Thoughts on Purdue

HawkAssassin

Whenever there's a contrast in style the game is generally won by the team that dictates the style of play.

The key matchup in this game is Swanigan vs Uthoff. Swanigan likes to step outside, but that shouldn't bother Jarrod as he's used to guarding outside before. Swanigan is not used to guarding someone like Jarrod though. If Jarrod can hold his own on the glass this matchup looks promising for Iowa.

If Jarrod plays well it may force Purdue to go small which eases the pressure on our big men on the glass.

Woody needs to keep himself in the game or we'll be in trouble guarding Haas/Hammons.

It will be tough but we have a decent shot to win.

Nice matchup breakdown. I think it's going to come down to our ability to rebound and then see how the game is being called and deal with that. Purdue is diet MSU. Love to play the same defense where it's in your face and fouling. Just depends on how they call it. If we can keep it close and play good defense we could get a huge road win against a very good team which might end up being as big as a home win against MSU without their best player in some eyes (not in mine).

So Valentine is not their best player in your eyes? You may be the only one in the world with that view.

Iowa will win this won by about 10. Purdont can't keep up with Iowa's speed in transition. Iowa's guard play also is an advantage.

As Izzo said......We got punked! That's what the rest of the BIG is going to get....PUNKED! If these Hawks keep up the intensity and the fearlessness that they played with against msu we will prevail. Go Hawks!

Whenever there's a contrast in style the game is generally won by the team that dictates the style of play.

The key matchup in this game is Swanigan vs Uthoff. Swanigan likes to step outside, but that shouldn't bother Jarrod as he's used to guarding outside before. Swanigan is not used to guarding someone like Jarrod though. If Jarrod can hold his own on the glass this matchup looks promising for Iowa.

If Jarrod plays well it may force Purdue to go small which eases the pressure on our big men on the glass.

Woody needs to keep himself in the game or we'll be in trouble guarding Haas/Hammons.

It will be tough but we have a decent shot to win.

Purdue is unlike almost any other team in the country just due to their massive size. They are the best defensive team in the nation, according to Pomeroy's defensive efficiency rankings. It's next to impossible to score in close due to Haas, Hammons and Swanigan. And they have good perimeter defenders in Raphael Davis and Edwards.

I see no circumstance that Purdue will go small. Haas/Hammonds will be on the floor at all times, they just don't take them out of the game. I do agree that Uthoff is key. He has to score and have a good game. Gessell also needs to have a big game. Purdue's two PG's are pretty weak. Mike had a big game at Purdue last year, and he will have the opportunity to get the mid-range jumpers off pick and roll.

I think people underestimate how big of an upset this would be. Purdue is very, very hard to beat at home due to their size and the home calls. Team's won't get bailed out and put at the line like Wisconsin did in the game the other night. Wisconsin's guys played so hard and Purdue turned the ball over a ton. It still wasn't enough to beat the Boilers. This isn't 1990 UNLV Iowa is playing, but Iowa will need to find the 3-point shooting stroke and somehow not get dominated on the boards.

Purdue is a huge (no pun intended) matchup problem for everyone. I think Dodge had it right. We have to defend inside as best we can and try to rebound with them. Also shoot the light out from 3 and take care of the basketball. In other words play as well as we can. Tough to beat them at home, but I just hope we continue to play well and get more from our bench. We are going to need it down the road

This will likely be one of those "Live by the 3 die by the 3" games. If we shoot well from the perimeter and Purdue struggles from the perimeter...allowing us to play a lot of zone...we will be right there at the end. I agree with Dodger on how big of an upset this would be. We can win. I hope we win. But I'm picking Purdue. We have to make outside shots and keep Woodbury and Uthoff out of foul trouble to win IMO.

Nice matchup breakdown. I think it's going to come down to our ability to rebound and then see how the game is being called and deal with that. Purdue is diet MSU. Love to play the same defense where it's in your face and fouling. Just depends on how they call it. If we can keep it close and play good defense we could get a huge road win against a very good team which might end up being as big as a home win against MSU without their best player in some eyes (not in mine).

I think this is the best team we've played all year.

I don't like way we match up with them.

I don't like this matchup. Purdue's going to win and I don't think it will be all that close. Boilers by 10+

I'm not sure if they will to start the game, but I would bet that Rapheal Davis will guard Uthoff for the majority of this game.

I agree with some others... I don't like the matchup for the hawks.

It's going to be asking a lot of Woody to be able to both stay out of foul trouble and play a lot of minutes against a couple of the best bigs in the league as we really don't have a good 2nd option for our post D.

I don't think Uhl can effectively guard their bigs.

Purdue is unlike almost any other team in the country just due to their massive size. They are the best defensive team in the nation, according to Pomeroy's defensive efficiency rankings. It's next to impossible to score in close due to Haas, Hammons and Swanigan. And they have good perimeter defenders in Raphael Davis and Edwards.

I see no circumstance that Purdue will go small. Haas/Hammonds will be on the floor at all times, they just don't take them out of the game. I do agree that Uthoff is key. He has to score and have a good game. Gessell also needs to have a big game. Purdue's two PG's are pretty weak. Mike had a big game at Purdue last year, and he will have the opportunity to get the mid-range jumpers off pick and roll.

I think people underestimate how big of an upset this would be. Purdue is very, very hard to beat at home due to their size and the home calls. Team's won't get bailed out and put at the line like Wisconsin did in the game the other night. Wisconsin's guys played so hard and Purdue turned the ball over a ton. It still wasn't enough to beat the Boilers. This isn't 1990 UNLV Iowa is playing, but Iowa will need to find the 3-point shooting stroke and somehow not get dominated on the boards.

The idea that Haas/Hammonds are always on the court at the same time is untrue. In fact, they don't play together all that often. At least they haven't so far this year. Haas starts and normally plays around 16 minutes a game. Hammonds comes off the bench and plays around 21 minutes a game. You are going to get 20-30 minutes with only one of them on the court. I do agree that they will not go small. Swanigan actually leads them in minutes, and he will always have either Haas or Hammonds with him in the frontcourt. Purdue will be the best defensive team we will play all year, and quite possibly the best rebounding team we will play. They will grind-it out and play half court basketball. This would be an impressive win if Iowa can go to Purdue's home court and pull it off. They will need to shoot well and try to speed up Purdue. Which will not be easy. I am interested in how they defend Uthoff. I suspect it will be Rapheal Davis as he is the best perimeter player.

This team is built as if it is 1986 and Gene Keady was running things. I am with everyone else it is just a bad match up. They can go old school and do the inside out game and beat Iowa by 10 scoring 65 or less points

It's the B14 road - Purdue, no less - which means zero officiating breaks. Iowa can't let it become a physical game where refs are forced to call it one way or the other -- it'll be "the other".

Hawks' only "shot" is to shoot +40 f/3; have Uthoff drive to draw fouls on H & H and hope Woody doesn't become a liability (by missing bunnies and hacking H & H).

Purdue 80-Hawks 65. Boilers are the EXACT type of team that Iowa will not be able to hang with, this season.

Latest posts