Thoughts on OSU game

iowaboy85

1. We got away from running the ball after the first quarter when Adam Robinson was cleared to play. Coker in the first quarter was doing a fine job running the ball and we got away from that. If we could have been more consistent on running the ball, we would have had better opportunities in the passing game.

2. Safty play has been horrendous this year. In the cover 2 scheme our safties should not be getting beat so many times on the outside. that is just unacceptable. If TP had a good arm, we would have been blown out of this game. 3 long pass plays where their WR was wide open down the field that were not made.

3. Lack of effort in the fourth quarter by the whole team. There is absolutely no leadership on this team. Coaches or players.

4. 2 minute offense sucks. you cant throw 3 yard plays in the 2 minute and expect to score.

5. Special teams suck. Field goals, kickoff coverage, kickoffs, punt coverage, punt returns, etc.

This Iowa team probably had too much pre season love. But if we had any kind of leadership on this team, we dont lose to wisconsin or ohio state. We need some guys to step up next year as leaders. we had them in 09, should have had them this year with some many seniors. This season is filled with many coaching errors and players not executing in crunch time.

I will say that we dont need any coaching changes, but i will say the coaches need to reevaluate themselves this offseason. We should still win 9 games this season and its still a good year for our hawks, but is should have been much better. anyways Go Hawks beat minny and what ever sec team we face in the bowl. I still love you Iowa!

1. We got away from running the ball after the first quarter when Adam Robinson was cleared to play. Coker in the first quarter was doing a fine job running the ball and we got away from that. If we could have been more consistent on running the ball, we would have had better opportunities in the passing game.

2. Safty play has been horrendous this year. In the cover 2 scheme our safties should not be getting beat so many times on the outside. that is just unacceptable. If TP had a good arm, we would have been blown out of this game. 3 long pass plays where their WR was wide open down the field that were not made.

3. Lack of effort in the fourth quarter by the whole team. There is absolutely no leadership on this team. Coaches or players.

4. 2 minute offense sucks. you cant throw 3 yard plays in the 2 minute and expect to score.

5. Special teams suck. Field goals, kickoff coverage, kickoffs, punt coverage, punt returns, etc.

This Iowa team probably had too much pre season love. But if we had any kind of leadership on this team, we dont lose to wisconsin or ohio state. We need some guys to step up next year as leaders. we had them in 09, should have had them this year with some many seniors. This season is filled with many coaching errors and players not executing in crunch time.

I will say that we dont need any coaching changes, but i will say the coaches need to reevaluate themselves this offseason. We should still win 9 games this season and its still a good year for our hawks, but is should have been much better. anyways Go Hawks beat minny and what ever sec team we face in the bowl. I still love you Iowa!

I have a big problem with posts like this. Even in the midst of making a couple of correct points, it gets lost in the 'this sucks', 'that sucks', & accusing a team that absolutely lays it on the line - of playing with a lack of effort. We don't need fans like this, imo.

And, by the way...safety play has been fine all year. Borderline exceptional. And we don't play a cover 2 defense (or do so only once in a blue moon)...so when we get beat deep down the sidelines...it is almost ALWAYS the CB's fault.

I have purposefully stayed away from here, in hopes that I don't write anything I will regret later.
I believe if Iowa would have sent a safety blitz, when OSU had a 4th and 10 in the 4th. We'd be talking about how we stole one from OSU.
Other than that I guess I won't say anything more. We have got to beat Minnesota this weekend.
It won't be as easy as many think. Minny has had a week off to prepare for Iowa even though they shouldn't have to prepare much, because it's the same Iowa gameplan for the last 12 yrs. Just the names change is all.

I have a big problem with posts like this. Even in the midst of making a couple of correct points, it gets lost in the 'this sucks', 'that sucks', & accusing a team that absolutely lays it on the line - of playing with a lack of effort. We don't need fans like this, imo.

And, by the way...safety play has been fine all year. Borderline exceptional. And we don't play a cover 2 defense (or do so only once in a blue moon)...so when we get beat deep down the sidelines...it is almost ALWAYS the CB's fault.

To me, this is better than the original post.

Yes we do play a cover 2 shell zone. When the corners are trailing a streaking WR down the sidelines for 15 yards then passes them to the safety to cover, that is a cover 2. Our corners were trailing the WR to the end of their zones then passing them to the safety. Our safety's are continously getting beat deep. We may not always been in a 2 zone, but we play zone almost exclusively. as a safety in zone coverage you are the last line of defense, you cant get beat deep and we have been all year.

I agree with the Sarge - regardless of if their are valid points in the post, it is a BS post to begin with.

Yes we do play a cover 2 shell zone. When the corners are trailing a streaking WR down the sidelines for 15 yards then passes them to the safety to cover, that is a cover 2. Our corners were trailing the WR to the end of their zones then passing them to the safety. Our safety's are continously getting beat deep. We may not always been in a 2 zone, but we play zone almost exclusively. as a safety in zone coverage you are the last line of defense, you cant get beat deep and we have been all year.

