Trying something versus distributing something

A

alexzelada

I've noticed that this has all become about trying marijuana at some point in your life.

Why does the pro-marijuana crowd refuse to acknowledge the other aspects (cocaine/stolen prescriptions/drug dealing) of this ordeal?

Please reply if you think this is about more than a young person taking a hit from a bong at a Frat Party.

I've never tried any kind of drug, and I'm kind of on the fence as far as legalizing pot goes. I do have a relatively easy time dismissing pot, though.

However, cocaine is serious, and why/how Derrell got into that is beyond me. Prescription meds are inthe same boat. He may have started out needing them for injuries and what not, but getting unmarked bottles of the stuff suggests addiction.

Derrell has a serious problem, and I sincerely hope he can get his head on straight.

I've never tried any kind of drug, and I'm kind of on the fence as far as legalizing pot goes. I do have a relatively easy time dismissing pot, though.

However, cocaine is serious, and why/how Derrell got into that is beyond me. Prescription meds are inthe same boat. He may have started out needing them for injuries and what not, but getting unmarked bottles of the stuff suggests addiction.

Derrell has a serious problem, and I sincerely hope he can get his head on straight.
I'm a little older than you. And by a little I mean A LOT. I'm gonna give you some advice that at least 20 million people are gonna tell you to ignore: If you're gonna have a bad habit in life. Don't make it a habit which involves you with a crowd which doesn't give a damn if you take the fall for their bad behavior.

You sound like you already have some common sense. You'll find as you grow older that (CS) group to which you belong gets smaller and smaller each year. Be proud of it.

Cocaine used to be the new marijuana. Now prescription drugs are the new marijuana. They are cheaper and easier to acquire.

nope, for non-hippies they go hand in hand in the IC party scene.
Seriously? I don't mean to sound naive, but if they do equate the two then that is just stupid. Cocaine can kill you if you're not careful. I've never heard of anyone overdosing on marijuana.

Depends on how you are comparing the two. Is it possibility for harmful effects? Lots of accidental deaths occur in association with marijuana intoxication. However, cocaine has more potential for death by overdose. However, that is still only about 200 a year as opposed to 150,000 alcohol related deaths. Do more than 200 people die doing stupid things on pot each year? I would say very likely.

Now, if you compare the two drugs with respect to perspective of risk by average users, I would say they are considered about equal. And, as I said earlier, at one point in the late 70's and early 80's cocaine wasn't really considered any different than pot.

The real issue now is prescription drugs, which are by far the highest cause of fatal drug overdoses each year. And, because it is the new marijuana, really easy to get ahold of. Additionally, because they are legally made and distributed by multi-national corporations, you will only see their production and consumption increase.

Seriously? I don't mean to sound naive, but if they do equate the two then that is just stupid. Cocaine can kill you if you're not careful. I've never heard of anyone overdosing on marijuana.

Because it is impossible to OD on it by yourself. You lose all motor skills before that point. I can't remember where I learned that from.

I'm not defending DJK - but even "selling drugs" is not always quite what you might make it out to be (and I don't know the truth about his situation) The point is he was flaky enough to live with a bunch of shady drug peddlers and thought he could get away with it.

Depends on how you are comparing the two. Is it possibility for harmful effects? Lots of accidental deaths occur in association with marijuana intoxication. However, cocaine has more potential for death by overdose. However, that is still only about 200 a year as opposed to 150,000 alcohol related deaths. Do more than 200 people die doing stupid things on pot each year? I would say very likely.

Now, if you compare the two drugs with respect to perspective of risk by average users, I would say they are considered about equal. And, as I said earlier, at one point in the late 70's and early 80's cocaine wasn't really considered any different than pot.

The real issue now is prescription drugs, which are by far the highest cause of fatal drug overdoses each year. And, because it is the new marijuana, really easy to get ahold of. Additionally, because they are legally made and distributed by multi-national corporations, you will only see their production and consumption increase.

I work in an ER as a pharmacist, so I do have some background to support what I say. I have seen all kinds of alcohol related reasons for people to show up at my door. I have seen meth, LSD, cocaine, and ecstacy related visits. I have never seen a visit due to marijuana alone (yes is combo with other drugs - but marijuana was not the determining factor). Hell, tylenol brings more people to the ED than all of the other drugs listed above combined.

I agree, prescription drug abuse is a huge problem - I could write a book on the topic.

Cocaine kills more than 200 people a year - maybe not by direct overdose, but add in all of the cardiomyopathy deaths due to cocaine and you number increases exponentially.

The relative risk is not even close. I

Although I do find it humorous I can walk into my narcotic vault and see vials of cocaine, bottles of hillbilly heroin (oxycontin), special K (Ketamine), and more vicodin and percocet than you can imagine. But I cannot have marijuana. I have dronabinol (a pill form of THC) but everyone that I have spoke to said it's benefits are nowhere near smoking a joint.

How can you make alcohol legal and not pot? I am reality, which one is more dangerous?

Well first off, if its illegal, its illegal. You don't do it. I am not trying to act morally superior or anything but I feel like that's part of the problem. Coke has become a larger problem over time due to the supply increasing to meet the demand and knocking prices down since it is more readily available.
Mary Wanna may not do anything for you but its still against the law. I understand what it does and all that crap but the reason its not available is A.)because of stereotypes from yesteryear and B.) How do you tax that you can grow in your own home?

The replies were measured and mature and I appreciate them.

I've read all the various Hawk boards and am concerned by the number of people both young and not so young saying that recreational drug use isn't a character defining behavior because everyone does it.

1) Could the repeated mantra "everyone does it" be the way that most people justify it too themselves?

2) What's the "upside" to recreational drug use?

3) Do you make a distinction between a 20yr old doing it and a 50yr old doing it?

4) Do the majority of people who "tried" drugs learn from that experience and gain an understanding as to why it is wrong. Or do they just stop because they are afraid of the legal consequences?

5) Do you think more access to legal drugs as well as illegal drugs helps society? Or hurts society? Or neither?

Latest posts