We are Young

Hawk1960

One thing we need to remind ourselves this year is how young this team really is. We are likely to have some growing pains but the future is bright. Here is a breakdown of the percentage of total scoring and rebounding by class through the first 3 games ...

Scoring % of Total
Freshman 26.6%
Sophomores 60.3%
Juniors 10.3%
Seniors 2.7%

Rebounding % of Total
Freshman 35.7%
Sophomores 40.0%
Juniors 14.4%
Seniors 9.7%

Last edited:
Digging deeper, despite being young, this team has quite a few career starts. Among the starting five of Bohannon, Moss, Wagner, Cook, and Garza, the group has 115 career starts. Off the bench, once he's back, you'll have Baer, Pemsl, and Uhl with 32 combined career starts. In other words in all the team has 147 career starts.

Like the op mentioned, this team is young (108 starts from sophomores and Garza) but imo fans shouldn't shy away from expectations and I'm sure the players would agree. Sure there will be some rough games but there should be some great ones as well. I'm looking forward to the uptick in competition at the tournament this coming week.

Fran seems to recruit gym rats and mentally tough guys.

Maybe I have my hawkeye shades on but the freshman didn’t back down last year and I just see talent and depth that there’s no way this team isn’t making the tourney outside of maybe an injury to JBo, Moss or Garza.

Oh ... and that's withOUT top 100 freshman recruit Conner Mac and junior double-double Nick Baer, who have yet to play any minutes, not to mention a slightly hobbled sophomore Jo-Bo. It will keep on with the additions of JoeWeis and Pat-Mac!

I get like like this :) when I look to the next 4 - 6 years of Iowa basketball. Keep the shades handy.:cool:

Fran needs to pick up his game...and lead this team, with more talent, beyond nibbling at success...

I’m fairly convinced we’re on the verge of experiencing plenty of success of these next 3 years and hopefully with guys like Weiskamp and Patrick as building blocks along with success we’ll see continued success in recruiting as well.

good post. With what we lose and what we have coming in, the future APPEARS to be bright (but have said that before and been wrong)

I was thinking about this after the Grambling State game. And how Iowa seemed to be flustered by Grambling State's aggressiveness on defense. The team is loaded with underclassman and seems to be lacking a steady rock or leader at the moment. Not saying that Cook or Bohannon or another underclassman can't be but the only senior on the team is Uhl and he's hardly going to play. Baer could be who they look toward for guidance but he's going to be out for another few weeks. Ellingson and Wagner don't seem to have that leadership quality. I mean they are good players and I like both of them. But they dont strike me as somebody who can calm the team down when the they are frustrated.

Cook and Bohannon can grow into that leadership role and be the ones who everyone looks to but they aren't quite there yet. Hopefully this young team develops some leadership skills quickly before B1G starts or Baer has a quick recovery. I really like this team and the future is very bright. But once this season starts to get really tough and our opponents get harder, we are going to need a steady rock that can guide us through turmoil.

Similar situation to the teams with MG, and Marble...good kids, but not great leaders to follow.

I am thinking CM is the guy...Baer does it with his hustle and will.

A great leader/elite PG is needed...

JB has a little leader in him...I like him...True Grit

I am pretty disappointed so far with Pemsl. He seems to pass up anything that is a jump shot and he's missing too many bunnies. So, either he's no good or he's way too reluctant. I don't think he's no good. but he needs to start shooting the jumper.

Latest posts