Transcript: Fran McCaffery Wednesday Teleconference

He sounds pretty upbeat. Again, we will have to see how this team performs defensively. The opposite problem of the football team.

Thanks Rob that was a fun read. More so then normal because of all the new players and young players. My expectations just went up finding out that Jordan is going to play this season.

Fran speak and KF speech are so different. With KF, nothing is ever very good and everything is about getting better. With Fran, everything is amazing. I do appreciate that Fran does at least try to give some specifics about players, but it is always spun so positive. I would have loved one, "well, we are really not very good at ...."

I thought the comment about Frederick being the best perimeter defender is what surprised me. I had always heard he was a very good shooter and had good length for a 2. If he truly is the best defender on guard, that might sway my thinking on whether he should be the starting 2.

Fran speak and KF speech are so different. With KF, nothing is ever very good and everything is about getting better. With Fran, everything is amazing. I do appreciate that Fran does at least try to give some specifics about players, but it is always spun so positive. I would have loved one, "well, we are really not very good at ...."

I thought the comment about Frederick being the best perimeter defender is what surprised me. I had always heard he was a very good shooter and had good length for a 2. If he truly is the best defender on guard, that might sway my thinking on whether he should be the starting 2.

Part of me was disappointed because it seems like a couple other guys should be better defenders, so it was almost a knock on them. But it also seems like we have a bunch of guys who are good at one thing and bad at others. What we need are complete players. If CJ really is the best defender, maybe we have a complete player as a starting 2. That's a really good thing.

I like the way Fran (over)talks up his players pre-season. They hear what he says about them and it builds up their confidence as well as makes them want to live up to it and not let their coach down. You get so much more out of players or people in general for that matter when you build them up to be great at what they do.

The last year I coached HS Softball we had a real young team and won the conference title. Table was all set for next coach but their style was to chew ass versus build confidence. Ruined them and players so under performed it was sad. One girl went from 1st Team All-Conference to not even making Honorable Mention.

Latest posts