Week 8 College Football Report

SteveDeace

College Football Report – Week 8

If I had a Vote in the AP Top 25
Based on how good I think the teams are right now.

1. Florida (7-0)…To be the man you have to beat the man.
2. Alabama (8-0)…Got the sort of survival win teams having a special season seem to have at least one of during their championship run.
3. USC (6-1)…Trojans have already posted three road wins over ranked teams, but the one coming up this week is definitely their toughest.
4. Iowa (8-0)…Hawkeyes are in unchartered waters now, off to their best start ever.
5. Cincinnati (6-0)…It’s plug-and-play quarterbacks again for Brian Kelly, who is an absolute witch.
6. Texas (7-0)…Faces its toughest test of the season in Stillwater this week.
7. TCU (7-0)…The new BCS buster, and the Horned Frogs now have three quality road wins to pad their resume.
8. Georgia Tech (7-1)…Paul Johnson’s triple-option offense is wonderful to watch when it’s working.
9. Boise State (7-0)…Is now the fallback BCS buster club because the Broncos are rightfully being penalized for their soft schedule.
10. Oregon (6-1)…Has any team in college football been more dominant the past month? Ducks are just taking names on a weekly basis.
11. LSU (6-1)…Probably got the best quarterback play its gotten all season, and not coincidentally posted a dominant win as a result.
12. Penn State (7-1)…Finally beat a team with a pulse and now the Nittany Lions are very much in the race for a BCS berth.
13. Houston (6-1)…Got its best defensive effort of the season, forcing three turnovers and holding SMU to 0-for-10 on third downs.
14. Oklahoma State (6-1)…Cowboys can take control of the Big 12 South Division race if they can finally get over their burnt orange hump this week.
15. Virginia Tech (5-2)…Has had two weeks to stew over a loss and licking their chops that North Carolina’s inept offense is coming to town.
16. Miami (5-2)…Crushing overtime loss to Clemson means the return to glory is put on hold for at least another year.
17. Pittsburgh (7-1)…Posted perhaps the most impressive win of the Dave Wannstedt era in a 41-14 blowout of South Florida.
18. BYU (5-2)…Another blowout loss suffered at home in a statement game.
19. Oklahoma (4-3)…Good news for Sooners is they don’t have to worry about losing another BCS bowl.
20. Ohio State (6-2)…Got just the tonic they needed with sputtering Minnesota coming to Columbus.
21. West Virginia (6-1)…Is it time to include Noel Devine in the Heisman Trophy conversation?
22. Utah (6-1)…Utes are quietly putting together a strong follow-up to last season’s undefeated campaign.
23. South Carolina (6-2)…Steve Spurrier passes Vince Dooley as the third winningest coach in SEC play.
24. Arizona (5-2)…Wildcats are the only Pac-10 team never to play in the Rose Bowl, but they’re in the thick of the run for the roses right now.
25. Notre Dame (5-2)…Charlie Weis finally beats Boston College.

Honorable mention:
26. Central Michigan (7-1), 27. Mississippi (5-2), 28. Kansas State (5-3), 29. California (5-2), 30. South Florida (5-2).

Week 3 Cheers & Jeers

CHEERS TO PAUL RHOADS…Perhaps no coach in America got a bigger win on Saturday. He became the first Iowa State rookie head coach to win five games in a season since 1931 by also becoming the first ISU coach to win a game at Nebraska since 1977. And he did it with his starting quarterback and the Big 12’s leading rusher each missing the game because of injuries. He’s already won more games in year one than predecessor Gene Chizik did in two seasons in Ames, and one win away from returning the Cyclones to the postseason for the first time since 2005.

JEERS TO INDIANA…When the Hoosiers are staying home for the holidays again this December while other teams are playing in bowl games, they can stop blaming Big Ten officiating at the end of the Michigan game and start blaming themselves for blowing a 28-3 lead to Northwestern.

CHEERS TO TEMPLE…The Owls join perennial MAC power Central Michigan as the only teams still without a loss in conference play after posting their fifth straight win for the first time since 1979.

JEERS TO TIM TEBOW…If you’re going to let the media build you up as the ideal role model, then you have to take the scrutiny when it comes, too, especially when it’s deserved. Instead, Tebow succumbed to a rare moment of actually coming across as human when he refused to talk to the media after throwing two pick sixes in an ugly win at Mississippi State.

CHEERS TO TERRENCE CODY…The mammoth Alabama defensive tackle blocked two Tennessee field goal attempts in the fourth quarter, including the potential game-winner as time expired, to preserve the Crimson Tide’s undefeated season.

JEERS TO AUBURN’S OFFENSE…Didn’t College Football News mystifyingly rank the Tigers the 5th best team in the country a few weeks ago? Apparently reality has set in because the new Auburn offense looks a lot like the old one that got Tommy Tuberville fired. The Tigers are averaging less than 16 points per game the last three weeks, have just one touchdown pass, and are minus-five in turnovers.

