We dont even know if Daniels or Wadley can handle the load

uihawk82

Leshun Daniels is going into his jr year and we have no idea if he can carry the load, carry 20 times a game, make tacklers consistently miss, make the move and hit the hole consistently?? What a waste of at least one year. Maybe he is a guy who could make the right cut, make the first guy miss and have big runs but I have no idea.

I bring this up in reference to the recent "Iowa Recruting" thread. I would bet there are a lot of above avg rbs out there who dont come to Iowa because they cant play right away or as True Frosh.

And the same thing with Wadley. He had a 100+ yard game and I thought he looked explosive going into tacklers on inside the tackle zone runs. But he just did not get much time the last 5-6 games or however many it was.

If Canzeri can stay healthy that will be the first time and I hope he has a great year but we need to find out about these players early in their careers and also let potential recruits know they can play right away.

Canzeri is not going to get it done. He is constantly hurt, and misses far too many holes for a college rb. There is a reason he wasn't recruited by other big programs.

Canzeri is not going to get it done. He is constantly hurt, and misses far too many holes for a college rb. There is a reason he wasn't recruited by other big programs.

I think Canzeri could be the guy if he would actually stay healthy. I don't think Daniels has the speed and Wadley, I'm not sure how anybody could have faith in him after the fumbles and the inability to stay on his 2 feet in the Tenn game.

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-rbs-charged-with-disorderly-house-20150126

Iowa running backs Jonathan Parker and Akrum Wadley were ticketed last Saturday night for a disorderly house.More stories from Marc Morehouse

[h=4]QB competition far from a done deal[/h]

[h=4]'I've got to do a better job as head coach'[/h]

Iowa City Police responded to a call at 11:54 p.m. because of a loud party at 86 Olive Court. The complaint reported “yelling and an outside party” near the end of Olive Court. Parker and Wadley were issued citations at the scene.
They have initial court appearances scheduled for Feb. 11.
Wadley sent a Facebook invite for the after-hours party to the entire UI class of 2017.

It is odd not knowing what we truly have in the backfield ... We never established ANY continuity in the running game whatsoever ... Players were injured or oddly rotated in and out ... Normally, Iowa is known for its running game ... It seems like we just have a roster full of average running backs? No game changers ...

Frustrating. Why a FBS school in a power 5 conference can't find one running back to fit into a system where it is designed to plug anyone to get yardage is beyond me.

Since Hampton got hurt in the Arizona game, I've seen a runningback look like he belongs on the field 2 times. McCall for 9 carries and Wadely for 1 half. I guess Coker looked like he belonged. He just wasn't explosive enough to be a number 1 back.

I think Canzeri could be the guy if he would actually stay healthy. I don't think Daniels has the speed and Wadley, I'm not sure how anybody could have faith in him after the fumbles and the inability to stay on his 2 feet in the Tenn game.

To small of a sample size to worry about it. Coker fumbled twice in 1 quarter and he hardly ever fumbled.

To small of a sample size to worry about it. Coker fumbled twice in 1 quarter and he hardly ever fumbled.

I expect a big year from Leshun Daniels, he has the best physical build for a big ten back. I also expect after he has a great year, everybody to ask why he was not redshirted and why we did not see more of him prior to his junior year. I also hope that Karon Higdon gets a far shake at starting and if he does not start or going to get significant minutes I pray that he is redshirted, rather then get 5 carries for the year and essentially wasting a year of eligibility.

Since Hampton got hurt in the Arizona game, I've seen a runningback look like he belongs on the field 2 times. McCall for 9 carries and Wadely for 1 half. I guess Coker looked like he belonged. He just wasn't explosive enough to be a number 1 back.

I don't know about saying Coker wasn't explosive enough to be a #1 back. With almost 1400 yards as a sophomore, he obviously had what it took to be a #1 back. He had 200 yard games against Minnesota and obviously Missouri, in the bowl game.

He would have been 2nd team all conference by the time he was a senior, at least. He had 1384 yards as a sophomore. And he didn't play in the bowl game. There was a very good chance he would have topped out with more than 1500 yards had he played in the bowl. That is definitely a first string #1 running back in the Big 10.

Last edited:

Wehger and Adam Robinson were very capable, above avg. Wehger had speed and both had moves, Robinson had great feet and could step over tackles in the hole. But again we got one year out of wehger and almost two with Adam.

I think losing Adam Robinson for two years was a big blow, we could have had Robinson and Coker alternating.

And they maybe could have kept each other out of trouble.

It'd be nice if they could pick a guy and hitch up the wagon to him.... Playing guys for just a few reps here and there just don't get guys into the flow of the game. I think it takes 15 touches or so a game to do that. I think Canzeri if healthy is their best option at being that guy. He can break some longer runs and has some wiggle to him. I wish he had that top gear but he's not bad. Daniels can be the short yardage and goal line guy. I'm not sure what to think of Wadley the jury is out on him. As great as he looked in that one game he sure looked overwhelmed in the bowl game...

Bottom line to me is if Canzeri is healthy see what he's got. No reason to save him. The other 10 to 15 touches can be split between Daniels Wadley etc. If a hot hand emerges great. But I think getting a player more reps gets them into the flow more

I predict Canzeri will get about 75% of all the running back carries next year, barring injury.

I predict Canzeri will get about 75% of all the running back carries next year, until injured. There, FIFY. His history of injuries has not been what one would call confidence inspiring as far as lasting the entire season.

I've been high on Daniels since he got here. I don't know why. Maybe I just have a gut feeling which is a terrible way to judge a football player. I thought by the end of last year we would know his capabilities but then I didn't figure in the KF factor. It would be great if we had 5 running backs playing well and fighting for playing time.

IF (big if) Canzeri can stay healthy, I would say he would get maybe 60% of the carries and I really do think Daniels would be the candidate for the other 40%; maybe even 50/50. We have not had a really good look at what Daniels can do, but some flashes he has shown MAY indicate some real potential. I think he is faster than he is given credit for and I like his power. My biggest concern is that even these two guys may not be high enough caliber to make Iowa's running attack a major threat, especially with the rebuilding that must be done in the O line. And, I am not a believer that CJ is much of a run threat on a consistent basis, like out of a zone read set. Lots of tough questions for the O again next year, I'm afraid.

I don't know about saying Coker wasn't explosive enough to be a #1 back. With almost 1400 yards as a sophomore, he obviously had what it took to be a #1 back. He had 200 yard games against Minnesota and obviously Missouri, in the bowl game.

He would have been 2nd team all conference by the time he was a senior, at least. He had 1384 yards as a sophomore. And he didn't play in the bowl game. There was a very good chance he would have topped out with more than 1500 yards had he played in the bowl. That is definitely a first string #1 running back in the Big 10.

He wasn't even 3rd team all-CAA this year. And was beat out as starter. At Stoney Brook.

http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/marcus_coker_794184.html
http://caasports.com/documents/2014/11/24/2014_All-Conference_Team__Final_.pdf

In Coker's defense, he suffered a variety of injuries. His junior year, he was expected to do well as his junior year he rushed for over 1000 yards. Then two games into what would have been his senior year, he suffered a season-ending abdominal injury. He received a medical redshirt and was expected to do well this past fall. However, he was in a motorcycle accident in April of 2014 and suffered a broken leg. That would tend to affect your performance for the next football season.

I wouldn't be too hard on him for a bad season last fall.

There are instances of running backs who do well, as Coker did, early in their college career and then get injured during their senior season (in Coker's case, his junior and senior seasons) and still get drafted. Who knows what will happen?

Latest posts