Tolzien has 7 TD passes and....

Tolzien was also missing his big game receivers for a few games..

...and has an amazing running game as a base.

To Whiskey's credit, they haven't needed to go vertical to score points. When you can run for 5.4 ypc and rush for 24 TD's after 7 games, you don't have to bomb away. But at the same time, note the following stats (B10+1+1) for comparison:

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
--------------------------------------------------------
2. Wisconsin........... 7 302 1629 5.4 24 232.7
7. Iowa................ 6 231 996 4.3 11 166.0
They run for over 1.1 ypc than we do, and have more than doubled our TD total. They are much more efficient running the ball than we are.

RUSHING DEFENSE G Rushes Yards Avg. TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Iowa................ 6 175 503 2.9 2 83.8
5. Wisconsin........... 7 225 804 3.6 3 114.9
Both teams have been effective against the run.

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Iowa................ 6 154 104 2 67.5 1519 9.9 14 253.2
9. Wisconsin........... 7 155 111 3 71.6 1408 9.1 7 201.1What is interesting to note here, is the remarkable similarities here, as well as one glaring difference. Because Whiskey is rushing the ball so effectively this year, they haven't thrown as often (note the extra game they have played), and average 50 ypg less than we do. The TD discrepancy is glaring as well. However, to say that we are more of a vertical passing team than they are, is a bit of a fallacy. When they throw, they throw for 9.1ypc, and we go for 9.9ypc (best in the B10+1+1), and they are completing over 70% of their passes. This tells me that play action is very effective and Tolzien is making good decisions.

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Wisconsin........... 7 190 107 5 56.3 1357 7.1 10 193.9
5. Iowa................ 6 208 121 9 58.2 1230 5.9 6 205.0I would expect efficient passing from both teams to continue, as both have been mediocre vs the pass. Our 58% completion percentage against is the 2nd worst since 2003 (as far back as I can find data for).

I believe both Gilreath and Toon missed multiple games. Gilreath has really good speed and Toon will probably be in the pros some day.

I think your point is still valid though. I've never seen Tolzien take a shot down the field. He could be the weak link in the deep passing game. From what I've seen, he's pretty accurate underneath though.

I don't buy Tolzien right now. When someone stops their run and he steps up, then I will buy him but right now, when teams cannot stop the run, his passing game becomes very vanilla. I don't know that anyone will completely stop their run this year so he could go the whole year without anyone noticing him and could actually be a very good QB.

Who and for how many games. And yes I stated about the running game.

David Gilreath was out from September 11th till last Saturday. Nick Toon was out from definitely September 17th till the MSU game, but may have been out for their September 11th game as well.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure I buy Tolzien at QB. If we can force him out of his comfort zone (tough, considering their OL), we can force him to make bad throws.

I don't buy Tolzien right now. When someone stops their run and he steps up, then I will buy him but right now, when teams cannot stop the run, his passing game becomes very vanilla. I don't know that anyone will completely stop their run this year so he could go the whole year without anyone noticing him and could actually be a very good QB.

It has happened ... but in those games he's passed a ton to the TE.

What I have yet to see is to see him being more versatile in how he distributes the ball. My impression is that if Iowa can slow the run and cover the Wisky TEs ... then the battle then is already half won.

Nick Toon missed the 9/11, 18 and 25th games.

He had a very good game versus tOSU (6 receptions, 72 yards, long of 20)

Everytime he caught the ball, the crowd would chant "Toooooooon"

He had 800+ yards receiving last year. He'll be a handfull Saturday.

First down for the Iowa D is going to key. If Wisky and Tolzein get into 3rd and 5, advantage Iowa. In these situations I look for the Hawks to bring more pressure...maybe a corner. Wisky will be expecting Iowa to play their base, no blitz defense and Tolzein will get rattled. Rattled Tolzein= bad throws=incompletions and punts or INTs.
Iowa on the other hand is balanced on Offense. Stack up to stop running game, Stanzi beats you. Play back and try to stop Iowa passing game and ARob 4 yard gains you down the field.
Wisky moves between the 20s, Iowa does not turn it over
Hawks by 13

Nick Toon missed the 9/11, 18 and 25th games.

He had a very good game versus tOSU (6 receptions, 72 yards, long of 20)

Everytime he caught the ball, the crowd would chant "Toooooooon"

He had 800+ yards receiving last year. He'll be a handfull Saturday.

True, but he also had a bad game against MSU (granted, it was his first game back).

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Latest posts