This Season's Expectations vis-a-vis Lick's Future

I know it was abysmal, but did we really expect this season was going to be any different?

I knew going into this season my beloved Hawks were gonna be bad. It's therefore somewhat surprising to me that Lick's getting canned now ... I don't think this team missed a reasonable expectation level by all that much. Granted, you could fire him for the fact that reasonable expectations were so low, this is his third year, and this is as low as I can ever recall the Hawkeye basektball program being. But ...

Arguably, Coach Lick's about to turn a corner, as he has a recruiting class coming in that is thought to be promising. An argument can be made that Alford left/was pushed out just as he was about to turn a corner, with Noodles on the bench helping get recruiting on an upswing and Alford maturing as a coach. (I've heard some national pundits make that very argument).

That begs the question: are we doing that again? Now, if there was a player mutiny and more defections coming, that presents a different scenario. Somehow, I doubt we ever get the full story on that.

My personal opinion also tends to lean to the conclusion that the present staff, as currently constituted, will not recruit at the level necessary to get Hawkeye Basketball back to the level to which we became accustomed in the Raveling/Davis years ...

I did not agree with the SA ultimatum because as recently as the year before we had a #3 seed in the Dance, the best seed in the dance for 20 years? I also liked what we had developing on the recruiting front with Tyler Smith in house,and Hamga committed and Liggins,Jackson,and Negedu all real possibilities.
I honestly do not think that Barta thought that SA would jump. But he did.
Now that said, SA had shown that he could win in the Big Ten with a 4th,6th,2nd and 4th finish in the league his last 4 years.
Lick,on the other hand, has not shown he can win at the Big Ten level. Not even close. If he had gotten to .500 in year 3...fine. But there was really not a single positive aspect to his program while at Iowa....not a one...cept possibly that we only had one real academic and behavior issue in 3 years...Bohall notwithstanding. Just not enough signs of ultimate success for most fans.

Latest posts