Undefeated Iowa not in/at the Rose Bowl

BlckNGldHwk

Am I understanding the BCS selection rules correctly?

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl
3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

So if Texas and Florida/Alabama end up undefeated and Iowa is on the outside, don't the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls then get replacement picks ahead of the Rose Bowl? Can they NOT select another conference champion? Or is it possible we end up in the Fiesta or Sugar bowl?

no...there will still be a regular Rose bowl....

However the National Championship will be played at the Rose bowl as well..just a different date. (i believe)

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if Florida/Bama and Texas end up in the NCG, that leaves the Fiesta and Sugar bowls a replacement pick ahead of any other picks. They could feasibly pick an undefeated Iowa for their bowls, ahead of the Rose, or am I misunderstanding the rules?

So if Texas and Florida/Alabama end up undefeated and Iowa is on the outside, don't the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls then get replacement picks ahead of the Rose Bowl? Can they NOT select another conference champion? Or is it possible we end up in the Fiesta or Sugar bowl?

I think you are correct here. Iowa is contractually obligated to host the Rose Bowl, so assuming the SEC and B12 make the NCG, we will be playing somebody in the first Pasadena BCS game.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if Florida/Bama and Texas end up in the NCG, that leaves the Fiesta and Sugar bowls a replacement pick ahead of any other picks. They could feasibly pick an undefeated Iowa for their bowls, ahead of the Rose, or am I misunderstanding the rules?

Yes the Sugar and Fiesta would get the first two picks of at-large teams, however if Iowa wins the Big Ten they go to the Rose Bowl because they are the Big Ten Champion and not an at-large team. I think the at-large teams are teams that aren't conference champions or non-BCS teams in the top 14 of the final BCS standings.

An example is if Iowa ties with PSU, Iowa won the head to head so they get the automatic bid to the Rose but PSU can be picked as an at-large.

Actually just found this:

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:
A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

So, if the Fiesta and Sugar lose out on NCG participants, they have to select a team that is not hosting another BCS game. i.e. We're going to the Rose Bowl.

A. A team in the NCG;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

So, if the Fiesta and Sugar lose out on NCG participants, they have to select a team that is not hosting another BCS game. i.e. We're going to the Rose Bowl.

Perfect. Nice find, thanks!

A. A team in the NCG;

This is correct, the Big Ten and PAC 10 are both considered host teams for the Rose Bowl, like the Big 12 is for the Fiesta and the SEC is for the Sugar etc.... The conference champion goes to each of these bowls if they aren't in the NC game.

And the reason we went to the Orange Bowl after the 2002 season was we were considered the at-large team from the Big Ten. We didn't automatically go to the Rose Bowl when the BCS sent Ohio State to the Fiesta Bowl that year, the Orange selected us and USC among the at-large teams. Oregon won the Pac-10, so they went to the Rose automatically, and they faced Nebraska, iirc.

And the reason we went to the Orange Bowl after the 2002 season was we were considered the at-large team from the Big Ten. We didn't automatically go to the Rose Bowl when the BCS sent Ohio State to the Fiesta Bowl that year, the Orange selected us and USC among the at-large teams. Oregon won the Pac-10, so they went to the Rose automatically, and they faced Nebraska, iirc.

That Rose Bowl was Oklahoma and Washington State. Nebraska was there the year before when they played Miami in the NC game.

Latest posts