WBB: Jennie (Lillis) Baranczyk New Drake Head Coach

cigaretteman

One of the most accomplished women’s basketball players in central Iowa history is coming home.

Jennie (Lillis) Baranczyk — a former star for West Des Moines Dowling Catholic and the Iowa Hawkeyes — will be introduced Tuesday at 4 p.m. as the new Drake women’s basketball coach.

“We’re really excited,†Joyce Lillis, Jennie’s mother, said late Monday. “It’s not a surprise. She’s very driven and she has a great background.

“I think she’ll do an outstanding job.â€

Drake athletic director Sandy Hatfield Clubb confirmed the hiring in a press release issued through the athletic department.

“I am thrilled to confirm that we have hired Jennie Lillis Baranczyk to be our new women’s basketball head coach,†Hatfield Clubb said. “She is an outstanding coach and is the perfect fit to lead our women’s basketball program.

“It is exciting to welcome Jennie back to Des Moines.â€
Jennie (Lillis) Baranczyk, former Dowling and Iowa star, named Drake women's basketball coach | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

It was rumored that Jensen has turned down Drake a couple of times, most recently when Amy Stephens was hired.

I would guess this might be a bigger problem for UNI's recruiting, which already has more of an in-state focus, and got caught without a true post this past season.

Iowa's problem is keeping existing recruits and players healthy...

Latest posts