Updated lists of coaching canidates

ibahawkeye

A lot has changed since the original thread... I know I have changed my list to this:

1) Lavin
2) Dixon
3) Drew

What are your updated lists?

Drew/Dixon
Forbes

I think all three of these are homeruns. Lavin wasn't able to do squat at UCLA...AT UCLA!!! So I think he would bomb out at Iowa.

There's my list as well, in that order, based on the chatter we're hearing for coaches we might actually have a shot at. Drew or Dixon is a coin toss for me. Forbes as our fallback if we can't get a name coach.

The great thing is that I think Forbes is one hell of a fallback! :) I can't wait until PrimeTime League this summer. Get basketball started again, and get back to fast paced PTL basketball.

The great thing is that I think Forbes is one hell of a fallback! :) I can't wait until PrimeTime League this summer. Get basketball started again, and get back to fast paced PTL basketball.

Definitely. I haven't read anything that makes me think Forbes couldn't end up being a Kirk Ferentz type of hire. Not the biggest name obviously, but a hard worker who would love the job and be able to sell the program to recruits.

I always look forward to basketball season, but it would great to once again have a real REASON to look forward to it . :)

Anyone think that we'll be blindsided again on the coaching hire? I mean we've floated just about every possible name around, and I keep thinking how many of us "knew" last time only to be left saying "WHO?"

I really don't understand the imfatuation with Lavin. He hasn't coached in a long time, and he didn't do all that good while at UCLA. That would be a bad hire, IMO.

1) Drew
2) Forbes

I don't think Dixon has any real interest in the job other than to improve his contract status. And even if he was a legitimate candidate I'd put him 3rd on my list anyway.

I really don't understand the imfatuation with Lavin. He hasn't coached in a long time, and he didn't do all that good while at UCLA. That would be a bad hire, IMO.

Ditto...my infatuation is with Lavin's wife. There is a reason nobody has hired him in the last 10 yrs. Hell, i'm not sure he has even sniffed an interview at a major D-I program.

why don't we just get Roy Williams or Coach K since we're in such a great position to steal whoever we want

Thank you! I was hoping someone would say it. Come on people, we are just not appealing to successful coaches at this time.

There's absolutely no chance of picking Drew, Dixon, Pearl, Izzo, Self or coach K.

Drew is the only one I see being a remote possibility, he's turned around a program that was in worse shape than Iowa, but why would he want to have to do that again? He's earned a tremendous reputation and will be highly reguarded by every d-1 program seeking a coach and Iowa is not as desirable as most.

While it makes sense to give them due diligence and make them aware you're interested, kindly accept their rejection and welcome yourself back to reality.

Our most likely candidate is Forbes, as he's a great recruiter who understands the X's and O's, but will have to surround himself with desciples of the game. B.J. would be a wonderful addition to the coaching staff as an assistant, just to give fans some sense of connecting of past roots and recruiting Chicago.

I for one hope we're able to snag a proven winner, but lets face it, they aren't willing to come to a program that is in disarray. We have very little talent, not many scholarships over the next couple of years and not in a recruiting hotbed to begin with.

There's many of the players on this team that take the athlete out of student-athlete. We're loaded with 2's and 3's with the inability to jump, run, shoot consistantly, pass or rebound.

This is gonna take 4-5 years to "turn-around". Hope the new coach proves me wrong.

Thank you! I was hoping someone would say it. Come on people, we are just not appealing to successful coaches at this time.

There's absolutely no chance of picking Drew, Dixon, Pearl, Izzo, Self or coach K.

Drew is the only one I see being a remote possibility, he's turned around a program that was in worse shape than Iowa, but why would he want to have to do that again? He's earned a tremendous reputation and will be highly reguarded by every d-1 program seeking a coach and Iowa is not as desirable as most.

While it makes sense to give them due diligence and make them aware you're interested, kindly accept their rejection and welcome yourself back to reality.

Our most likely candidate is Forbes, as he's a great recruiter who understands the X's and O's, but will have to surround himself with desciples of the game. B.J. would be a wonderful addition to the coaching staff as an assistant, just to give fans some sense of connecting of past roots and recruiting Chicago.

I for one hope we're able to snag a proven winner, but lets face it, they aren't willing to come to a program that is in disarray. We have very little talent, not many scholarships over the next couple of years and not in a recruiting hotbed to begin with.

There's many of the players on this team that take the athlete out of student-athlete. We're loaded with 2's and 3's with the inability to jump, run, shoot consistantly, pass or rebound.

This is gonna take 4-5 years to "turn-around". Hope the new coach proves me wrong.

When I find out that the guys on my list aren't interested... I will change my wish list.

1) Drew
2) Forbes

I don't think Dixon has any real interest in the job other than to improve his contract status. And even if he was a legitimate candidate I'd put him 3rd on my list anyway.

Check his record at UCLA if that is not successful then thats the kind of failure we need here at Iowa/

Check his record at UCLA if that is not successful then thats the kind of failure we need here at Iowa/

He steadily got worse over the years... he started by winning with players him and Harrick cheated to get. And then he went 10-19 in his final year. Sorry, but that doesn't fly at UCLA, and I would be ticked if we had a coach go 10-19 in his 8th year as well.

Latest posts