We play quarters coverage, which is totallly different from cover 2.

Just stop.

This year I have often seen poor QB play, exhausted D-lineman, inexperienced linebackers, inconsistent cornerbacks, and poor coaching.
I have not noticed bad safety play. That isn't proof they have been perfect, but I have openly critized and seen evidence for all of the above, but I believe our safeties have executed as coached and done a very good job all year long.

I will leave the details to Kirk and his very capable staff. There would be very few years that this would not seem like a good season.

Having said that, I would like to see the Hawks play to win rather than not to lose, especially in these big games. Last year in Columbus we had tOSU on their heels and we chose to take a knee and let them regroup for OT. It was the same with Wiscy and tOSU this year. Just don't lose on a mistake because we were "going fot it."

Go for it already!! Take the beat down to them them instead of waiting for them to serve it up to us!

Okay, why are the safeties getting beat down field? in quarters the safeties still have deep coverage.

In our base quarters coverage, Sash & Gwood have deep coverage in the middle of the field. the corners have deep responsibility for the sideline.

For example, one of the only times I remember our safeties getting beat deep this year was when Sash bit on play-action late in the game against AZ.

However, when Hyde got beat on the double-move against Michigan (50-yd TD pass) OR when the ball was later thrown up on Praters side...neither of those were the safeties coverage.

I will say that Posey's deep drop was in my corner of the field & Prater yelled something at Sash, making me think that MAY not of been Prater's cover on that particular call...but in quarters coverage, it would be.

In our base quarters coverage, Sash & Gwood have deep coverage in the middle of the field. the corners have deep responsibility for the sideline.

For example, one of the only times I remember our safeties getting beat deep this year was when Sash bit on play-action late in the game against AZ.

However, when Hyde got beat on the double-move against Michigan (50-yd TD pass) OR when the ball was later thrown up on Praters side...neither of those were the safeties coverage.

I will say that Posey's deep drop was in my corner of the field & Prater yelled something at Sash, making me think that MAY not of been Prater's cover on that particular call...but in quarters coverage, it would be.

Ok, then what happened on the play where Hyde had the one handed interception. what happened to the safety there? that was deep middle. Or how about the pass break up on the deep seam route that was badly underthrown and our Safty wrapped his arm around the head of the WR? that should have been a TD if TP could make a decent deep throw.

Ok, then what happened on the play where Hyde had the one handed interception. what happened to the safety there? that was deep middle. Or how about the pass break up on the deep seam route that was badly underthrown and our Safty wrapped his arm around the head of the WR? that should have been a TD if TP could make a decent deep throw.

I'm not sure I understand.

You're referencing a play where Sash is one of two of our d-backs that are making a play on the ball (either one could have made the pick, but they get in each other's way) - deflecting it to a 3rd DB - which makes the pick in saying that our safeties are playing poorly?

On the second one, Sash got beat, simple as that, but the receiver bobbled the ball. I'll take everyone's word for it that he grabbed the facemask (other's have said the grabbed the inside of the helmet) & that there could have been a penalty. I don't know. Greenwood got beat on the dropped ball against IU. He also got beat last week against NU, but that was a very tough cover & a perfectly thrown ball...

what I do know, is that very rarely this year has it been our safeties getting beat in coverage. It's almost ALWAYS been the LB's & corners -- and even then -- it's somewhat the scheme allowing underneath completions rather than an indictment of the players...

You're flat out wrong on this. IA has played much, much more cover 2 and cover 3 this season than quarters coverage, and Sash has been beaten repeatedly, mostly b/c he jumps a shorter route or bites on a PA fake just like he did Sat. night leaving Posey WIDE OPEN. The reason Prater and Greenwood look as if they're the ones getting beat is b/c they recognize the WR is open and start chasing to try to make up for Sash's mistake. IA also played a fair amount of man Sat., more so than I can recall and I think they should've likely played more man last wk against NW who didn't have the athletic pass catchers that OSU has. Also, Greenwood very seldom if ever is beaten deep in zone coverage. He'll get beat in man, but he's very seldom locked on 1:1 in man. Greenwood's play used to drive me crazy b/c he'd get to WR's as soon as the ball was arriving, often not hitting the WR hard enough to dislodge the ball. The past 2-3 seasons he's really upped his game and it's very seldom you see him not in proper position. (And on the dropped pass against IU Greenwood was positioned properly - they were in cover 2 and Greenwood split the 2 IU deep WR's - 1 was down the middle and 1 up the sideline and he broke when the QB threw the ball, just as he should've. The fact is IA likely should've been in cover 3 on that play, not cover 2.)

I'm not sure I understand.

