Top-Ranked Hawkeye Wrestlers Pound Minnesota

Cassioppi looked flat last night, I know Steveson is the best folkstyle heavyweight on earth, but it looked to my like Tony gave up the hustle.

At one point he was only down 5-3 plus riding time, and I thought he should have been able to shake some of those quick shots at the end and not give up the major.

Steveson also has been known for those head snaps his whole career and Tony was able to fight those off both times last year. Dunno, he just looked like he was in a funk. I do know Parris isn’t gonna give him any relief next week.

@#1DieHardHawk did you watch?

Last edited:
Cassioppi looked flat last night, I know Steveson is the best folkstyle heavyweight on earth, but it looked to my like Tony gave up the hustle.

At one point he was only down 5-3 plus riding time, and I thought he should have been able to shake some of those quick shots at the end and not give up the major.

Steveson also has been known for those head snaps his whole career and Tony was able to fight those off both times last year. Dunno, he just looked like he was in a funk. I do know Parris isn’t gonna give him any relief next week.

@#1DieHardHawk did you watch?
Had to work late, so watched it late last night on the DVR.

I agree, Cass could have put forth more effort late in the match. It goes against the Iowa grain, but it looked like he mentally threw in the towel in the 3rd. Brands actually called him out a bit afterwards. Beating Steveson is expecting a lot, but there's no excuse for lack of effort. Tony is better than that.

I watched the entire meet with the exception of the final period of the heavy weight match. Tony seemed resigned to being whooped on after the first period.

Had to work late, so watched it late last night on the DVR.

I agree, Cass could have put forth more effort late in the match. It goes against the Iowa grain, but it looked like he mentally threw in the towel in the 3rd. Brands actually called him out a bit afterwards. Beating Steveson is expecting a lot, but there's no excuse for lack of effort. Tony is better than that.
The frustrating thing for me is that Tony fought those head snaps and takedowns off last year. He sprawled and never let himself get in a position to get double legged. As a Big Ten heavyweight You should never get a double thrown on you and definitely never get lifted off the mat.

The frustrating thing for me is that Tony fought those head snaps and takedowns off last year. He sprawled and never let himself get in a position to get double legged. As a Big Ten heavyweight You should never get a double thrown on you and definitely never get lifted off the mat.
Yeah, hard to say what's up with him.

Not to necessarily imply that this is the case with him, but there are some wrestlers that dominate at the HS level that can't mentally adapt to losing at this level, especially if they get dominated a couple of times. Some adapt and improve, while others wilt and end up with a ho hum career. Iowa's had a few over the years. Nick Moore comes to mind.

I will say Stevenson wrestles more like a lower weight class wrestler than a hwt. He is extremely quick. Has to be a huge challenge for any hwt to prep for. Don't think anyone will beat him this year. But admittedly I was disappointed in the way that match unfolded. That must be how every team feels when they go against over half our lineup. The amazing Stat to me from the day was that we only gave up one takedown through the other 9 matches combined.

First Off - Thanks Rob. I think Iowa was very great last night. Aside from the lone loss - I saw that Iowa was pretty dominate - and Tony was not awful btw. Glad for Murin, Young, and Brands! Is Lee on some Quest?

Latest posts