was targeting call the key play

guffus

I am not saying the targeting on Lomax call was wrong but that was the key call today?

Not only did it give ISU a first down on their go-ahead 92 yard TD drive, but it took out Iowa's starting safety the rest of day.

By the way, is Lomax done sitting out or does he have to sit out any more time?

I am not saying the targeting on Lomax call was wrong but that was the key call today?

Not only did it give ISU a first down on their go-ahead 92 yard TD drive, but it took out Iowa's starting safety the rest of day.

I know some parts of the rules(s) have changed, so it's not clear on whether he sits more for next game(s).

It was a terrible call, IMO, and the fact Rhoads and Co. were actually arguing after the cal on the hit--defenseless, BTW--that Jake R took, I lose even more respect for him and their program.

I'd say having a pathetic offense that can't even score on ISU is what sealed doom. Shouldn't have even been in a position where that call could turn the game.

Who cares about the call? I believe we should have a better team than one that is susceptible to defeat based on one call against a team that was 0-2 @ home coming into our stadium in a rivalry game. I can't believe people whining about officiating when the program is obviously in a fair bit of distress. Have some pride.

Dont disagree. Just the fact the game was close means that Iowa sucks.

I should have explained my original post better. I also am not arguing it was a bad call by the ref, its debatable but you can see why the ref called it. I am just wondering if that was the key play.

You could also argue running Bullock on 3rd and 6 was the key play. Or the fumble recovery in the end zone. Or something else.

led.

Dont disagree. Just the fact the game was close means that Iowa sucks.

I should have explained my original post better. I also am not arguing it was a bad call by the ref, its debatable but you can see why the ref called it. I am just wondering if that was the key play.

You could also argue running Bullock on 3rd and 6 was the key play. Or the fumble recovery in the end zone. Or something else.

led.
The fact is: ISU allow Iowa only three points in the second half. The only thing offensive about them is their offense.

This was the worse called game since the 2006 Outback Bowl, and possibly the calls that the refs did get wrong had an even bigger impact. Perhaps up to a 24 point swing caused by the referees. To you people that say that Iowa should have played better you are not necessarily wrong but this game should be team vs team, not team vs team + refs. Here is a short list of some of the worse calls in the history of college football.

On the play where the clown Quarterback pitched the ball to the clown. It was dropped, Iowa picked it up and was running it in for a TD. It was clearly not a forward pass. I had a perfect view of it since the LOS was directly across from my seat on that play. Everyone in my section saw it too. That should have been Iowa Ball, and a probable Iowa touchdown would have resulted.

Second on the first clown "touchdown" the clown receiver clearly picked the ball up off the ball. I once again had a great view of this. The replay also showed this. Everyone in the stadium saw this. Somehow it was not even reviewed. How is that possible. How much did the clowns pay off the refs on this one? Or were they trying to make up for bad calls on other games I don't know. However anyone who thought that was a TD was either blind or on the take. So that "touchdown" should be taken off the board.

Next was the phoney targeting call. Lomax did not launch himself, there was no helmet to helmet. Both players were going for the ball and they collided. There was nothing intentional about it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the take. This time they did review it but they still got it wrong. How did that happen? This allowed an clown drive to continue for an ill gotten touchdown when this should have ended in a clown 4th and long. This also unfairly took Lomax out of the game and this had a probable affect on Iowa defense for the rest of the game.

Later on at the end of the the Iowa field goal drive. Jacob Hillyer was tackled when he was going for the catch and there was no call. This was so obvious that the entire stadium noticed it at once. This would have been a first down, and could have helped lead to an Iowa touchdown rather than a field goal. It was just an awful no call. This is made even worse by the clear inconsistency that we would see later on.

This blatant inconsistency would occur on the final clown drive. Josey Jewell made less contact and later on the clown pass. Plus the clown pass was clearly uncatchable. It was as if the refs were trying to manufacture a way to keep the clown drive going. This would have lead to a 4th and 6 on the Iowa 43 for the clowns. A probable punting situation with just enough time for a potential Iowa field goal drive. Or at least overtime. However if the previous calls would have been correct it would not have come to this.

I find this favoritism sickening. I really have some problems with the refs, and I hope one of these years this gets fixed. Until this gets fixed I propose that Iowa discontinues the series with the clowns until they receive an official apology and a system is in place to keep this from happening again.

Last edited:

The rule has been changed. I think refs can reverse it after a review, they couldn't last year, they could only allow a player to stay in the game but the 15 yard penalty stayed.

I'm pretty sure the punishment for targeting hasn't changed though. Which is if it happens in the 1st half, the player is out for the game and thats it. If it happens in the 2nd half, the player misses the 1st half of the following game. So it appears Lomax will be out for a half next weekend.

