Tyler Cook Announces Decision to Test NBA Waters

It really comes down to whether he would rather make money playing somewhere or come back to college. If he really had it in his head the whole time that he was going to play 2 years and be done, it would take some time to come to the realization that that isnt your best course of action anymore and its time to reasses your plans.

I can only see this as a good thing for Iowa and Cook. He should get some solid feedback and be hungry to work to improve himself.

I mean, without the kind of dick-ish tone, yes if this is all his "decision" was, he'll be back.

No dick-ish tone intended. This will be a good experience for him, no doubt about it.

But I think we'd all be surprised if they told him he was NBA ready.

He's legit testing the NBA waters, and I am glad this came out so quickly to help squash the rumors of a transfer, even tho he did that on his own through a tweet. Honestly, this is best news Iowa fans can get. It's almost a certain TC is back for his junior year and I would say unless he has a monster All American type season next year, a pretty good chance he plays out his eligibility.

No dick-ish tone intended. This will be a good experience for him, no doubt about it.

But I think we'd all be surprised if they told him he was NBA ready.
Sorry, misread your tone due to the brevity of your post. No he's not ready... I took your post as snark. My bad.

He's legit testing the NBA waters, and I am glad this came out so quickly to help squash the rumors of a transfer, even tho he did that on his own through a tweet. Honestly, this is best news Iowa fans can get. It's almost a certain TC is back for his junior year and I would say unless he has a monster All American type season next year, a pretty good chance he plays out his eligibility.
I'm glad this came out too. He didn't really quash the transfer rumor, he just said not Missouri and there was still G league discussion. This appears to remove all doubt that he'll be back.

Sorry, misread your tone due to the brevity of your post. No he's not ready... I took your post as snark. My bad.

I'm glad this came out too. He didn't really quash the transfer rumor, he just said not Missouri and there was still G league discussion. This appears to remove all doubt that he'll be back.

No worries, man.

Unless the NCAA lifts the sit out to transfer a year (which is possible from what I've read), I think a transfer is just not in the cards for a guy looking to get to the NBA as fast as possible. He won't get invited to the combine and he's not on any top 150 list and what 60 guys get drafted? I think it's almost a certainty he's back in IC next year unless he just wants to not be in school and go over seas. But how many of those guys ever come back? Not many and he has to know that.

After he is evaluated, if he is going to be drafted he probably will turn pro. If he comes back to Iowa, I think he should work on his rebounding and defense. He will get plenty of repetitions on his shot with all the work they put in. You never know if the shot will improve, but you can always improve on rebounding and defense. He will score his points either way.

Agreed, but I wouldn't count it out. If he gets that jumper consistent and improves on defense, he could average 20 and 10 with a couple blocks and leave after next season. I think he's honestly only a few pointers and maybe 1-2 thousand hours of practice away from developing a jumper out to 20 feet and solid college defense. He flashed the jumper this year and it was smooth when he didn't rush it. It kind of reminded me of White's before he put things together his senior year. On defense, he just needs to feel the urgency a bit more and keep his head on a swivel. I think that will be hammered again and again in team practice this off-season.

My expert analysis and prediction with zero credentials to back it up: he leads Iowa to the sweet 16 averaging 18.4269ppg and 9.8675309rpg then makes the jump.

Agreed, but I wouldn't count it out. If he gets that jumper consistent and improves on defense, he could average 20 and 10 with a couple blocks and leave after next season. I think he's honestly only a few pointers and maybe 1-2 thousand hours of practice away from developing a jumper out to 20 feet and solid college defense. He flashed the jumper this year and it was smooth when he didn't rush it. It kind of reminded me of White's before he put things together his senior year. On defense, he just needs to feel the urgency a bit more and keep his head on a swivel. I think that will be hammered again and again in team practice this off-season.

My expert analysis and prediction with zero credentials to back it up: he leads Iowa to the sweet 16 averaging 18.4269ppg and 9.8675309rpg then makes the jump.

sign me up

One thing to consider is we all think he has no chance to have a good evaluation do in large part to his defense and rebounding, but he obviously has the physical tools to excel at those things, so what if he really gets after it in the evaluatiins? Ups his game because he really has something to try for. Will NBA teams care what his film looked like at Iowa? Or can they be wowed over a few workouts of 100% effort ?

Did you round up or down?

One thing to consider is we all think he has no chance to have a good evaluation do in large part to his defense and rebounding, but he obviously has the physical tools to excel at those things, so what if he really gets after it in the evaluatiins? Ups his game because he really has something to try for. Will NBA teams care what his film looked like at Iowa? Or can they be wowed over a few workouts of 100% effort ?

Could, ya never know. I would say that the NBA (and MLB) draft more on future potential then any other sport. He has boatloads of it.

Could, ya never know. I would say that the NBA (and MLB) draft more on future potential then any other sport. He has boatloads of it.

Thinking about that makes me a little more nervous. We rarely saw Cook give 100% effort this year. I'm assuming he will give it in the workouts.

Latest posts