Vegas pretty much calls it again....Iowa good, but not great team.

HaydenHawk56

However, what is so frustrating is the same can be said for MSU and if Iowa even puts up an average make effort shooting the 3 ball, they win. But, the way I saw it, MSU's athletes just as much did us in again. Quickness and endurance down the stretch favored them.

So frustrating. Those *ukers have our number, own us at the Breslin. This was one of their weakest outfits and they still prevailed over one of Fran's better teams (with perhaps the best player in the conference and the nation).

However, what is so frustrating is the same can be said for MSU and if Iowa even puts up an average make effort shooting the 3 ball, they win. But, the way I saw it, MSU's athletes just as much did us in again. Quickness and endurance down the stretch favored them.

So frustrating. Those *ukers have our number, own us at the Breslin. This was one of their weakest outfits and they still prevailed over one of Fran's better teams (with perhaps the best player in the conference and the nation).

This team without CJ isn't one of Fran's best teams. They are pretty good because of one elite player. They have another really good player but unfortunately he's in a big time funk.

“Better teams” without 3 starters and an all conference player who looks lost. I’d say you’re under appreciating this team. Find me another team that’s competing like Iowa is without one ingredient let alone a cupboard and I’ll start maybe thinking any negative thoughts towards them, but probably not...

Wasn’t there talk earlier in the season on how good of a 3pt shooting team this was?

3 or 4 horrendous shooting nights ... not bad nights ... horrendous

“Better teams” without 3 starters and an all conference player who looks lost. I’d say you’re under appreciating this team. Find me another team that’s competing like Iowa is without one ingredient let alone a cupboard and I’ll start maybe thinking any negative thoughts towards them, but probably not...

To be clear, this same Iowa team also got blown out on the road this year having CJ in the roster rotation. This is a good Iowa team and they have proven to be a real tough out at home. But, they can't win titles at Carver this year. They have to do it on the road and this team does not have enough pieces right now (you are right they have injuries) but I also think they lack that certain athleticism that can power them through in games like this (when both teams are not shooting the greatest, but MSU still shot ok when things were all said and done). MSU still has us beat there in speed and endurance. We kind of looked plodding and clunky down the stretch.

To be clear, this same Iowa team also got blown out on the road this year having CJ in the roster rotation. This is a good Iowa team and they have proven to be a real tough out at home. But, they can't win titles at Carver this year. They have to do it on the road and this team does not have enough pieces right now (you are right they have injuries) but I also think they lack that certain athleticism that can power them through in games like this (when both teams are not shooting the greatest, but MSU still shot ok when things were all said and done). MSU still has us beat there in speed and endurance. We kind of looked plodding and clunky down the stretch.
Tonight was 3 point shooting. Not physical play.

I can’t argue your logic there, but again we are plodding along with our 8th and 9th players and competing against everyone. When your second best player, and guy you need the most is sucking, it’s a pretty hard ask to think you’re gonna win that game. If joe does anything we probably aren’t having this talk. It’s easier getting over games like Purdue when we get blown out. I get that. Just keep in mind our lineup here and how different things would be full force. I agree with others that if we get Cj back and joe wakes up, I want those guys again. Go hawks!

I can’t argue your logic there, but again we are plodding along with our 8th and 9th players and competing against everyone. When your second best player, and guy you need the most is sucking, it’s a pretty hard ask to think you’re gonna win that game. If joe does anything we probably aren’t having this talk. It’s easier getting over games like Purdue when we get blown out. I get that. Just keep in mind our lineup here and how different things would be full force. I agree with others that if we get Cj back and joe wakes up, I want those guys again. Go hawks!

For sure, man if this team had a better bench, less injuries, and whatever seems to plague Fran's best shooters at crucial times we could have better things.

This team without CJ isn't one of Fran's best teams. They are pretty good because of one elite player. They have another really good player but unfortunately he's in a big time funk.
Part of me is excited because of all the contributions we are getting right now from the other guys.

If we get CJ back, and Wiesy out of his slump (having CJ will help), this team could be a scary matchup because Joe T, Evelyn, Pemsl, and Kriener are all playing with confidence now.

Part of me is excited because of all the contributions we are getting right now from the other guys.

If we get CJ back, and Wiesy out of his slump (having CJ will help), this team could be a scary matchup because Joe T, Evelyn, Pemsl, and Kriener are all playing with confidence now.[/QUOTE

Another key is that those guys continue to play with confidence even though they aren’t necessarily asked to be major contributors. They have to be at this point which is hurting us, but I love what they have brought.

If we get CJ back, and Wiesy out of his slump (having CJ will help), this team could be a scary matchup because Joe T, Evelyn, Pemsl, and Kriener are all playing with confidence now.
Joe Fredrick brought up an interesting point in the All Hawkeyes podcast. If you could take away all of Connor's last second desperation 3s (which there have been a lot of) he's probably shooting 45% from 3. That stat is his guess. Mine is about 40% which is still good. He's fairly reliably when he's shooting from a situation he wants to be shooting from.

Joe Fredrick brought up an interesting point in the All Hawkeyes podcast. If you could take away all of Connor's last second desperation 3s (which there have been a lot of) he's probably shooting 45% from 3. That stat is his guess. Mine is about 40% which is still good. He's fairly reliably when he's shooting from a situation he wants to be shooting from.
Connor has been steady to very good all year. Pemsl and Evelyn were non factors for quite some time but appear to be finding their groove. I’m not sure how these final 3 games shake out, but I’m excited to watch this team in tournament basketball.

It’s almost like you have forgotten that JBo and CJ are out. They’re pretty good shooters, right?
It’s almost like you’ve forgotten those statements were made after JBo sat and almost like you don’t know a couple of those bad shooting nights were with CJ in the lineup.

It’s almost like you’ve forgotten those statements were made after JBo sat and almost like you don’t know a couple of those bad shooting nights were with CJ in the lineup.

They have the best offense in the B1G, despite having CJ, JBO, Nunge, Pmac in street clothes. Those bad nights happen to every team. Injuries happen to every team. But injuries disrupt flow, it changes roles, it puts players in positions they may have not been ready for

If you can’t take into account the circumstances this team has faced and see that they are defying the odds to even be in this position your not objectively looking at it. At this point, even being good not great is a fairly amazing because again, the circumstances.

This isn’t “Fran’s best team” imo, it could have been had we not faced the injuries to key players. As long as you recognize that there really isn’t much to bitch about imo. It’s crazy how good we are despite that..... ie good coach

Latest posts