True Center

MrArndt

Hi - question for someone in the know of McCaffrey's system. Considering that McCaffrey runs a much faster pace game and the fact that I am not familiar with his teams (never saw Sienna play) - does he really utilize a true center that can post up much bigger players in the Big Ten or does he lean toward the sleek, thinner, centers who can move up and down the floor but are unable to truly eat up space in the middle?

I don't know the complete answer here, but I can tell you about what I saw of Fran's
Seinna team of the past 2 years.

Watched them durning championship week and in the NCAA.

From what I saw, Fran had a kid named Rossiter (sp?) who played in the middle. Mid Majors don't tend to have "True Centers", so not much happening in that category.

However, I was highly impressed with the Rossiter kid. Had a nose for the ball and played hard. I saw some nice post moves and good activity for a 5 man.

If he is what Fran can bring for a 5, then Iowa will do just fine.

As far as a True 5, that definition is rare these days IMO. I would expect a 5 in Fran's system will have to be able to run a bit, so exclude big 7 foot slow footed guys. However, from the games I saw, Rossiter did have some isolation plays ran to him on the block, so expect the 5 to be able to post up on the block. I remember watching the kid play and thinking, "damn, this kid could hold his own in the Big Ten".

"True Center" to me is an Oden, Aldrich, or Shaq. A true Center is hard to come by.

Who would be a True Center in the Big Ten last year? Off the top of my head I would say Iverson maybe, uuhhhh, who else, uuhhh, Tisdale???, no not really. Maybe, uhh, not really Anyone else?

So no real "True Center".

As far as size, Iowa is lacking that to the point of being a major problem.

Iowa truly needs someone who can protect the rim at the defensive end. It would also be nice to have someone who has some go to post moves down low.

Right now, IMO, Iowa has neither. Sooooooo, does Iowa need a true center to succeed? IMO, no.

Do they need someone who can protect the rim and someone with go to moves on the post, YES.

Sorry for the long winded ramble, must be the fireworks ringing in my ears.

I don't know the complete answer here, but I can tell you about what I saw of Fran's
Seinna team of the past 2 years.

Watched them durning championship week and in the NCAA.

From what I saw, Fran had a kid named Rossiter (sp?) who played in the middle. Mid Majors don't tend to have "True Centers", so not much happening in that category.

However, I was highly impressed with the Rossiter kid. Had a nose for the ball and played hard. I saw some nice post moves and good activity for a 5 man.

If he is what Fran can bring for a 5, then Iowa will do just fine.

As far as a True 5, that definition is rare these days IMO. I would expect a 5 in Fran's system will have to be able to run a bit, so exclude big 7 foot slow footed guys. However, from the games I saw, Rossiter did have some isolation plays ran to him on the block, so expect the 5 to be able to post up on the block. I remember watching the kid play and thinking, "damn, this kid could hold his own in the Big Ten".

"True Center" to me is an Oden, Aldrich, or Shaq. A true Center is hard to come by.

Who would be a True Center in the Big Ten last year? Off the top of my head I would say Iverson maybe, uuhhhh, who else, uuhhh, Tisdale???, no not really. Maybe, uhh, not really Anyone else?

So no real "True Center".

As far as size, Iowa is lacking that to the point of being a major problem.

Iowa truly needs someone who can protect the rim at the defensive end. It would also be nice to have someone who has some go to post moves down low.

Right now, IMO, Iowa has neither. Sooooooo, does Iowa need a true center to succeed? IMO, no.

Do they need someone who can protect the rim and someone with go to moves on the post, YES.

Sorry for the long winded ramble, must be the fireworks ringing in my ears.

Will we have a true offensive center?- no. The best we will have for a post player on offense will be Basabe with Cole and Brommer probably scoring some post points. However, I'd say we haven't had better for a few years.

Will we have a defensive center stopping the middle? Not in the sense you are talking about. However, I expect this to be a better shot-blocking team than we've had under Lick. May was the best shot-blocker on the team last year. Brommer had a better shot-blocking average per minute than May and I'm expecting his minutes to basically double from last year's 8.4min/game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Basabe is going to be a better shot-blocker than Fuller or Tate or Gorney. Together, our threat in the middle will be an improvement.

So, bottom line, will we have a True Center? No, of course not. But we will be better in the paint on both ends than we've been in a while.

UncleHawk

Not mentioned, but I would think a desired and/or required skill-set for our defensive rebounder would be the ability to see down the floor and then make the outlet pass.

Have at least two guys around 6'10" that can run the floor and play defense and score when the opportunity presents itself, but not rely on that scoring. Iowa hasn't had a C that has been offensive in the basketball sense since Acie Earl.
However, I would like to see Woodbury at Iowa, it would be very interesting to see how he would fit in. From what I read, he is improving on getting up and down the floor much better, but does Iowa need a true C, no.

In the Big Ten you had big guys, like Iverson,Sampson,Leuer,Nankavil,Tisdale,Davis,Lauderdale,Nix,Sherman,and JuJuan Johnson...but as far as traditional power centers? Only Iverson/Sampson, Lauderdale and Johnson score much in the post. But they can all block shots.
I would put Woodbury in that group and figure he would be fine if he matures physically. I think Fran will try to get the tallest athletes he can,but they must be athletes.

Latest posts