Top 50 College Hoops Coaches

Agree to disagree.

I don't want to speak for IGC, but to be fair, Fran's first team had almost no high major players on it. You had Gatens and May, and they were realistically mid major talents that played their ***** off. Then you had RDM, MB and ZM, all freshmen. I think IGC was thinking that year 1 was a write off season. So, in the past 3 seasons, we've progressed from playing hard and being competitive, to making post season tournaments. That's pretty quick, considering year 1.

But 4 years as a measure of time, obviously, isn't quick while it is happening...then you look back and wonder how the time flew by so quickly.:cool:

If we hadn't ****** the season away, I would probably agree with 33. With the way it ended, I'm actually surprised he's above 40-45.

The previous coach went 38-57 in 3 seasons and left the Iowa program as one of the laughing stocks of all college basketball. ESPN loved to list Iowa on their bottom 10 of all D1 schools during that time. Fran came into that mess and has helped usher Iowa to 3 post season appearances in 4 years and our first NCAA appearance since 2006. Yeah, it was quick. Faster than I could have ever imagined.

Jury is still out....We will see if year 4 was just a step in the process or a high water mark(better be a step in the process).

The Iowa "jury" is filled with idiots then. Honestly, does anyone see Iowa ever NOT being in play for some sort of post season tourney anytime in the foreseeable future? That's a pretty great feeling imo. I also don't see the harm in wanting more, expecting more. I do expect more, but to be disappointed, or unhappy with what Fran has done like so many seem to be on this site, is ******* pathetic, and it essentially happened overnight when you see how far its risen. I HATE Nebraska fans... but Iowa fans are a close 2nd.

Fran has made good progress at Iowa, and I would say the progress has been pretty steady. Probably "on schedule" is what I would say.

Look at Nebraska and ISU.. Neither of those programs were in great shape when Miles & Hoiberg took over either, and they got their teams to the dance in year 2. THAT is "quick" IMO.

Again, I'm not complaining about the progress Fran has made with the program. He's done a terrific job.

Fran has made good progress at Iowa, and I would say the progress has been pretty steady. But look at Nebraska and ISU.. Neither of those programs were in great shape when Miles & Hoiberg took over either, and they got their teams to the dance in year 2. THAT is "quick" IMO.

Again, I'm not complaining about the progress Fran has made with the program. He's done a terrific job.

I agree with that...and both were excellent jobs and examples of changing a culture quickly.... and both are close in proximity and "rivals" of Iowa and they contribute a huge reason to why Iowa hoops fans have gone completely bonkers with expectations and envy. But really, is it that bad here at Iowa? Would you rather have Miles? I wouldn't. I don't think Nebraska will sustain that kind of success at all. I don't think his recruiting classes are even close to on par with Fran.

I agree with that...and both were excellent jobs and examples of changing a culture quickly.... and both are close in proximity and "rivals" of Iowa and they contribute a huge reason to why Iowa hoops fans have gone completely bonkers with expectations and envy. But really, is it that bad here at Iowa? Would you rather have Miles? I wouldn't. I don't think Nebraska will sustain that kind of success at all. I don't think his recruiting classes are even close to on par with Fran.

If you go by rivals stars, they are eerily similar in the same two+ years Tim has been there. Thats if you give those ranking systems much credit.

As far as sustaining success, Nebraska appears committed for once to their basketball program. It may very well be able to nip at the heels of the upper half of the big 10 consistently. Possible anyway.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it. Playing with expectations is a different animal and they had by far one of the easiest conference schedules in the B1G last season. Yes, their classes may match up with Jok last season (since we only added 1 player) and this years class which was disappointing from a stars aspect, but he hasn't put together one even close to our core class that had Mike G or Woody. This is still a team that was getting beat last season by 40 to Creighton and got it's doors blown off by Michigan and lost to UAB (not saying we haven't been in the same place not too long ago), but i think everyone would be best to slow their roll on Nebraska in hoops.