Tom Davis Ques...

clipperstud75

Jon or anyone else, do you remember what Iowa fans were saying in 86 when he was hired? I know there weren't any message boards or blogs at that time, but he was 58-59 at Stanford. I was just curious

I was a 10 year old living in Iowa City at the time, and I remember being a bit disappointed at his Stanford record and wondering why we hired a .500 coach. I also wondered why a doctor decided to get into coaching.

However, after reading probably every word of every article in the PC and Register twice, I think there was a feeling he actually had some solid success at tough places to win (Stanford and Lafayette) and very good success at Boston College.

As people learned more about him, I recall there being some mild excitement for the entertaining style he supposedly played and a respect for his integrity.

Kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I remember Roy Marble was going to transfer to Cleveland St, but Mr. Davis talked him out of it. I think the coach at Cleveland St. may have been a Mr. Davis disciple, or something along those lines.

Yes. Lute told Tom that Iowa was a good job, and told Iowa that Tom was a good fit. At the time Tom was pretty well known out East, and what he did at Stanford was considered a great job for Stanford back in those days.

If I remember correctly under Mr. Davis Stanford didnt suck as bad as it did before. Not much of a recommendation. Mr. Davis did have a good tournament record and some success at BC.
Back then most fans wondered why Iowa hired a coach with that poor a record at Stanford and we were pessimistic that Iowa could be going in the dumper.

Latest posts