We Need Three Players To Get On Board

Quickly. Can't win with six in this conference.

Never thought I'd see Wisconsin beat us by being the deeper team.
I need Garza and JBo to play defense. I need Cook to to be able to correctly shoot a basketball. I need Moss to bring something to the table besides being a spot shooter. I need a coach who is smart enough to see that Cmac should be starting over Moss.

I need Garza and JBo to play defense. I need Cook to to be able to correctly shoot a basketball. I need Moss to bring something to the table besides being a spot shooter. I need a coach who is smart enough to see that Cmac should be starting over Moss.
Our guys still need to learn how to defend when in foul trouble.
Wisconsin and Michigan State know how.

Wisconsin found a way to stay within reach when it could have been 12-14 points.

I was at a high school game, so I didn't see any of it. We still need better guards. That about the gist of it?

I was at a high school game, so I didn't see any of it. We still need better guards. That about the gist of it?
That was one factor. Defense was good at times. Other times the ball was getting into the post way too easily. Then we would double the post and they would kick it back out. Badgers struggled from behind the arc most of the night but Pritzl and Trice both hit late daggers.

Quickly. Can't win with six in this conference.

Never thought I'd see Wisconsin beat us by being the deeper team.
They were not the deeper team, we were. The substitution patterns were again so helter-skelter. Baer and Garza are tearing it up, they go out together. Moss starts again, then Fran is forced to bench him after the turnovers start. Conner sitting for long stretches on the bench while Gaurd makes a brilliant move to post his guards up against our smaller guards and come back from 7 down. After the 60 tie, Iowa had all the momentum, then boom its gone. Moss turns the ball over and barely runs after the player who stole it. But the BIGGEST problem is Iowa has five players on the court, some have been playing together for a third year now, that seem to have different ideas on what to do out there. Wisconsin guards, both sophomores ran the plays exactly the way Guard wanted them run. They weren't always successful but they played as a TEAM. We can't have 5 go to players! Someone has to set the screens, someone has to draw the double team, and someone has to do the dirty work. It's called having defined roles on a team. If Fran doesn't clean this up soon, its gonna be a year-long problem. I was at the game and sometimes this team looks SO disorganized and I have no idea what they're trying to do. Either Fran's offense is too sophisticated or not sophisticated enough.

They were not the deeper team, we were. The substitution patterns were again so helter-skelter. Baer and Garza are tearing it up, they go out together. Moss starts again, then Fran is forced to bench him after the turnovers start. Conner sitting for long stretches on the bench while Gaurd makes a brilliant move to post his guards up against our smaller guards and come back from 7 down. After the 60 tie, Iowa had all the momentum, then boom its gone. Moss turns the ball over and barely runs after the player who stole it. But the BIGGEST problem is Iowa has five players on the court, some have been playing together for a third year now, that seem to have different ideas on what to do out there. Wisconsin guards, both sophomores ran the plays exactly the way Guard wanted them run. They weren't always successful but they played as a TEAM. We can't have 5 go to players! Someone has to set the screens, someone has to draw the double team, and someone has to do the dirty work. It's called having defined roles on a team. If Fran doesn't clean this up soon, its gonna be a year-long problem. I was at the game and sometimes this team looks SO disorganized and I have no idea what they're trying to do. Either Fran's offense is too sophisticated or not sophisticated enough.
Fran had no confidence to turn to Moss, Dailey, or Kreiner the last ten minutes of the game. If he can only trust six players, that was what I meant by Wisconsin being deeper.

Those are three junior upperclassmen with experience. We need those guys. And we need them to contribute.

Fran had no confidence to turn to Moss, Dailey, or Kreiner the last ten minutes of the game. If he can only trust six players, that was what I meant by Wisconsin being deeper.

Those are three junior upperclassmen with experience. We need those guys. And we need them to contribute.
This.

We got really gassed going up 7, and the three you mentioned were not mentally there. Caused tougher rotation decisions, and especially when Garza got 4.

Hawks shoot 39% and 25% from 3 - not going to win with that. Credit to the Hawks even being in it when you only hit like 3 shots in last ten minutes.

