Utah A.G. goes to D.C. to discuss playoff

99topdawg

If you're not a fan of the BCS, this might be encouraging.

"Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff has a hard time envisioning a scenario where the government doesn’t sue the leaders of college football’s championship system for being an 'illegal monopoly.'"

Shurtleff made his pitch to Justice Department officials during a meeting early Wednesday in Washington, D.C., and left optimistic.

“I was blown away,â€￾ he said. “What I was very pleased to see is they are doing their due diligence on this thing. I didn’t get that feeling initially.â€￾

Utah A.G. presses BCS probe with feds | The Salt Lake Tribune

If you're not a fan of the BCS, this might be encouraging.

"Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff has a hard time envisioning a scenario where the government doesn’t sue the leaders of college football’s championship system for being an 'illegal monopoly.'"

Shurtleff made his pitch to Justice Department officials during a meeting early Wednesday in Washington, D.C., and left optimistic.

“I was blown away,â€￾ he said. “What I was very pleased to see is they are doing their due diligence on this thing. I didn’t get that feeling initially.â€￾

Utah A.G. presses BCS probe with feds | The Salt Lake Tribune

I have been pro playoff because I feel there are many teams capable of winning a one game championship, but I am not sure if the playoff is the best thing either. If there were a playoff it is going to allow 2-3 no AQ teams into that playoff over other teams anyway. At least this way we don't have to worry about a boise or tcu getting to the title game on a yearly basis unless things really fall into place for them. If there were a playoff this year of, lets say, top 8 teams Iowa would still probably not make it and I would say there body of work is pretty darn good compared to TCU, Utah, or Boise. So, I just don't know where I sit on this anymore.

I have been pro playoff because I feel there are many teams capable of winning a one game championship, but I am not sure if the playoff is the best thing either. If there were a playoff it is going to allow 2-3 no AQ teams into that playoff over other teams anyway. At least this way we don't have to worry about a boise or tcu getting to the title game on a yearly basis unless things really fall into place for them. If there were a playoff this year of, lets say, top 8 teams Iowa would still probably not make it and I would say there body of work is pretty darn good compared to TCU, Utah, or Boise. So, I just don't know where I sit on this anymore.

I still am very pro-playoff. Sure, the teams left out of the top 8 will be b*tching (us included this year, most likely). But if you think of that b*tching as a virus, the BCS is HIV, and the 8-team playoff is more like the common cold. The #3 team has a much more legitimate complaint than does the #9 team.

Teams like TCU and Boise would get in, but that's fine by me as well. If they can win the title in that format, or even just make it to the game and play competitively, I would have little doubt that they belong there, regardless of their conference schedule.

I still am very pro-playoff. Sure, the teams left out of the top 8 will be b*tching (us included this year, most likely). But if you think of that b*tching as a virus, the BCS is HIV, and the 8-team playoff is more like the common cold. The #3 team has a much more legitimate complaint than does the #9 team.

Teams like TCU and Boise would get in, but that's fine by me as well. If they can win the title in that format, or even just make it to the game and play competitively, I would have little doubt that they belong there, regardless of their conference schedule.

I agree with what you are saying. I just think a #3 rated Boise team would be a #18 rated team if they were in a BCS conference, pretty good but with 1-2 losses. Same for TCU or Utah. If over the next 5 years Utah can sustain their winning percentage in the PAC 10 then I might be swayed, but don't think that will happen either.

I agree with what you are saying. I just think a #3 rated Boise team would be a #18 rated team if they were in a BCS conference, pretty good but with 1-2 losses. Same for TCU or Utah. If over the next 5 years Utah can sustain their winning percentage in the PAC 10 then I might be swayed, but don't think that will happen either.

True, but if they didn't start making it to the title game within the first couple years, they wouldn't make the cut as frequently, I don't think. That might come at other's expense, but if they make the cut and prove themselves in a 3-game format against the rest of the top 8, then I'd have little problem with them being there.

Latest posts