Tommy Gaul

ICHawk24

10112014_iowafootballvsindiana108.jpg

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...eartwarming-tribute-fifth-year-walk/17264525/

IOWA CITY, Ia. – Seniors on the Iowa football team lead their teammates in the singing of the "Iowa Fight Song" in the locker room after victories.

On Saturday, Mark Weisman called Tommy Gaul front and center to take the lead role.

"Tommy deserved it, in every way," said Weisman, who scored two touchdowns in last week's 45-29 victory over Indiana at Kinnick Stadium. "I'm so proud of him. I can't say enough good things about him."

Gaul, a fifth-year senior and walk-on from Des Moines who had seen limited duty in three games during his career, entered the game on the first offensive series and went the distance.

"The locker room, after a win, is always great," said the former West Des Moines Dowling standout. "To be able to lead us in the fight song was a great experience."

That's a great pic. Receiving a 5 star rating from Rivals would not give you the same satisfaction as that walk-on had in the locker room after the game. Nice job Tommy and thanks for your dedication to the team.

Last edited:
Tremendous story. And the best part of that story (besides the whole Gaul part, obviously), was that it was Weisman who called him to the middle to lead the fight song.

Great story!!

I’m just gonna say it, I want Gaul at center and Blythe at guard the rest of the year.

This might be the better line. I just watched the replay of IU-Hawks first half and tommy gaul was totally handling that nose guard they use in sort of a 3-4 scheme.

I mean he was beating that guy off the snap, getting his head and reach across him and totally pushing him 4 or 5 yards to the side.

I was going to start a whole separate thread then I saw your post.

This might be the better line. I just watched the replay of IU-Hawks first half and tommy gaul was totally handling that nose guard they use in sort of a 3-4 scheme.

I mean he was beating that guy off the snap, getting his head and reach across him and totally pushing him 4 or 5 yards to the side.

I was going to start a whole separate thread then I saw your post.

Morehouse was saying on the radio that the coaches were pretty happy with that grouping. He gets the feeling they might try Gaul at center more.

Last edited: