Thome hits 600

Is he a HOF'er or not? I think he gets in, but it will be for all the wrong reasons. Writers especially the old school ones will strictly put him in there because he has been perceived to have done it cleanly.

Um, so voting someone in BECAUSE he hit 600 home runs is a wrong reason? Nuts, says I. Jim Thome is a first ballot HOFer without question.

He will likely end up #6 all time on homer list,with steroid guys like Bonds and ARod ahead of him...so yea,he is first ballot HOF just like Frank Thomas,another clean slugger. Real all time homer list should be:
1. Hammering Hank
2 Babe
3 Willie
4 Frank Robinson
5 Junior Griffey
6 Big Jim Thome

Nice company,Jimbo...congrats! And way to help out the Sox by beating the Tigers in the process.

600? That's a lot of ****in home runs. I like Thome. Saw him close up in SF in the on deck circle, his calves are the size of my waist.

Happy for Thome as he is one of the nice guys in sports. Was hoping I would get to see it happen as 4 of us are heading to Target Field on Friday night for Twins/Yankees.

Um, so voting someone in BECAUSE he hit 600 home runs is a wrong reason? Nuts, says I. Jim Thome is a first ballot HOFer without question.

Your missing my point. He is a definitely HOF'er because of the 600 homers. The number is such a big number and he did it clean that will be the only thing writers will look at they will not look at anything else.

I guess what I am saying is that he is a HOF'er, but I understand those that say wait lets look at his whole career. When I was a kid that number was huge the steroid era has eff'd everything up for me, it complicates things.

Your missing my point. He is a definitely HOF'er because of the 600 homers. The number is such a big number and he did it clean that will be the only thing writers will look at they will not look at anything else.

I guess what I am saying is that he is a HOF'er, but I understand those that say wait lets look at his whole career. When I was a kid that number was huge the steroid era has eff'd everything up for me, it complicates things.

I guess the thing is - has Thome every really actually been implicated with anything PED-related? Not that I've ever heard. Can't really indict the guy just because he happened to play in the same era.

Was he REALLY clean? Impossible to say. I never thought Rafael Palmeiro was a roid user until he got busted.. but again, Thome has never been implicated (unless it come at and I just didn't hear about it). So you have to give him the benefit of the doubt until something comes out. Still waiting for that.

Sad part is, I think all of the cheaters are ruining things for guys that who have done it cleanly.. Someone like Fred McGriff and nearly 500 HR's would have been a HOF lock 20 years ago, but due to the era he played in, it doesn't seem like he's getting any consideration.

But 600 HR's should be enough to get Thome into the hall IMO.

Thome is definately a HOFer, but there is no chance he gets in first ballot. If for no other reason than dumb luck, Jim played during the steroid era, and that fact reduces the value of the 600 home runs.

In the first 100 years of the recognized existence of major-league baseball (starting in 1869), one player, Babe Ruth, reached 600 homers. In the following 33 seasons, from 1969 through 2001, only two others made it, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron – and after Aaron in 1971, there were none for 30 years.
So, three 600-homer players, all legends, in 133 years.
Since the start of the 2002 season? Five (including Thome).

Right or wrong, the cheaters in Thome's era have lessened his accomplishments. Good guys like Frank Thomas and Thome will get in, but will have to wait a year or two to do it.

Latest posts