Tyler Cook Says Decision to be Made About Future

If Cook isn't "into it" at Iowa...that cancerous thinking bleeds into the team...and makes sense. He needs to be gone...get some players who want to play, who won't infect the others. What is there to lose with this hideous season as evidence. Go to Missouri...now...

He can dunk. He can really dunk. But, the rest of his game is no where near his talent in the dunking arts. Maybe another coach can get more out of him. But, if he is not into it here, then I wish him luck.

And I don't blame him if he feels he is not getting the quality instruction needed to improve his game and the team he plays on. If that is the case.

I think he is trying to get leverage for changes to be made, or to get Fran to go after a recruit he knows? I doubt if he really believes he has a chance at the pros he will be willing sit out a year. So I dont get it, its likely a means to voice is displeasure with this season. I think he'd go play in Europe before sitting out a year.

He can dunk. He can really dunk. But, the rest of his game is no where near his talent in the dunking arts. Maybe another coach can get more out of him. But, if he is not into it here, then I wish him luck.

And I don't blame him if he feels he is not getting the quality instruction needed to improve his game and the team he plays on. If that is the case.

Don't kid yourself. He made huge strides this year...major. Have you noticed the physicality going to the basket and initiating the contact...that's new and he's a bruiser. He also has really improved his handle. He can take the ball through traffic and that's only going to get better. The 15-18 foot jumper is coming along too...it's not there...but it's much much better than last year. He needs work defensively...but that's all desire and coaching for someone with his athleticism...and he improved greatly.

This is a major loss to this program. My guess is that he looked around him and he thought...do we have what it takes to battle the best teams in the country right now. I'm sure he knew the answer.

Don't kid yourself. He made huge strides this year...major. Have you noticed the physicality going to the basket and initiating the contact...that's new and he's a bruiser. He also has really improved his handle. He can take the ball through traffic and that's only going to get better. The 15-18 foot jumper is coming along too...it's not there...but it's much much better than last year. He needs work defensively...but that's all desire and coaching for someone with his athleticism...and he improved greatly.

This is a major loss to this program. My guess is that he looked around him and he thought...do we have what it takes to battle the best teams in the country right now. I'm sure he knew the answer.
He has knocked down some jumpers. I have noticed that. He is pretty brick prone from the line though. I also think it is a loss for the program for sure.....unless he is a cancer on the program. But, I think that lies with the head man more than him.

Last edited:
Of course, I hope Tyler will return to Iowa next season. I really do not think a transfer at this point, particularly given that he would have to sit out for a year, would help him, IF his real goal is the NBA. His best bet would be to continue to improve his game at Iowa (which is up to him, not the coaching staff), enjoy the spotlight on BT basketball with national TV attention, finish his degree, continue to be a good teammate, and just relax and enjoy the ride. Look at the guys who have transferred from Iowa, or any other school for that matter: How many have actually upgraded their stock? Play the odds, Tyler, play the odds.

I think it's definitely possible for him to play in Europe a year and then make the NBA. He'd have more time to work on the things he needs to work on...

Question. How many guys have gone to Europe and have come back home and made the NBA?

He did improve his game. He doesn't play much defense but neither does anyone else on the team. He leads the team in points and rebounds. If he leaves, it's a huge blow to the program.

Cook is gone, but he’s not a pro player, guys. Not even close.

He doesn’t hold a candle to Uthoff or Jok and look at how tough of a time they’ve had trying to break through.

People fail to realize that the NBA is by far the hardest sport to make a roster in, even more so than football. If you follow NBA or have ever been to a game you can see that those guys are absolute physical beasts. They’re huge and unless you have a freak skill like a Curry or Stockton etc, you’re not going to be around long if at all. Cook has a tough enough time in the Big Ten, he’s not going to go play in Europe for a couple years and all of sudden start making money in the G-League.

Cook is the best player on the team. Fran can certainly not afford to lose him. Unless he is the root of chemistry problems holding the team back from gelling then Fran absolutely must find a way to keep him here. If he wants to go to the NBA he owes it to himself to have a successful college season to ride out on. For fond memories sake alone. Fran must convince TC of this or he is failing this program yet again.

The pitch is simple. I mean you don't think Cook had envisioned playing in the NCAA tournament? You tell him 1 more year. Promise him the tournament and then deliver. Pretty simple stuff.

If Tyler Cook transfers to another school well then I will most likely go Hiroshima in my living room.