was the kicker offsides?

Not sure what the rule is on this, but his plant foot was definitely on the other side of the ball. Can the person that kicks the ball be offsides though?

there are people offsides on every kickoff on every level of football....we just happened to be one of the very few times it was ever called and come to find out we never were offsides to start with

I was also wondering about the go ahead TD that Gray ran in - it looks like Gray held the ball out of bounds before he crossed the goal line. Not sure on the rule on that.

This is an explanation from 2003 of the NFL rule, but I would bet it is the same in college today. If the rule is the same, then yes, the kicker can have his plant foot beyond the ball as long as his kicking foot is not.

Jerry Markbreit's answers - chicagotribune.com

Jerry: Can a kicker be offsides on a kickoff? Near the end of this weekend's Packers-Vikings game, the Packers attempted an onside kick during which the (right-footed) kicker approached the ball from the left at an angle almost parallel to the 30-yard line. Before touching the ball, he planted his left foot across the 30-yard line. Isn't that offsides? -- Matt M., Evanston

Here is the rule regarding offsides on the kickoff. After the referee's whistle, prior to a free kick, all kicking team players must be inbounds and behind the ball when it is kicked. The holder of the kick, if he is necessary, may be beyond the line. The kicker may be beyond the line, with his plant foot, but his kicking foot may not be beyond the line until the ball is actually kicked. What you describe is perfectly legal. His plant foot was beyond the line, but his kicking foot was not.

I was also wondering about the go ahead TD that Gray ran in - it looks like Gray held the ball out of bounds before he crossed the goal line. Not sure on the rule on that.

As long as the feet are in, the ball is live. If the feet never touch the end zone, then the ball must break the plane inside the pylon.

The officiating was not bad in yesterday's game.

I wondered about this too. Hoped they would review as well but they didn't. Also, not onlyy was the kicker offside on the onsides kick but a lot of Minny's team was. Also thought Minny didn't make the first down on the fourth and one at midfield but got a generous spot. Well, bad calls happen and you have to overcome them. Obviously, we didn't.

By rule the kicker (or a holder if it's too windy) cannot be called offsides. When it was called on ISU against Baylor it was not called on the kicker. It was called on a number 7, when no one was within 2 yards of the line.

Latest posts