Big Ten & Major Bowl Projections
Based on how I currently think the season will finish.

BCS National Championship: Florida (12-1) vs. Alabama (13-0)
Sugar Bowl: Penn State (11-1) vs. USC (10-2)
Rose Bowl: Oregon (10-2) vs. Iowa (11-1)
Fiesta Bowl: TCU (12-0) vs. Texas (12-1)
Orange Bowl: Pittsburgh (11-1) vs. Georgia Tech (12-1)
Capitol One Bowl: Ohio State (9-3) vs. Mississippi (9-3)
Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma (9-3) vs. LSU (9-3)
Gator Bowl: Virginia Tech (10-2) vs. Notre Dame (8-4)
Outback Bowl: Wisconsin (9-3) vs. Tennessee (7-5)
Champs Sports: Miami (9-3) vs. Michigan (7-5)
Alamo Bowl: Michigan State (7-5) vs. Texas Tech (7-5)
Holiday Bowl: Oklahoma State (10-2) vs. Stanford (8-4)
Insight Bowl: Iowa State (7-5) vs. Northwestern (6-6)
Motor City Bowl: Minnesota (6-6) vs. Central Michigan (11-2)

One Man’s Heisman Ballot
If I had to vote for the Heisman Trophy today.

MARK INGRAM…No Alabama player has ever won the award, but he leads the nation in rushing attempts of 20 yards or more.

KELLEN MOORE…Boise State star is the highest-ranked passer in the nation.

JIMMY CLAUSEN…Second-ranked passer in the country, but quarterbacks with more than two losses almost never win the award and the Irish have already lost twice.

Big Ones
A look at next week’s five biggest matchups.

USC at OREGON…Both teams feature plenty of speed and swagger, and Autzen Stadium should be rocking.

TEXAS at OKLAHOMA STATE…Cowboys have been close in this series several times the last few years, is this finally the year they get over the hump?

GEORGIA vs. FLORIDA…This series has favored the team coming off the bye, and this year that’s the upset-minded Dawgs.

SOUTHERN MISS at HOUSTON…A preview of the Conference USA Championship Game in December?

KANSAS STATE at OKLAHOMA…Who would’ve guessed at the start of the season that K-State would have more wins heading into this matchup?

Next week college football nation will be discussing…If history is about to repeat itself in the Big 12 South Division for the second straight year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcKiMy0Gp4"]YouTube - Iowa State postgame lockeroom celebration vs. Nebraska (10-24-09)[/ame]

Great report, Steve! I would take a Rose Bowl appearance for Iowa without reservation or regret. A chance to beat USC there would be unprecedented, but a win against any team in the Rose Bowl would be phenomenal. It's been over a half century, hasn’t it? The Paul Rhoads video shows what college football is all about. School spirit, school pride, shared success: those celebration moments are priceless!

USC ranked way to high, they struggled last night with an average Oregon State team. OSU ripped USC's "great defense" all night. Plus if they are that good, they should have beat Washington. Can't rank them higher than the other undefeated teams yet, if they run the table then you can think of moving them ahead of the undefeated teams.

Other than that can't really disagree, the bad thing about the BCS this year is: typically teams get beat up at the end of the year and fall out of contention for the BCS game. However this year with TCU, Boise, and Cinn. their chances of facing a quality oppenents down the road are minimial = lots of complaining for a playoff system.

Great stuff Steve! Love the radio show, I never miss it. I personally don't think that a rematch of the SEC title game will be the NC game also. Then again I don't think both Alabama and Florida will go undefeated to the SEC title game...

1. If the BCS title game is a rematch of the SEC title game then something is very, very wrong.

2. The phrase you wanted for Iowa's description is 'uncharted waters', not 'unchartered waters'.

3. The ISU locker room video was great. Unlike many fellow Hawk fans, I like to see ISU do good when they play an out of state school.

4. USC at #3 with a loss to Washington? Oh please.

I can't believe there's a isu after game speech on here and he's saying there will be a sec rematch in the bcs championship and no cheers for iowa all this makes me believe he's sort of stirring the pot

good stuff Steve, only part I disliked was the rematch of USC and Penn State... I really don't see that happening. Not after the beatdown PSU took from them...

awesome video. truly what college football is all about.

Paul Rhoads is the man.

look out for little sister.

Sorry Steve but no way the NC game is a rematch, I know that's the SECs (and ESPNs) wet dream but I don't think it happens. Good on ISU.

1. If the BCS title game is a rematch of the SEC title game then something is very, very wrong.

2. The phrase you wanted for Iowa's description is 'uncharted waters', not 'unchartered waters'.

3. The ISU locker room video was great. Unlike many fellow Hawk fans, I like to see ISU do good when they play an out of state school.

4. USC at #3 with a loss to Washington? Oh please.

Grammar police!!!

Latest posts