Very Mentally Weak and a waste of talent and a great opportunity to do great things

HaydenHawk56

not seen in a long while in Iowa City. Sad. Pathetic. What more can you say.

Making the NCAAs is the goal. Nothing more, nothing less. And, I'm not holding my breath to get passed the 2nd game (if not the first).

12-19 from the line. 12-19 man.

Re: Very Mentally Weak and a waste of talent and a great opportunity to do great thin

not seen in a long while in Iowa City. Sad. Pathetic. What more can you say.

Making the NCAAs is the goal. Nothing more, nothing less. And, I'm not holding my breath to get passed the 2nd game (if not the first).

12-19 from the line. 12-19 man.
Is this thread about fran?

Re: Very Mentally Weak and a waste of talent and a great opportunity to do great thin

this team is not a waste of talent

it is performing up to, or slightly above its talent level

no player on this team is a legit first-team or second team all B1G player. you really think a roster full of role players can win a B1G championship?

marble gets shut down by elite defenders -- he isn't big time quick or explosive, and still makes some reckless decisions

white can't handle or get off a reliable jump shot, and is a defensive liability in the half court if he's not jumping into passing lanes

mel, zach, clemmons are the mid-major players they were predicted to be

mike and woody are going to be very good. this time next year woody will anchor the half court defense and mike may have made the jump to being one of the best pgs in the B1G

jok and utoff (in terms of game experience) are freshmen: one will make a big leap next year, but both are overmatched defensively right now

gabe still gets lost in half court d and gets pushed around in the post. yes he puts up impressive numbers off the bench, but sometimes he gives up as much as he gives you

ogs is ogs. role player and good in the zone, but he's never going to be more than a complimentary piece

against the osu, msu, and um, we've seen weaknesses isolated and exploited. it's not hard for a good team to beat iowa: shut down the break and get iowa into half court sets.

the isu fans had it right -- iowa's depth consists in having a lot of good but no great players (which could be said of any upper tier power conference team). just because they get playing time doesn't mean the team is "deep." fran plays a lot of guys.

as I've been rattling on all year, the team needs a talent injection, or 9-9, 10-8 is the ceiling, with a lot of frustrating losses. I'd take that, compared to where the program has been since 1999-2000.

bottom line: you can't win big without the horses. we don't have the horses -- yet.

12 of 19 was blistering the nets compared with 3 of 20 from 3.

this team is not a waste of talent

it is performing up to, or slightly above its talent level

no player on this team is a legit first-team or second team all B1G player. you really think a roster full of role players can win a B1G championship?

marble gets shut down by elite defenders -- he isn't big time quick or explosive, and still makes some reckless decisions

white can't handle or get off a reliable jump shot, and is a defensive liability in the half court if he's not jumping into passing lanes

mel, zach, clemmons are the mid-major players they were predicted to be

mike and woody are going to be very good. this time next year woody will anchor the half court defense and mike may have made the jump to being one of the best pgs in the B1G

jok and utoff (in terms of game experience) are freshmen: one will make a big leap next year, but both are overmatched defensively right now

gabe still gets lost in half court d and gets pushed around in the post. yes he puts up impressive numbers off the bench, but sometimes he gives up as much as he gives you

ogs is ogs. role player and good in the zone, but he's never going to be more than a complimentary piece

against the osu, msu, and um, we've seen weaknesses isolated and exploited. it's not hard for a good team to beat iowa: shut down the break and get iowa into half court sets.

the isu fans had it right -- iowa's depth consists in having a lot of good but no great players (which could be said of any upper tier power conference team). just because they get playing time doesn't mean the team is "deep." fran plays a lot of guys.

as I've been rattling on all year, the team needs a talent injection, or 9-9, 10-8 is the ceiling, with a lot of frustrating losses. I'd take that, compared to where the program has been since 1999-2000.

bottom line: you can't win big without the horses. we don't have the horses -- yet.

Ironically, I actually agree with all of that. I should have said, waste of a golden opportunity and left out the talent part. Losing the past 2 homes games was a golden opportunity lost.

I think I also agree with Palmetto. Other than Woodbury & Gesell, this team is made up of 2-3* recruits, and lacks shooters that can consistently make the 3 ball. I know, I know, stars don't matter. But I'll still take my chances on a recruiting class full of 4-5* players.

I'd say the talent on this team is OK, but not great. Fran has done a good job of identifying and developing solid basketball talent, but I have to disagree with Dan Dakich that Iowa has good enough talent to make the Final Four. Not realistically anyway, barring a region with tons of upsets, etc.

I think I also agree with Palmetto. Other than Woodbury & Gesell, this team is made up of 2-3* recruits, and lacks shooters that can consistently make the 3 ball. I know, I know, stars don't matter. But I'll still take my chances on a recruiting class full of 4-5* players.

I'd say the talent on this team is OK, but not great. Fran has done a good job of identifying and developing solid basketball talent, but I have to disagree with Dan Dakich that Iowa has good enough talent to make the Final Four. Not realistically anyway, barring a region with tons of upsets, etc.
Maybe Final 4 of BIG, but that's a big stretch at this point. I could see Iowa having to play NW or Purdue in the first round and having another piece of crap shooting night.

Latest posts