We Haven't Seen CJ's Best Game Passing the ball

ChosenChildren

CJ has a big arm. The Smiths are dangerous. In a dome environment, without wind or cold, is it time to go vertical? MSU looks vulnerable to the pass....I witnessed the Michigan v. MSU game, and Rudock had guys open all over the field. Pass the ball, Hawks!!

CJ has a big arm. The Smiths are dangerous. In a dome environment, without wind or cold, is it time to go vertical? MSU looks vulnerable to the pass....I witnessed the Michigan v. MSU game, and Rudock had guys open all over the field. Pass the ball, Hawks!!

Paging the drunk guy that yelled at Greg Davis in the press box last season about not going vertical enough.....

To be honest CJ hasn't been very good at throwing the ball deep this year. I seem to remember one bomb to Tevaun for a TD, and a couple deep throws to Jerminic Smith that one game...and that's about it. I think that huge first down to Vandeburg during the ISU game was a short pass from what I remember, but I could be wrong.

Seems like every time his WR's have their man beat, CJ overthrows them. Its a concern I've had for awhile now, and I'm sure they're working on it. Luckily the TE's and RB's have been beast mode.

edit: For the record I'm talking long throws of 30+ yards in the air. Not plays like the Kittle TD where its a 10 yard pass that goes for 50.

To be honest CJ hasn't been very good at throwing the ball deep this year. I seem to remember one bomb to Tevaun for a TD, and a couple deep throws to Jerminic Smith that one game...and that's about it. I think that huge first down to Vandeburg during the ISU game was a short pass from what I remember, but I could be wrong.

Seems like every time his WR's have their man beat, CJ overthrows them. Its a concern I've had for awhile now, and I'm sure they're working on it. Luckily the TE's and RB's have been beast mode.

edit: For the record I'm talking long throws of 30+ yards in the air. Not plays like the Kittle TD where its a 10 yard pass that goes for 50.

Cj hit him from the end zone at the 50, but I agree, his long balls have been just long....

That one to Vandeberg vs. ISU was probably 30+ yards. The one to McCarron for a TD was probably 25 yards, IIRC.

I agree with you for the most part though, that he has overthrown guys quite a bit, but do you remember last season? Those balls were UNDERthrown instead. So I'd rather him overthrowing guys vs. having a candy arm and not even being able to get it there.

Groin injury.

Between CJ's injury, losing Smith midseason and windy environments it's been hard for CJ to get into a rhythm. Jerminic Smith caught a couple bombs and even had one bounce off his arm cause he wasn't looking. I think he's more than capable and this week's conditions will present opportunities in either direction. Secondary is beatable so I hope they do take some shots.

hopefully playing indoors cures his longball woes, Iowa is going to need to hit one or two of them

We've seen signs of it in all 12 games this year,we need him protected,we need guy's getting open and hopefully he'll be healthy enough to show everyone what we already know.I agree the best is yet to come for our intire team.Go Hawks

Do you suppose if it presents itself, then he lets it rip down field? Or, is it going to be more of a controlled passing attack, tight ends, backs out of the backfield, screens, etc...? Time of possession will be crucial....Cook can get hot and move that ball downfield rather quickly, i.e. Leidner of Minnesota (I realize that's b/c we had no pass rush/pressure), Kirk/GD will have a great game plan I'm sure...

Last I heard thine nutz are not attached to thine appendages......

You obviously have never had a groin injury. It tends to hurt when you do pretty much anything. I can't imagine it's been easy for him to play at the level he's played this season. CJB = Guts + Toughness.

You obviously have never had a groin injury. It tends to hurt when you do pretty much anything. I can't imagine it's been easy for him to play at the level he's played this season. CJB = Guts + Toughness.
Agree, had them playing basketball. Most "groin injuries" have nothing to do with the family jewels ... it's the inner thigh muscle(s) that are pulled.

Not to many QB's can play at the level CJ has with his injury.They already said he would have surgery after the season.Hopefully no more fumbles please.

Let's not forget that for a majority of the 2nd half of the season, the Hawks never trailed. If they did trail it was by a touchdown or less in the first half. There wasn't a need to spread the field. Given that, they could play their game (run/short passes) and just had to manage the game.

GO HAWKS!!!

Let's not forget that for a majority of the 2nd half of the season, the Hawks never trailed. If they did trail it was by a touchdown or less in the first half. There wasn't a need to spread the field. Given that, they could play their game (run/short passes) and just had to manage the game.

GO HAWKS!!!

The timing has been off on the deep routes since Smith came back. The ball has sailed a bit due to him not having a complete follow thru (probably the groin).

He's been fine within 20 yards even across his body. Deep won't be needed vs MSU. The medium distance in front of the safety and behind the LBs will be important on third down Saturday.

Two guys that can win the game; CJ and Wadley. Either of these guys can win the game for us. Wadley pretty much won the NW game, our best win, and that game would have been much closer without Wadley, certainly not a 30 point win. He is a game changer. CJ could also win the game for us. He just needs his best game post injury and I think it will be good for him (and his injury) to play indoors. If Tommy Armstrong can beat MSU, it's very doable for CJ.

Last edited:
When was the last game with good weather? Seems like they have been windy, cold or rainy ever since NW.