Top 5 hawks

HawkeyeMHA

I have a friend who is one of the best all time hox wrasslers of all time. I want to get your opinions on top wrestlers all time and see if he makes your list. Who ya got?

Royce Alger. Kid had the finest examples of cauliflower ears that I've ever seen. Which means he had to be great.

how about Barry Davis or Jim Zalesky?

pulled up a quick list. yikes. i don't want to do this.

I know I'm bias having gone to school with him, but I have always though Eric Juergens should be in these lists 4 time AA and finishes of 3, 3, 1, and 1

Ed Banach?

got to take Ironside and McDonough off the list. have to have at least 3 NCAA championships to get on the list.

I know I'm bias having gone to school with him, but I have always though Eric Juergens should be in these lists 4 time AA and finishes of 3, 3, 1, and 1

here's a nice little article i just found. now, of course i don't remember the 80's, but we had some dominant guys then.

Looking back at Iowa Wrestling history it's impossible to put together the top 5. I can agree with removing Ironside, but not McDonough.

Then you also have to take into consideration of Joe Williams who was one of the best wrestlers in the 90s. Then you have Zalesky as you mentioned, on top of that you have Terry Brands.

I give up. This is crazy ridiculous looking at the past NCs from Iowa.

Looking back at Iowa Wrestling history it's impossible to put together the top 5. I can agree with removing Ironside, but not McDonough.

Then you also have to take into consideration of Joe Williams who was one of the best wrestlers in the 90s. Then you have Zalesky as you mentioned, on top of that you have Terry Brands.

I give up. This is crazy ridiculous looking at the past NCs from Iowa.

agreed. you can probably make a case for McD when/if he wins it again this year. oh, what could have been if not for that ASU wrestler.

that's a pretty good list. hard to argue too much with it. i think it's pretty accurate although i'd take scarpello off. what's crazy if you think about the guys not on this list terry brands, alger, McD (although he'll probably be added later) McGinnis, Ed banach etc, etc etc. it's wild.

I'd definitely have ironside on my list. I know he doesn't have three championships, but I would argue that Ironside's best years were the most dominating an individual hawkeye has been. Compare him to McD, McD has a better resume but every year there are guys at 125 that make us worry (Escobedo, Robles, Delago, Nico keeps him close) with Mcd. Ironside stepping on the mat, there was no threat in the weight class that could touch him.

Joe Williams
Tom Brands
Lincoln McIlravy
Mark Ironside
Matt McDonough
How can Eddy and Lou not be on the list? Eddy almost the first 4 time champ. Only loss was to a 3 time champ and Olympic gold medalist. Louie was probably the all time best heavyweight wrestler in NCAA history, losing only one NCAA match in three years(was sick for that match). Both won Olympic gold.

How can Eddy and Lou not be on the list? Eddy almost the first 4 time champ. Only loss was to a 3 time champ and Olympic gold medalist. Louie was probably the all time best heavyweight wrestler in NCAA history, losing only one NCAA match in three years(was sick for that match). Both won Olympic gold.
At the time I was going from memory and being only 30 it makes it difficult to compile a list as such.

Latest posts