Vandervelde story

This is a fabulous story by CR Gazette writer Mike Hlas. Everyone in the country should have the chance to read this and learn what so many, many D-1 college athletes are really like instead of people clinging to their negative, stereotypical myths. Congrats to Mr. Hlas for writing it and, especially, to student-athlete Julian Vandervelde for living a life anyone would be proud to call their own.

I hate to be the one to say/post this, but this 'story' is nothing new, its been regurgitated repeatedly over the past few years. I agree its a neat story and he is by all accounts a fine young man, but seriously how many times do we need to read about the fact he is well rounded, sings in the choir and was part of the Davenport LLWS team. I could appreciate it if a national writer picked up on this story and wrote about it for the 23rd time, but the local media types have beaten this storyline up, enough already. I would be more interested in seeing how he and Gettis are doing at guard, what the center battle is looking like and who is currently rolling with the No 2's in practice in the event the local writers have stalled on topics to discuss with the Hawks.

I hate to be the one to say/post this, but this 'story' is nothing new, its been regurgitated repeatedly over the past few years. I agree its a neat story and he is by all accounts a fine young man, but seriously how many times do we need to read about the fact he is well rounded, sings in the choir and was part of the Davenport LLWS team. I could appreciate it if a national writer picked up on this story and wrote about it for the 23rd time, but the local media types have beaten this storyline up, enough already. I would be more interested in seeing how he and Gettis are doing at guard, what the center battle is looking like and who is currently rolling with the No 2's in practice in the event the local writers have stalled on topics to discuss with the Hawks.

How hard is it to ignore this thread and look for one more adjacent to your liking? I found myself enjoying the parts I didn't know and skimming the parts I was familiar with. We would all like to see Ju take the step with regards to his line play, but it was evident from the get-go that this piece was going to be more about the man.