Wednesday Iowa Hoops Interviews

We appreciate you getting these interviews when you weren't feeling well. Just hoping you kept your distance from the players!

Random notes from listening through the interviews:

Nunge - mentions that Bakari doesn't miss a shot. That's good to hear. Also mentioned that Pat and Bakari are good quick defenders. Said he's hit the weights really hard this year and has worked on post moves.

Patrick - going to play this year. Has put on about 5 pounds and is noticing that the added strength is helping his shot as well as finishing (somewhat concerning that he feels his shot was affected by a lack of strength...).

Bakari - seems like he'll fit right in and is ready to contribute where he can. Talks like a senior leader should. His wingspan is 6'6 and stands 6'3 - helps him with defense and rebounding. Fran doesn't want to change him and thinks he's a good fit the way he is. Calls Wieskamp and Garza leaders that have been helping him. Heard from Minnesota and Wisconsin but felt that situation in Iowa was better.

Toussaint - Rob is absolutely right. He has a quiet confidence to him and just the way he talks about everything makes it seem like he's bringing an edge and a high level work ethic. Clicks with Garza and Pat. Especially Garza. "My goal is to win the game for coach", "my best part of my game is my defense", "I'm here every day trying to get my shot better and keep putting up reps...I like to get 700 shots a day...I wouldn't leave til I get comfortable"

If you have time, I’d recommend watching these interviews, particularly Toussaint. I was impressed with the confidence they all displayed.
I was impressed with Evelyn. He seemed very comfortable. I like the question about if there was pressure being only one year for him. He said something along the lines of he thinks a great opportunity to help an established team take the next step.

I’ve been extremely high on Nunge. I think some people are going to be surprised at how good of a player he is this year and what he brings to the team. His interview wasn’t extremely candid however and that’s okay.

Pat talked quickly. I think you could tell it’s a struggle putting the weight on for him and it’s a little frustrating. I wonder if the Bohannon thing would have any impact on a potential redshirt. I still think a redshirt year would make the most sense, but can see why we might need him given the lack of guys.

Joe T sounds confident and we’ve heard some good things. Excited to see him in live action.

That's a good size for a PG with his quickness. I know they mentioned Bakari's wingspan as 6'6, any idea what JT's wingspan is?
A 6’6 wingspan for a 6’3 guard is really not that impressive.

Wieskamp at 6’6 reportedly has a 7’ wingspan. Dailey was like 6’11 wingspan or something like that.

One of the themes from these guys was they all wanted to be winners and do whatever it took to win. That can’t be a bad thing.

I’m starting to get a little more excited for this team, probably because it’s going to have a really different look to it. I don’t know how good they’ll be, but it will be interesting to watch.

Without JB, the team will definitely have a different look. It should be quicker and better on the defensive end. I too am pretty excited about this team. I think they can be sneaky good.

Candidly, I am more optimistic about this team than I was at this exact time last year, and obviously we were pleasantly surprised by last year's squad.

If JW can comfortably handle the mantle of being THE GUY, night in and night out, similar to Pete Jok his senior year, this team could be very good.

A 6’6 wingspan for a 6’3 guard is really not that impressive.

Wieskamp at 6’6 reportedly has a 7’ wingspan. Dailey was like 6’11 wingspan or something like that.

At 6'3, Steph Curry's wingspan is 6'4 and is right about average. Of note, he's always near the NBA lead for steals. I think 6'6 is above average for his height, but not crazy. Wieskamp and Dailey have crazy length.