Twitter Ban

JHAWKEYE2

Urban Meyer bans OSU players from using Twitter. According to many on this board this certainly means that he is out of touch with his players and there is no way they can win. Certainly he cannot be as out of touch as Ferentz....

Urban Meyer bans OSU players from using Twitter. According to many on this board this certainly means that he is out of touch with his players and there is no way they can win. Certainly he cannot be as out of touch as Ferentz....

he needs to be brought up to speed in what it takes to play winning football in the modern era, no doubt about it.

Were I a coach, I'd probably ban my players from twitter, too

I wouldn't. To ban twitter and not facebook is kinda pointless anyway.

I think it lends credence to the belief that your coach thinks you are too dumb to know right and wrong.

I would lay out ground rules for what can be spoken about, and what belongs inside the walls of the program.

Then I would simply say that there will be no warnings and that deviating from these rules will get you suspended without question, and that if you have to think about whether something is ok to post, it is not.

That it is up to them to be responsible members of the program, and if they can't do it, they should disable their account now.

These are big boys, and they need to learn about how to filter their public thoughts as much as they need to learn chemistry or how to effectively pass block.

Nothing good can come from twitter.

I'd be tempted to ban facebook as well.

Just looking for trouble with players venting on there.

I would bet Coach Meyer probably thinks, if any kid wants so bad to use Twitter, instead of follow team rules, then that kids priorities are screwed up. If that kid would rather use Twitter, instead of playing for a team that has a real shot at a NC game... I'll bet Coach Meyer can do without that kid.:rolleyes:

Wrong again Boss. The coach isn't telling the team he doesn't think they know right from wrong. This isn't a right or wrong issue. He is telling the team that he is in charge, what happens with the team stays within the team, and whatever the public needs to know about his players will be supplied by him.

No one will ever go broke betting against the emotional maturity of young adults.

Wrong again Boss. The coach isn't telling the team he doesn't think they know right from wrong. This isn't a right or wrong issue. He is telling the team that he is in charge, what happens with the team stays within the team, and whatever the public needs to know about his players will be supplied by him.

No one will ever go broke betting against the emotional maturity of young adults.

What's this again ********?

I don't think that what you put out there is at all wrong or unreasonable, nor do I think it differs from what I put out there.

Things about the program belong within these four walls and if you put it out there, you're suspended.

But if you want to talk to your friends, or do non team business on twitter, go for it.

I think you look at how members of our basketball team use it as responsible and non offensive.

What's this again ********?

I don't think that what you put out there is at all wrong or unreasonable, nor do I think it differs from what I put out there.

Things about the program belong within these four walls and if you put it out there, you're suspended.

But if you want to talk to your friends, or do non team business on twitter, go for it.

I think you look at how members of our basketball team use it as responsible and non offensive.

The basketball team also has, what, 15 players max? And 5 coaches? It's a little easier to keep a lid on things. A football team can't do that.

And it is not just team related tweets that can get you in trouble. It was a single Twit pick of a guy on vacation that brought down Butch Davis and destroyed UNC football.

I wouldn't. To ban twitter and not facebook is kinda pointless anyway.

I think it lends credence to the belief that your coach thinks you are too dumb to know right and wrong.

I would lay out ground rules for what can be spoken about, and what belongs inside the walls of the program.

Then I would simply say that there will be no warnings and that deviating from these rules will get you suspended without question, and that if you have to think about whether something is ok to post, it is not.

That it is up to them to be responsible members of the program, and if they can't do it, they should disable their account now.

These are big boys, and they need to learn about how to filter their public thoughts as much as they need to learn chemistry or how to effectively pass block.

Sounds good in theory boss, but even 30 year adults can't control what they put on facebook. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves. I think it's a good idea. You want to keep your good players on the team and out of trouble and god knows that kids/young adults can spout off stupid crap far to easily....and in today's world it's there for everyone to see instantly.

Sounds good in theory boss, but even 30 year adults can't control what they put on facebook. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves. I think it's a good idea. You want to keep your good players on the team and out of trouble and god knows that kids/young adults can spout off stupid crap far to easily....and in today's world it's there for everyone to see instantly.

Yeah maybe, I can for sure see the point of a ban. '

I guess I would just use the platform as a entre to discuss the larger responsibility to the program.

I agree. You also tell the players places they shouldnt go. You tell them who they shouldnt be around. You put them in hotels for home games.

Its very simple you should stay away from places or things that can get you in trouble. This is true of any age.

Also if you have time to pay attention to twitter you could be using that time for film, training, school work, or sleeping.

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
I can confirm from multiple sources close to OSU program Urban Meyer has not issued team-wide ban on Twitter.

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
Tweets about Twitter ban result of edict from Ohio State position coach. Meyer has not told players they cannot Tweet.

Yeah maybe, I can for sure see the point of a ban. '

I guess I would just use the platform as a entre to discuss the larger responsibility to the program.

They could use others errors in judgement to prove their point about their reasons for no twitter.

One of the problems with social media and having everything be "out there" is that there are so many people that, out of jealousy or just lunacy, seem to want to "catch" someone being bad and use their words against them whether they be sports figures or political figures. It's really bad right now....worse than the tabloids..remember all the crap you went through when you were married to Julianne and then started hanging with Patti? And it was nobody's business, right?

What if someone has an online business and uses Twitter to promote it? Actually, quite a few students in college do this to help with finances. Aside from this though, I can't believe that any players haven't filed a lawsuit with a school based on violating their free speech rights. Yeah I know those rights only go so far, but it just seems odd that it hasn't happened yet.

Latest posts