Wakeup call for Fran, Mel, and Marble...

kmotuffe

I think this sums up the potential of our season.

Fran NEEDS to do a better job with the fundamentals of this team, rebounding, and defense in particular.

Mel and Marble need to prove they have the work ethic to achieve at the B1G level, and not just play the BMOC bullcrap and let their ego's get the best of them.

It's called hard work, and if u don't believe in it, watch the others pass you by....

Man I can't wait for Woody and Gessell to get here!!!!

mccaferty needs to go. no fire. no passion. guys weren't ready for the game. i think the kids aren't responding to him. how much are we paying him for that???!!!

I think everyone is discrediting Creighton. They are a team that returns 5 starters. They also make teams spread the court, because there 1-4(Starters and Bench) can shoot well from 3 point range. Mel played awful, but it was going up against the MVC's best player. Marble is being wasted as a point guard and it showed in this game. He should perform much better when playing his true position.

Marble is playing well, Basabe is the one that is not, this has been hashed and rehashed many times the coach can only do so much to get kids ready to play, actually i am glad they got beat the way they did
itmight actually wake them up and Fran can finally get them to listen
i am curious to see how they play Wednesday, i know Campbell is not a good team but it will show alot about this team
will they come to play no matter the level of team they face
or do they come out like they can just walk in and win

If I'm Fran the next two games are meaningless to help gauge the team. The Clemson game is the next barometer. What I would do is draw a freakin line in the sand. Don't box out, sit. Don't hustle, sit. Don't defend... What most impressed me about Creighton, and there was a lot that impressed me, was that each time we shot the basketball they put a body on us. We weren't even CLOSE to getting most offensive boards b/c they boxed out and held the box outs until they secured the boards. Yesterday's game was for the best, because we now know what we have. Fran is not a patient person. Would love to watch practice today.

Creighton is a pretty solid team and will compete for the valley title. With that being said, the effort and execution yesterday was awful. Many discounted the damage NWMS did on the offensive glass during the exhibition game, but it was disconcerting to me. These guys just appear to not want to put a body on their guy after the shot goes. How many garbage hoops did McDermott get because nobody blocked him out? Hard to be too critical on McCaffrey. He doesn't have the horses to compete beyond the NC A&T level yet.

Creighton is a good team...

I think everyone is discrediting Creighton. They are a team that returns 5 starters. They also make teams spread the court, because there 1-4(Starters and Bench) can shoot well from 3 point range. Mel played awful, but it was going up against the MVC's best player. Marble is being wasted as a point guard and it showed in this game. He should perform much better when playing his true position.

should make the tourney. But we will face better in the B1G.

Just by the eyeball test this team appears to believe they arrived at the end of last year by beating Purdue and playing MSU close in the BTT. The lack of effort, especially on the defensive end, was inexcusable. It's really been that way the entire year but the first 3 opponents were so bad Iowa could get away with taking foolish gambles on defense and not contesting shots.

Lack of talent is one thing, and this team still lacks a lot, but not giving effort on defense gets you exposed when the other team is making open shots. Hopefully this was an eye-opener for everyone involved.

I agree that Marble needs to play the wing..

but it's hard to be an effective perimeter player when you can't shoot. At all. He doesn't have to make 3's to be effective, but he does have to knock down mid-range shots or go to the basket effectively.

Fran and Marble are not theproblem, Fran is playing Marble out of position because he has to, Basabe is the weak link right now,
Basabe has to be the inside dominator and is not doing it, all I've seen when i have been able to get a live stream and a replay and yesterday's game, is that he is just going thru the motion and all he has to do is walk on the floor and they will win, in fact all you have to do is find his interview and listen to him talk about the level of compition he felt Creighton was supposed to be compared to BT teams
If Basabe shows this attitude again wednesday night he needs to lose his starting spot and the majority of his minutes to get his attention, that he has to come perpared to play "EVERY GAME"

Melsohn is not comfortable this year, and is forcing the issue inside when there is no shot available. That will change as the season goes on.....

Hopefully this is a temporary thing that the coaching staff can solve. I personally believe they can.....

:)

Getting into position to avoid getting boxed out is a skill that doesn't accidentally happen, same as the guys boxing out isn't just in an area. McDermott knows how to rebound and get himself around guys thinking they know how to box out. It can look easy if your smart and know how to predict how a ball comes off the board and you get to that spot before the ball. For Iowa its not going to be their skill level winning games but Hard *** busting your chops work when your on the floor. I didn't see it against Creighton.

Wonder how we won any games last year with such a worthless crew this year.....

Mind-boggling indeed.....

Maybe Fran can do better at his next job.....

Next coach in.....

Let's keep trying until we get it right.....

:D

Lots of fundamental errors, especially on defense. This team will have games like that all season. It's just frustrating to see it from players who should know better.
I'll leave it at that to avoid calling out players.

Lots of fundamental errors, especially on defense. This team will have games like that all season. It's just frustrating to see it from players who should know better.
I'll leave it at that to avoid calling out players.
Lots of work to be done, Lots, I am confident that Fran will get the teams' attention.

Somewhat of a brutal reality check yesterday, perhaps, as has been mentioned, the team doesn't think that much work has to be done, and things will just pick up where they were at the end of the last season. Fran will explain things to them in no uncertain terms if that is the case.

:)

Iowa better not be looking forward to Clemson. Campbell has some good players and they beat North Carolina A&T just as badly as we did. If we think we can just show up for the game, we are in for another unpleasant surprise.

Two things are obvious:

1) We miss Cole's toughness, intensity and energy.

2) Hubbard, even Payne, would really help.

This team lacks toughness down low and quicks / dribble drive from the perimeter. If Basabe and Marble don't figure out how to get into the flow of the game, we will lose to Campbell.

why pick on Marble he is again playing out of position, he is either a 2 or a 3 period. who is being forced to play pt guard, it is obvious that this is the reason why Hubbard was being brought in was to play the pt,
i don't know how much the concuscion is linger with Marble but i wish people would stop dumping on Marble, he is doing his best at a position he was not meant to play

Latest posts