would not leave it up to a guidance counselor, and if you do you will be subject to rumors like what happen to wes and others. Plus it suck's to think your in and then they say " that class you took does not count".

Really, an online course taken in highschool didn't meet academic requirements to enter a university? Color me shocked.

Latest posts