We can still win the division

SpiderRico

If the following occurs, we win the division:

1. Iowa wins out against Michigan and Nebraska to finish 5-3 in the conference and 4-1 in the division.
2. MSU loses at Nebraska, at Northwestern and home to Minnesota to finish 5-3 in the conference and 2-3 in the division.
3. Nebraska beats MSU and loses at Penn State and home to Iowa to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.
4. Minnesota loses to Wisconsin and beats Michigan State to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.

Under this scenario, the first tie break is head to head record against the other teams. Iowa would be 2-1, MSU would be 1-2, Nebraska would be 1-2 and Minnesota would be 2-1. This leaves Iowa and Minnesota. Now, I'm not sure if they go to the 2nd tie breaker which is division record or if they see what the head to head is after eliminating Nebraska and MSU. But under either case, Iowa would be the Legends Division representative in the title game because they were 1-0 against Minnesota AND they have the better division record.

Now we know who to root for in which games.

Go Hawks!

Even though there is about a .0001% chance of this happening it still makes it fun to root for certain teams, especially with the Hawks being off this week.

Also, if this were to happen it would cause numerous head explosions around here from all the KF haters.

Nice work, so Iowa still has a chance for a Big 10 championship and an automatic bcs bowl bid I like it! Let's do all we can to win the next two. First objective, punish Michigan for last year. Get revenge on them and Nebby.

I cant see nebby putting twenty one on msu. I think nebby comes out of that one busted up, both mind and body. Which is another reason i would give them a heavy dose when we visit.

Even though there is about a .0001% chance of this happening it still makes it fun to root for certain teams, especially with the Hawks being off this week.

Also, if this were to happen it would cause numerous head explosions around here from all the KF haters.

Exactly! Until we're mathematically out, I'm still going to hold out hope.

And honestly, the only game in that whole scenario that is probably not likely is MSU losing at Northwestern. The rest of them are not out of the question by any means. But if Mark gets healthy and they don't decide to redshirt him, they could certainly be a spoiler.

Can we please beat Nebraska? I live in Omaha and have to face another year of ridicule from these big red idiots if we lose again.

It is higher than that. 8 outcomes have to go the right way. A baseline of 50% chance per game would give it a 0.39% chance. I don't have the odds of each game atm, but it would probably balance out a bit lower than that say an average of 45% per game would give it a 0.17% chance.

It aint over til its over, as Yogi would say. Go Huskers, Beat Sparty!! Sparty looks unbeatable, but crazy stuff can happen, like their QB going down after a sack by that monster d-end, Gregory.

Cubs fans know how to do this kind of math. They have complex models to identify when in June they become mathematically out of the race.

Cubs fans know how to do this kind of math. They have complex models to identify when in June they become mathematically out of the race.

Nice try, but this is hardly "June" in the context of the divisional race. There are only 2 games left, 1/6th of the season. In baseball context, that would be only 25 games left. If the Cubs were still in contention with 25 games left, that'd certainly be something for them to root for. But because you hate Ferentz, you'd rather just assume that we have no chance.

Good for you.

If the following occurs, we win the division:

1. Iowa wins out against Michigan and Nebraska to finish 5-3 in the conference and 4-1 in the division.
2. MSU loses at Nebraska, at Northwestern and home to Minnesota to finish 5-3 in the conference and 2-3 in the division.
3. Nebraska beats MSU and loses at Penn State and home to Iowa to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.
4. Minnesota loses to Wisconsin and beats Michigan State to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.

Under this scenario, the first tie break is head to head record against the other teams. Iowa would be 2-1, MSU would be 1-2, Nebraska would be 1-2 and Minnesota would be 2-1. This leaves Iowa and Minnesota. Now, I'm not sure if they go to the 2nd tie breaker which is division record or if they see what the head to head is after eliminating Nebraska and MSU. But under either case, Iowa would be the Legends Division representative in the title game because they were 1-0 against Minnesota AND they have the better division record.

Now we know who to root for in which games.

Go Hawks!

Good stuff. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened. #2 (MSU losing three in a row) is the biggest obstacle … I just don't see their D fizzling out.

Good stuff. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened. #2 (MSU losing three in a row) is the biggest obstacle … I just don't see their D fizzling out.

You're absolutely right about that. However, the one thing that keeps giving me hope is the fact that MSU, unlike virtually any other team in the conference, has a real history of flaming out in epic fashion. I'm hoping this is also one of those years!

Can we please beat Nebraska? I live in Omaha and have to face another year of ridicule from these big red idiots if we lose again.

When one of those idiot husker fans says anything just ask them about the 70+ points they gave up the in the b1g championship game last year

Or better yet, laugh in their face and say "Northwestern has really owned you guys but some how you sucked out 2 wins against them"

And then followup and say "what's it like to play in a tough conference that actually plays some defense"

When one of those idiot husker fans says anything just ask them about the 70+ points they gave up the in the b1g championship game last year

Or better yet, laugh in their face and say "Northwestern has really owned you guys but some how you sucked out 2 wins against them"

And then followup and say "what's it like to play in a tough conference that actually plays some defense"

They have beat us head to head 2 times in a row, not a lot of comebacks from that but believe me I throw whatever I can at them. 70 points, its not 1995 anymore etc.

I cant see nebby putting twenty one on msu. I think nebby comes out of that one busted up, both mind and body. Which is another reason i would give them a heavy dose when we visit.
Iowa's heavier doses (of smashmouth) usually means a loss for Iowa.
Nebby is known for giving heavier doses (of smash mouth) than Iowa. Revisit every game Iowa has played against Nebby. And they've better athletes.

Sidenote: I heard a TV commentator on ABC (during the Nebby VS Meechigan game) say he heard from Nebby coaches their best unit on defense was the secondary....
I had to laugh... In the B1G? Against Iowa?
Hey, maybe Iowa giving Nebby heavy doses of smash mouth is the right way to go... Maybe the tables will turn.

Last edited:

Latest posts