Weismann

springfieldhawk

Isn't MW a great nfl prospect at FB?

I believe the move for mark to FB is best for him and the team. A 1000 yard rusher at the FB position is interesting. I believe he would be a devastating blocker. He would be a we open in short passing game too

Daniels or Canzeri behind MW is an exciting option.

I believe mark is an nfl FB.

Thoughts

Purdue used to have a kid out of Joliet by the name of Mike Alstott. Mike went on to have a very good career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Weisman reminds me of a faster, better version of Mike Alstott. The guy would be absolutely devastating on the quick handoff to the up back in the NFL because of his speed, vision and shiftiness. He has proven to be a great pass blocker and excellent receiver out of the backfield. I could see an offensive minded team like the Eagles picking him in probably the second round. Only knock at this point is that he needs a little more experience as a run blocker, but given how good he is with the ball in his hands, that is something he will likely need to work on in the NFL because I see no one on Iowa's depth chart who will displace him at halfback.

I see what you are thinking and I am fine with him being used at fb but cox and plewa maybe better as fbs at this point. Plus Weisman is very unlikely at making an nfl roster as a fb. 25 teams carry fbs on their rosters (my guess that number goes down). If each has 2 fbs (which they don't) that means that you are saying Weisman is one of the top 50 fbs in football (can't see that). Most teams use h-backs instead of fbs anymore as a h-back is more versatile (playing fb, te, and slot receiver). And Weisman isn't athletic enough to play h-back. My thought is he could be a solid short yardage back and play some fb but he isn't a 20+ carry back and he isn't a true fb...he is a tweener. He would have been a great triple option fb (like he originally was set to do before he transferred to Iowa). If he hadn't had to switch to rb because of injuries I think he would be a solid fb but I think he won't be any better than what we already have by switching him back full time.

Purdue used to have a kid out of Joliet by the name of Mike Alstott. Mike went on to have a very good career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Weisman reminds me of a faster, better version of Mike Alstott. The guy would be absolutely devastating on the quick handoff to the up back in the NFL because of his speed, vision and shiftiness. He has proven to be a great pass blocker and excellent receiver out of the backfield. I could see an offensive minded team like the Eagles picking him in probably the second round. Only knock at this point is that he needs a little more experience as a run blocker, but given how good he is with the ball in his hands, that is something he will likely need to work on in the NFL because I see no one on Iowa's depth chart who will displace him at halfback.

Except the eagles don't use a fb and he isn't faster than alstott.

Very few NFL teams use a fullback in these days.
Isn't MW a great nfl prospect at FB?

I believe the move for mark to FB is best for him and the team. A 1000 yard rusher at the FB position is interesting. I believe he would be a devastating blocker. He would be a we open in short passing game too

Daniels or Canzeri behind MW is an exciting option.

I believe mark is an nfl FB.

Thoughts

Very few NFL teams use a fullback in these days.

I checked...25 of 32 teams carry fbs...but I think that number will go down and most only carry 1. As a lot of times the back up fb is a back up te...otherwise known as a h-back

Just because you are a big running back, doesn't mean you will be a great FB. Weisman is SLOW in comparison to college athletes. He will look like a glacier in the NFL. If you want to be a FB you have to be an excellent blocker and be able to catch very well. Weisman is much more suited to be RB and I can't imagine he ever sees the field with an NFL team beyond pre-season. Nothing to be ashamed of, plenty of great players never make it past college.

I think he could be a good FB. We haven't used the FB much on a regular basis since Cerevates or Jeremy Allen.

Mark Weisman is 7th among returning big 10 players in rushing from last year despite splitting carries and being injured midseason. He also open things up in the passing game since teams have to load the box to stop him. In 2013 Iowa was 6-2 with a healthy MW.

Not getting him a lot of carries in 2014-2015 would be absurd. I would like to see some schemes next year that will make it even more difficult for teams to defend him. Such as 2 rb sets, counters, just opening things up for him even more. It takes 3 guys to bring him down so if they can get opposing defenses attention elsewhere they can get ut down to 1 or 2 tackles for him to break, he will. If healthy he will have a huge year next year, and he will help the team by opening up the field for other players to make plays.

For those of you that posted about Weisman being slower than Mike Allstott you are incorrect. Allstott ran a 4.66 40 yard dash, Weisman ran a 4.58 40 yard dash. So if Allstott was fast enough so is Weisman.

For those of you that posted about Weisman being slower than Mike Allstott you are incorrect. Allstott ran a 4.66 40 yard dash, Weisman ran a 4.58 40 yard dash. So if Allstott was fast enough so is Weisman.

I agree. Sometimes bigger guys just look slower than the really are. For what it's worth, Weisman has a better 40 time than Shonn Greene who ran a 4.62 in the NFL combine.

SHONN GREENE 40 YARD DASH TIME

The fastest I have seen Weisman having a time in the low 4.7 range.

I just want to see the top 4 backs all get about equal carries in the first couple games. That should sort it out. None of last year's absurdity where Weisman got 35 carries in a game against some nobody.

That was what I had heard, too. Weisman looks slower because of two reasons. One, Davis doesn't know how to use him. Two, the defensive players are faster now than they were when Alstott played. I'm telling ya, if Weisman develops as a run blocker, he can play in the NFL. He's not going to run for 1000 yards or anything, but he could be a darn nice role player.

Latest posts