Well, the BPI likes Iowa hoops

InGoodCo

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ll-bpi-likes-michigan-state-skeptical-memphis

not that I put a bunch of stock in these at all... but Iowa # 20. When the national guys are high on the Hawks and the locals say "uh....hold up here" ...I tend to lean towards the local prognosticators. They have their finger on the pulse much better IMO. Locally, there aren't too many predictions above middle of road B1G. But #20 on ESPN's BPI, Lunardi having us in the dance in his bracketology from a few weeks ago, would indicate that there is at least some hope that Iowa might be decent this season. Maybe we should be more excited for hoops?
  • Quantity of experience on roster (including transfers)

• Quality of that experience

• Recruiting rankings for incoming freshmen, with an extra emphasis on five-star players

• Coach's past performance

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ll-bpi-likes-michigan-state-skeptical-memphis

not that I put a bunch of stock in these at all... but Iowa # 20. When the national guys are high on the Hawks and the locals say "uh....hold up here" ...I tend to lean towards the local prognosticators. They have their finger on the pulse much better IMO. Locally, there aren't too many predictions above middle of road B1G. But #20 on ESPN's BPI, Lunardi having us in the dance in his bracketology from a few weeks ago, would indicate that there is at least some hope that Iowa might be decent this season. Maybe we should be more excited for hoops?
  • Quantity of experience on roster (including transfers)

• Quality of that experience

• Recruiting rankings for incoming freshmen, with an extra emphasis on five-star players

• Coach's past performance
I’m not surprised by that. It doesn’t take into account the Bohannon injury I’m guessing. I think if all goes well this team can surprise some folks.

There are so many unknowns this season with new faces. I'm just gonna try holding off as much judgment as possible until conference play. If we're barely squeaking by the early cupcakes, I'll probably be pretty pessimistic, but hopefully that doesn't happen.

There are so many unknowns this season with new faces. I'm just gonna try holding off as much judgment as possible until conference play. If we're barely squeaking by the early cupcakes, I'll probably be pretty pessimistic, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
Not saying you’re wrong becuase I’ll do the same, but last year we struggled against some cupcakes and then looked like world beaters at Madison Square Garden.

I’m not surprised by that. It doesn’t take into account the Bohannon injury I’m guessing. I think if all goes well this team can surprise some folks.
I feel that way too. I am cautiously optimistic. I am trying not to get too high of an expectation. I expect the NCAA out of the program in general every year. Doesn't always mean I think they "will" make it, but that's my ground floor expectation. I guess I am just feeling like the pulse of this board is pretty down on things coming into the year.

They've got some early season tests tho plus the conference season fucking starts in the beginning of Dec again for 2 games, then goes away for a month. So, hopefully we'll know sooner.

I feel that way too. I am cautiously optimistic. I am trying not to get too high of an expectation. I expect the NCAA out of the program in general every year. Doesn't always mean I think they "will" make it, but that's my ground floor expectation. I guess I am just feeling like the pulse of this board is pretty down on things coming into the year.
It’s been such a crazy offseason and we have a few unknowns. I believe there is reason to believe we are underrated, primarily CJF and Nunge.

The Bohannon thing is the biggest. If he’s a full go not only do you get his shooting and clutch, but all that experience. Then you have 4th year guys Kriener and Pemsl, a 5th year guy in Evelyn, Garza entering his third year already, and not to mention Joe W who is projected as a 1st Team All B1G player. That’s a pretty quality core of experience and talent and then mix in hopefully Nunge and Frederick who I’m hoping are starter quality players, you have the making of a team that could finish much higher in the B1G than the projections say.

I’m trying not to get too confident though. It could easily go the other way and fall apart. That happened two years ago and was not very fun.

Yeah ESPN has Iowa predicted to finish 9th in the conference. Whats wild to me is BPI gives Iowa a 72% chance to make the NCAA tournament. That seems insanely high.

Iowa has a lot of those classic Fran head-scratcher games against teams I never knew existed, but their non-conference is also pretty brutal. Texas Tech, Creighton or SDSU, at Iowa State (in Ames), Cincy, at Syracuse. How many of those 5 games can we realistically predict Iowa to win? 1? 2? 0?

I'm struggling to be optimistic. It's hard to expect much because as of right now we still don't have the stud PG we have desperately needed Fran's entire tenure and the unknowns of Nunge, CJ, Joe T , JBo health etc just create a ton of uncertainty and what ifs. There is just so much "if Nunge is the real deal" or "if CJ is really a player" that its anyone's guess right now. I can't get Ogelsby out of my head when I think about CJ ha ha. I recall Fran hyping him all the time about being the greatest shooter and never misses in practice blah blah blach. I used to believe Fran's hyperbole but now I have to see with my own eyes and how it equates to games.

We know we have All Big Ten level players with Garza and Joe W. If we somehow luck out for once and some of those what if players are better than expected then I'll be on the bandwagon. It shouldn't take long to figure out of those guys can play.

I'm struggling to be optimistic. It's hard to expect much because as of right now we still don't have the stud PG we have desperately needed Fran's entire tenure and the unknowns of Nunge, CJ, Joe T , JBo health etc just create a ton of uncertainty and what ifs. There is just so much "if Nunge is the real deal" or "if CJ is really a player" that its anyone's guess right now. I can't get Ogelsby out of my head when I think about CJ ha ha. I recall Fran hyping him all the time about being the greatest shooter and never misses in practice blah blah blach. I used to believe Fran's hyperbole but now I have to see with my own eyes and how it equates to games.

We know we have All Big Ten level players with Garza and Joe W. If we somehow luck out for once and some of those what if players are better than expected then I'll be on the bandwagon. It shouldn't take long to figure out of those guys can play.
I don’t think anything you said here is unfair. As you said we will find out soon enough.

I’m pretty confident in the CJF hype because I’ve heard it from other places other than Fran. Dating back to last year I read stuff on TOS from ppl that see practice that he was a stud. I think someone said Pemsl called him a baller or something along those lines. If it just came from Fran I’d be like ya okay, but I’ve heard it several times on several different outlets. I’m hopeful that will turn out to be the truth.

Iowa has enough good, quality experience to take advantage of some of these teams in the early part of the season. I see Iowa having a very good pre conference season setting themselves up to be in the dance at the end.

I'm really going into this season with no expectations. Eager to see all the new faces. Especially my boy Toussaint!

Besides, you gotta love a team with 2 Joe's on it.

Latest posts