Proud of our team as they are showing grit in 2018. Go Hawks.

It's a coaching issue. It always has been. You have to set expectations and then have the will to enforce them. As a coach, you can't have a player(s) doing dumb things for 30 minutes a night, and continue to give that(those) players 30 minutes a night, all season long.
THIS is what we are going to do. THIS is how we are going to do it. If YOU choose not to do these things, you WILL sit on the bench. And then sit them on the bench when they test your resolve.
Now, this season has been much better and we only have 1 loss. I'm not talking specifically about this season. I am talking specifically about Fran Mccaffery's history here at Iowa. But this season can easily return to Fran's history and collapse.

We played good enough defense to win this game but we couldn't shoot even average on our home court, from the line, from 3 or from 2 ft.. Whisky took a lot of contested 3s and drained them. Simple as that.
I didn't see the game but judging by the stats/FG%, Wisconsin played better defense than we did. Is that fair?

We had open shots, just didn't drain them. If we just shoot near our average, we win. Wisky did take better care of the ball too. Oh, and JBo needs to stop shooting from half court.

Last edited:
I agree with alot of posters. We flat out didn't shoot the ball well enough to win a game like this. It's as simple as that. Moss, Jobo, Garza all had wide open shots from three. I think they were like 3 for 14 from three. Garza and Moss never hit one.

Iowa's defense was good enough. Wisconsin, although they had open looks when we doubled Happ (questionable coaching, you foul Happ)...they hit several threes with a guy right in their face. In my opinion, when Guard decided to post up our smaller guard (Bohanon)...you have to take him out. Jordan is still a weak link on defense. I said this last year...if he's hitting 50-60% from three, play him. If he's struggling offensively...bring in defense. Fran didn't do that enough last night. That's my only gripe.

Wisconsin had 72 points and 6 or so were late game free throws in desperation. Holding them in the sixties is good defense...they have legit shooters at several positions and Happ is really good around the basket. There is a reason why they took Virginia to the wire on the road. They are good. There is no doubt the Virginia game prepped them well for this game...they played solid half court offense and ran their stuff.

Last edited:
I didn't see the game but judging by the stats/FG%, Wisconsin played better defense than we did. Is that fair?
They definitely did when it mattered. Down seven midway through second half, you better get stops if you want to win.

I still can't get over the individual play Davison made in the post. Guarding Garza, he saw a feed coming from Cook, got around Garza for fronting position, and deflected it.

Fronting bigs was a big reason Loyola made their final four run last year. Not pretty, just solid fundamental defense.

Both defenses dug in pretty good in the first half. Points were hard to come by. It was 27-27 at the break. We were doing a good job on Happ and it took Wisconsin some time to find plan B, which of course they did.

Heres another unsung fundamental aspect of Wisconsin's defense. They got back. Every time. Transition opportunities were limited at best.

They definitely did when it mattered. Down seven midway through second half, you better get stops if you want to win.

I still can't get over the individual play Davison made in the post. Guarding Garza, he saw a feed coming from Cook, got around Garza for fronting position, and deflected it.

Fronting bigs was a big reason Loyola made their final four run last year. Not pretty, just solid fundamental defense.

Both defenses dug in pretty good in the first half. Points were hard to come by. It was 27-27 at the break. We were doing a good job on Happ and it took Wisconsin some time to find plan B, which of course they did.

Heres another unsung fundamental aspect of Wisconsin's defense. They got back. Every time. Transition opportunities were limited at best.
How many transition buckets did we give up?

How many transition buckets did we give up?
I don't remember many, and Trice botched one the few opportunities they did get.

They didn't shoot particularly well from distance, until crunch time.

They did get the ball in the post more consistently then they should have. They carved up our half court man to man. And Davison and Pritzl were making sneaky hustle plays to keep possessions alive.

In fairness, so did Baer. He played one of his better games in memory. Wisconsin is a good matchup for him

I don't usually knock individual players, but for whatever reason, Moss has taken a huge step backwards this season. Can't get around his defender without pushing off (and getting called for it) and can't hit open shots. Unless this gets reversed, I see less and less floor time for him as a redshirt junior.