You're referencing a play where Sash is one of two of our d-backs that are making a play on the ball (either one could have made the pick, but they get in each other's way) - deflecting it to a 3rd DB - which makes the pick in saying that our safeties are playing poorly?

On the second one, Sash got beat, simple as that, but the receiver bobbled the ball. I'll take everyone's word for it that he grabbed the facemask (other's have said the grabbed the inside of the helmet) & that there could have been a penalty. I don't know. Greenwood got beat on the dropped ball against IU. He also got beat last week against NU, but that was a very tough cover & a perfectly thrown ball...

what I do know, is that very rarely this year has it been our safeties getting beat in coverage. It's almost ALWAYS been the LB's & corners -- and even then -- it's somewhat the scheme allowing underneath completions rather than an indictment of the players...

If you watch that play over again, sash was at least 15 yards out of position. the only reason he was able to make a play on that, or any of our dbs were there, was because pryor can not throw a decent deep ball. any other qb in the league thats an easy 6 points.

Our CB play has been especially atrocious this year. If I were an opposing OC I'd throw on Hyde and Prater all day long. Hell, I'd probably only run the ball half a dozen times, if only to give the RB a break from pass blocking. Of course I might run more in the second half because I'd be up by 4 touchdowns after torching Iowa's CBs.

What the hell ever happened to Bernstine? Wasn't he supposed to be some kind of stud at CB?

You're flat out wrong on this. IA has played much, much more cover 2 and cover 3 this season than quarters coverage, and Sash has been beaten repeatedly, mostly b/c he jumps a shorter route or bites on a PA fake just like he did Sat. night leaving Posey WIDE OPEN. The reason Prater and Greenwood look as if they're the ones getting beat is b/c they recognize the WR is open and start chasing to try to make up for Sash's mistake. IA also played a fair amount of man Sat., more so than I can recall and I think they should've likely played more man last wk against NW who didn't have the athletic pass catchers that OSU has. Also, Greenwood very seldom if ever is beaten deep in zone coverage. He'll get beat in man, but he's very seldom locked on 1:1 in man. Greenwood's play used to drive me crazy b/c he'd get to WR's as soon as the ball was arriving, often not hitting the WR hard enough to dislodge the ball. The past 2-3 seasons he's really upped his game and it's very seldom you see him not in proper position. (And on the dropped pass against IU Greenwood was positioned properly - they were in cover 2 and Greenwood split the 2 IU deep WR's - 1 was down the middle and 1 up the sideline and he broke when the QB threw the ball, just as he should've. The fact is IA likely should've been in cover 3 on that play, not cover 2.)

In watching this year, I will grant you that we have played a fair amount of what I recognize as cover 3 but have rarely, if ever, played cover 2.

There's no way to really settle it. But I suspect we've been in quarters base at least 80% of the time this year....with some add'l cover 3 sprinkled in against teams that are bigger threats in the running game.

Cover 3, cover 2, quarters, does it really matter? It looks like mass confusion at times back there, and I'm certain all DBs and LBs have been responsible at one point or another. It makes me wonder how truly valuable guys like Edds and Angerer were in keeping the D organized and motivated???

In watching this year, I will grant you that we have played a fair amount of what I recognize as cover 3 but have rarely, if ever, played cover 2.

There's no way to really settle it. But I suspect we've been in quarters base at least 80% of the time this year....with some add'l cover 3 sprinkled in against teams that are bigger threats in the running game.

Sorry, but you're just wrong. I'm almost 100% certain they play cover 2 more than any other scheme. And there's an easy way to settle it - watch the games and pay attention to DB play. If the CB's are in the flats (under ~15 yds) it's cover 2, and if Sash is in a flat it's most often cover 3 (Hyde and Prater outside 1/3's and Greenwood middle 1/3). Greenwood is pretty much always either deep 1/2 or deep middle 1/3, which is why you don't hear much about him making many tackles. (The other reason you hear so little about Greenwood is b/c he's almost always in his proper zone and doesn't blow coverages.) IA almost always plays 2 deep, 5 under or 3 deep, 4 under. The thing is the CB's often play deeper in their flat coverages, so they give up the under stuff much of the game.

Think about it schematically - if they were always in quarters coverage, that would be only the 3 LB's underneath. Any pass D scheme designed in that manner is destined to fail (unless it's a Hail Mary situation). And in cover 2 the CB's may run deeper w/ WR's, but that's just dropping into coverage in their deeper flat zones (up to ~15 yds), not playing a deep 1/4. DB's are also trained to react and run to the ball as soon as it's in the air, so on any deep throws they'll be moving and if the ball hangs up long enough they'll chase it to make it look like they're in different coverages - think the late dropped OSU deep ball Sat. Greenwood and Prater end up about as close to Posey as Sash did, who should've been in that coverage.

Latest posts