This was the worse called game since the 2006 Outback Bowl, and possibly the calls that the refs did get wrong had an even bigger impact. Perhaps up to a 24 point swing caused by the referees. To you people that say that Iowa should have played better you are not necessarily wrong but this game should be team vs team, not team vs team + refs. Here is a short list of some of the worse calls in the history of college football.

On the play where the clown Quarterback pitched the ball to the clown. It was dropped, Iowa picked it up and was running it in for a TD. It was clearly not a forward pass. I had a perfect view of it since the LOS was directly across from my seat on that play. Everyone in my section saw it too. That should have been Iowa Ball, and a probable Iowa touchdown would have resulted.

Second on the first clown "touchdown" the clown receiver clearly picked the ball up off the ball. I once again had a great view of this. The replay also showed this. Everyone in the stadium saw this. Somehow it was not even reviewed. How is that possible. How much did the clowns pay off the refs on this one? Or were they trying to make up for bad calls on other games I don't know. However anyone who thought that was a TD was either blind or on the take. So that "touchdown" should be taken off the board.

Next was the phoney targeting call. Lomax did not launch himself, there was no helmet to helmet. Both players were going for the ball and they collided. There was nothing intentional about it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the take. This time they did review it but they still got it wrong. How did that happen? This allowed an clown drive to continue for an ill gotten touchdown when this should have ended in a clown 4th and long. This also unfairly took Lomax out of the game and this had a probable affect on Iowa defense for the rest of the game.

Later on at the end of the the Iowa field goal drive. Jacob Hillyer was tackled when he was going for the catch and there was no call. This was so obvious that the entire stadium noticed it at once. This would have been a first down, and could have helped lead to an Iowa touchdown rather than a field goal. It was just an awful no call. This is made even worse by the clear inconsistency that we would see later on.

This blatant inconsistency would occur on the final clown drive. Josey Jewell made less contact and later on the clown pass. Plus the clown pass was clearly uncatchable. It was as if the refs were trying to manufacture a way to keep the clown drive going. This would have lead to a 4th and 6 on the Iowa 43 for the clowns. A probable punting situation with just enough time for a potential Iowa field goal drive. Or at least overtime. However if the previous calls would have been correct it would not have come to this.

I find this favoritism sickening. I really have some problems with the refs, and I hope one of these years this gets fixed. Until this gets fixed I purpose that Iowa discontinues the series with the clowns until they receive an official apology and a system is in place to keep this from happening again.

Some real good points there on the officiating. Just sucks that Kirk's teams can't/struggle to put the Hayden Fry whooping on them like they should so these type of things don't matter and lead to last second clown field goal heroics.

Nope. Scoring 17 points, 3 in the second half to a team giving up over 30 points and 500 yards of offense per game is the key play.

Correct call, but a terribly conceived rule.

I agree that it was the correct call but I think the rule is fine. It encourages players to keep their heads up and not use the crown of the helmet which makes things safer for both the hitter and ball carrier.

You saw a few plays later, Lowdermilk hit a guy helmet to helmet but kept his head up so it was face mask to face mask. No flag and rightfully so.

NO. Iowa's offense is a flat tire. Good players not getting touches. The scheme is bad bad.

No. The key call I thought was going for it on 4th and 8. It was a lucky play. The ISU DB was all over the Hawk WR.

To me it was a key call because it reinforced the idea that the coaching staff has lost confidence in their philosophy or doesn't know how to handle the improved/skilled WR corps while being loyal to RBs for their heroics in previous seasons.

In the past, KF kicks the FG, kickoff into the endzone, defense gets a 3 and out (or more likely, allows one first down on a 3rd and 8 and then forces a punt), then plays field position game with ball on own 37 yard line.

Everyone complains for years that Iowa football (running philosophy) is boring. The Hawk coaches haven't pushed that philosophy this year and now Iowa can't run the ball.

It smacks of a lack of confidence...of desperation.

I find this favoritism sickening. I really have some problems with the refs, and I hope one of these years this gets fixed. Until this gets fixed I purpose that Iowa discontinues the series with the clowns until they receive an official apology and a system is in place to keep this from happening again.

Also a Big 12 crew.....they also wanted to call a fumble on Iowa where the receivers knee was clearly down....took forever for the replay both to overturn it.

It was the Iowa Football Program Vs The Clowns, Kirk Ferentz, and the Big 12 Officials today.

Yes that would be a good start, boycott the series until there is an agreement for no more big 12 refs. Iowa would win this one not even playing their best if the game is called even. Iowa would blow them out playing their best and the game being called even. Iowa playing their best could oivercome the refs too, but it is still not right to have a game called like this one was. I was beside myself.

Latest posts