UCONN 8-4 BCS Bound Ticket Sales

HawkPrdatr40

First and maybe only time ever time they will go to a BCS Bowl. So what is the University having to do, Beg the fans to buy tickets. It's funny and a disgrace.

Don't want to open it up this sums it up:
The Fiesta Bowl distributed 17,500 tickets to UConn, and the school is responsible to sell them all. The cheapest of those tickets cost $111 (in the lower end zone) and can cost as much as $268 for club level.
UConn also has a hotel obligation — a total of 550 rooms at three different hotels ranging in price from $125-225 a night, not including tax, with blocks reserved for either three or seven nights.
Additional expenses include a chartered flight and meals for the team, staff and 300-member band, as well as a $100,000 bonus to coach Randy Edsall, and smaller bonuses for assistants, per their contracts, for getting the team to a BCS bowl.
Cost of any tickets or hotel rooms that go unfilled are absorbed by the university.
It gets worse:
As of Monday night, only 4,000 tickets had been sold, meaning UConn was still holding roughly $2.5 million in unsold tickets.
UConn Begs Fans To Buy Tix, Facing Huge Loss

Last edited:
UCONN was FCS about 8 years ago. Its a basketball school trying to gain a following on the gridiron. Not sure why this surprises people.

Disgrace for the BCS for sure.

+10000

Just another reason that Wetzel points out in his book that demonstrates the BCS is a self-serving, cartel-run oligopoly. They make each and every school, for each and every 35 bowl games, sell out their "allotment" of tickets or the schools eat the cost.

Can you think of anything so stupid as the NCAA out-sourcing its biggest stage every year to the bowls, and, allowing the BCS to dictate the "buy the tickets or else" policy?

The whole thing is so absurd it's comical.

4 loss teams should not be in the BCS. What a terrible matchup.

+1000000

Again, this demonstrates what a dinosaur the BCS is. Why the archaic rule that only two teams from any one league get to a BCS game? Why not the best teams?

11-1 MSU left out and going to the non-BCS Cap-1? Are you kidding me?

+1000000

Again, this demonstrates what a dinosaur the BCS is. Why the archaic rule that only two teams from any one league get to a BCS game? Why not the best teams?

I understand the argument but MSU is the MOST overrated team in the country. Bama is going to roll them in the capital one bowl...its a travesty that a team like Bama didn't get in the BCS and UCONN did.

I understand the argument but MSU is the MOST overrated team in the country. Bama is going to roll them in the capital one bowl...its a travesty that a team like Bama didn't get in the BCS and UCONN did.

Well...you know what...we all heard that lame BS all last year about Iowa...."lucky", "worse than their record", "GTech will roll them", "they don't deserve a NC shot" (when they were were 9-0), "bad bowl game matchup....nobody will watch."

We know how that turned out.

So, once again, for the millionth time, I say, "Let them prove it on the field" versus being segragated by some lame/worthless 2-person/1-computer poll.

Under the current silly and biased system we're forced to endure at the end of the college FB season...11-1, out of the Big-10, deserves a BCS bowl. End of argument.

Anything else is just BCS-ludicrous.

Last edited:
Because the BCS is comprised of the top conferences and they wanted to ensure that no single conference dominated the entire BCS.

If they didn't have that rule, can't you just see 5 of the 8 BCS teams all being from the SEC? They are the best conference in the land, aren't they? :D

Read the book.

+1000000

Because the BCS is comprised of the top conferences and they wanted to ensure that no single conference dominated the entire BCS.

If they didn't have that rule, can't you just see 5 of the 8 BCS teams all being from the SEC? They are the best conference in the land, aren't they? :D

Read the book.

Yeah I know, but there has to be flexibility when special circumstances arise. Also, if TCU beats Wisconsin, shouldn't they have a chance to play for #1? I think so.

Your copy is coming soon pal.

Well...you know what...we all heard that lame BS all last year about Iowa...."lucky", "worse than their record", "GTech will roll them", "they don't deserve a NC shot" (when they were were 9-0), "bad bowl game matchup....nobody will watch."

We know how that turned out.

So, once again, for the millionth time, I say, "Let them prove it on the field" versus being segragated by some lame/worthless 2-person/1-computer poll.

Under the current silly and biased system we're forced to endure at the end of the college FB season...11-1, out of the Big-10, deserves a BCS bowl. End of argument.

Anything else is just BCS-ludicrous.

I'm with Kirk Herbstreit I am all for MSU being in the BCS...and it's not that they have a loss...but it's how they lost...they got demolished by a obviously poor Iowa team...didn't lose a close one but got throttled...as well as how they won...(trick plays and fake punts)

I agree that everyone said that about us last year...but we never got mahandled last year.
MSU removed themselves from BCS consideration with how they lost in Kinnick...simple as that.

Not only is UConn having problems selling tickets, but I thought I saw where Oklahoma had only sold 9,500, VT had sold only like 8,000 for the Orange Bowl and Stanford said they had "plenty" left. The Orange Bowl and Fiesta Bowl are going to have half empty stadiums.

I'm with Kirk Herbstreit I am all for MSU being in the BCS...and it's not that they have a loss...but it's how they lost...they got demolished by a obviously poor Iowa team...didn't lose a close one but got throttled...as well as how they won...(trick plays and fake punts)

I agree that everyone said that about us last year...but we never got mahandled last year.
MSU removed themselves from BCS consideration with how they lost in Kinnick...simple as that.

One of UCONN's four losses came as a blowout to Michigan. They also lost by two touchdowns to Temple. Shouldn't that remove them from the BCS then by that same logic?

I just don't think one loss embodies an entire season's worth of effort. They beat Wisconsin. They beat everybody but Iowa. They found ways to win...trickier or what not. Doesn't matter...they won! They had a bad day versus Iowa.

For the record, I honestly don't think Iowa is a poor team...I think we just played poorly...if that makes any sense?

Last edited:
One of UCONN's four losses came as a blowout to Michigan. They also lost by two touchdowns to Temple. Shouldn't that remove them from the BCS then by that same logic?

I am not arguing about that...that's a totally different can of worms (how is the Big East still an AQ??)

But under the system currently and conferences...I don't believe MSU should have made it in....if they made it in...Boise, and Bama should have as well.

Latest posts