Wentzel is so right....it hurts

SDK46

College football playoff plan - College Football - Rivals.com

Rather than get weeks of intriguing, high-stakes playoff games played in raucous on campus stadiums, we get one-off bowl games in rarely sold-out municipal stadiums with curious matchups based on ticket sales, potential TV ratings and all sorts of other things that don’t involve actual on-field accomplishment.

Instead college football continues to outsource its postseason. No other team sport, and really no other business, would let someone else run their most important and profitable product. And they would really, truly never hand it over to people who readily admit are motivated by something other than what’s best for the sport. That’s what college football does with bowl games.

This is the only playoff format I could potentially support...

BCS conference champs, top two seeds get a bye. I'm not interested in Boise State or Notre Dame, they can join one of the six conferences if they want to play for a national champion.

First two rounds would be on campus, with the finals alternating at current BCS sites.

Unfortunately what the BCS has done is make numerous bowls irrelevant and/or make some teams disappointed with any bowl that's not the NC game.

This is the only playoff format I could potentially support...

BCS conference champs, top two seeds get a bye. I'm not interested in Boise State or Notre Dame, they can join one of the six conferences if they want to play for a national champion.

First two rounds would be on campus, with the finals alternating at current BCS sites.

Good point, one which CaarHawk brought up to me to think about.

That works only if conferences are willing to accept members into it.

However, this year, with 11 conferences and 5-at larges, according to Wentzel's chart, it works. Boise gets hosed, but then again, they played such as weak-@ss schedule, too bad. Pony up and get into a real league or schedule better teams.

Great plan. He has written about this before.

The only thing I don't agree with is his take on the bowls. I couldn't possibly care less if the survive. All I want to see is a playoff.

Great plan. He has written about this before.

The only thing I don't agree with is his take on the bowls. I couldn't possibly care less if the survive. All I want to see is a playoff.

The article is part of his book, "Death to the BCS" which is available on Amazon for about $15.

If you're a college FB fan, you'll find it to be a fascinating read...especially when you consider just how badly the BCS is hosing the game, the schools, the fans and the players.

Last edited:
Playoff is needed. Wetzles plan is nothing new. I would make 2 tweaks to what he put forth: 1) Conference Champs get in automatically only if conference has at least 10 teams; 2) Teams with more than 3 losses are excluded, no matter what.

My first round would then be ...

16 UCF @ 1 Auburn
15 Nevada @ 2 Oregon
14 Oklahoma St @ 3 TCU
11 Boise @ 4 Stanford
12 Missouri @ 5 Wisconsin
13 Virginia Tech @ 6 Ohio St
10 LSU @ 7 Oklahoma
9 Michigan St @ 8 Arkansas

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40mhBE5MpbA]YouTube - Jim Mora playoffs[/ame]

Latest posts