Wegher-Bombs in 2010

DeanMarshall

Let me be the first to say that I'm really interested to see the Running Back situation develop, next year. I'm perfectly fine with Brandon Wegher carrying the load, for Iowa, for the next 3 years.

Adam Robinson will also get his carries.

So, what can any of the 'insiders' tell us about Jewel's progress, in terms of getting back out on the field?

The early line on Wegher-bombs, in 2010, is, coincidentally 10.

:)

Let me be the first to say that I'm really interested to see the Running Back situation develop, next year. I'm perfectly fine with Brandon Wegher carrying the load, for Iowa, for the next 3 years.

Adam Robinson will also get his carries.

So, what can any of the 'insiders' tell us about Jewel's progress, in terms of getting back out on the field?

The early line on Wegher-bombs, in 2010, is, coincidentally 10.

:)

Wegher will move into a slot position role... he is great in open space. It will be Hampton followed by A-rob and Brinson next year (unless Brinson is hurt again) than you may see wegher at rb again... but who knows with Coker coming in.

Wegher will move into a slot position role... he is great in open space. It will be Hampton followed by A-rob and Brinson next year (unless Brinson is hurt again) than you may see wegher at rb again... but who knows with Coker coming in.

Not saying you are not correct, but how do you know this????

I know this has been mentioned before but Wegher would be perfect to make the transition that Golden Tate made. Put Wegher out in space and let him do work! Especially with Campbell working with him. Loook at how McNutt has progressed!

Wegher came to Iowa understanding he would get to run the football didn't he? I do agree the kid is money in space and would be excellent in the slot, but I believe he turned down other schools who wanted to move him from RB. I'm really hoping the Orange Bowl was his breakout game and it is only up for him from here.

Personally i think the 3 RB's next year are:
Hampton
Wegher/Brinson

The reason I say Brinson instead of Robinson is this:
Kirk was very high on Brinson last year, talking about him in the press and all that.
Kirk rarely ever rants about a freshman being that good. So I feel if Kirk is ranting about him he's gotta be the real deal. Plus with a revamped line we'll need someone with power back there, and Jeff is by all means a power runner.
Hampton Wegher and Robinson are all the same size. Robinson is the slowest of them all. Assuming Hampton is the same back he was. I think Robinson turns in to a Paki role in the running back stable. Which is great for us because he's 100x the back that Paki is.
A-rob can also play defense. Whereas the's other 3 with the exception of Wegher really have no experience.

Thats just my thoughts. I know Robinson had a great year for a RS-Frosh. But honestly, as far as any of us know next years running back depth chart is a crap shoot of good running backs.

Hampton
Wegher/BrinsonI don't understand where all the BRINSON love comes from. I've heard he exist but have never seen highlights or stats. What could you possibly really know that would have you rate him ahead of backs we've actually seen?

If Hampton returns to his normal form next year ( I think he will) I think he'll be #1. I think Robinson would be a better spell back for Hampton than Wegher. Robinson is better in yards after contact and Robinson didn't fumble as much as Wegher this year.

I think Wegher would be better in the slot especially if he has NFL aspirations.

Wegher, only a true freshman, showing durability, speed, as well as the ability to finish off runs with a couple more yards, has BIG things ahead of him.

You might want to make book on that.

Hampton
Wegher/BrinsonI don't understand where all the BRINSON love comes from. I've heard he exist but have never seen highlights or stats. What could you possibly really know that would have you rate him ahead of backs we've actually seen?

Well, I put my reasoning right after my statement... Brinson was number 2 on the chart last year. When Hampton went down he was going to be the guy. Unfortunately he got injured too. There's a reason KF was hyping Brinson and not Wegher and that Robinson was still on the defensive side of the ball. Theres a reason Florida and Florida State wanted Brinson. There's a reason that people close to the team that I know have said he's a man when he has the ball.
Thats my reasoning. Thats my opinion.

he's 5'10 225 and rock solid. He will NOT be a fullback.
Coker will RS
Rogers will fit in somewhere whether its deep on the chart or at full back.
Wegher in my OPINION should move to the slot, but I dont feel that he will.
Hampton, I hope he's what he was. I have just a tiny feeling (and im not sure why) that he'll struggle a little. But I have no grounds to say that, it's simply a feeling.

Our offensive line was ridiculous this year. Wegher was only able to average 3.6 per carry. Not taking anything away from the true freshman, but I just think we have better talent to fill positions #1 and #2.

Hampton has 3 years left, Robinson has 3 years left, Brinson has 3 years left.

I just don't see Wegher being in the top 2 next year. We don't know much about Brinson so he's kind of a toss up.

I don't think Wegher wants to sit on the bench the next 3 years, and with our current situation at RB that is what it looks like will happen if Wegher stays at RB.

Wes Welker should be an inspiration because no way does Wegher play in the NFL as a RB.

I don't know why everyone assumes Hampton will come back as #1 next year. Wegher and Robinson now has more experience that Hampton. Hampton is recovering from major surgery, and no one knows how he will bounce back from that.

Jewel could be #1 next year, but I don't think he starts spring practice as #1. Robinson and Wegher have proved their worth after a full season of being co-starters. Hampton will have to take their spot if he wants the carries.

I think Wegher hits the holes harder than Robinson does. An offseason in the S&C at Iowa should help eliminate some of those arm tackles that he gets knocked for.

What's the problem with Hampton/Wegher/Robinson working together until one of them establishes a clear dominance in the run game? I think you will see Kirk let all 3 play the first game or two and then choose one to stick with. The other 2 will become backups for next season and if they choose to switch positions after that, so be it. Wegher and Robinson are not going to switch positions during this offseason, we will have depth at running back, and we all know you can never have to much depth at running back!

Go Hawks!

What's the problem with Hampton/Wegher/Robinson working
Go Hawks!

Nothing, the 1990 Iowa team used Nick Bell, Mike Saunders, and Tony Stewart plus Lew Montgomery at FB. No reason Ferentz cannot do something similar.

Not saying you are not correct, but how do you know this????

I have said from the beginning that Wegher reminds me a lot of the Timmy D/Wes Welker type receiver. I don't think Brandon will object to moving because of the space that a Marvin McNutt will open up the next few years drawing the eyes of the defender (our Randy Moss if you will)

Second, over the course of the year (and yes Wegher looked great Tuesday night). A-Rob has looked much better than Wegher hitting the holes and does not go down as easy. Wegher is fast, but not as fast as everybody on here thinks he is... in my point of view this theory makes the most sense... however, he is a capable back if we need him to stay there.

But you have to have him on the field....

Latest posts