This may have been the worst game by an Iowa quarterback in my lifetime...and I'm 60

SWIowaHawkeye

Seriously...good guy. Horrible footballer. He does the absolute best he can, but that is so bad that it will not work at all-simply not cut out for the college game. He missed so many open receivers tonight that it was mind-boggling. I don't know what it takes for this staff to make a change, but this was the worst QB performance I have seen since Jake C a few years back.

I live in SW Iowa and have a chance to watch a good JC QB play at Iowa Western. He is head and shoulders above vbueg.

So...leaves the question. Are our others so deficient that this is better? I find that hard to believe. And what better time to find out if someone has chops than down a bit and playing against and 2nd and 3rd team defense (against whom we could still not move the ball).

Kirk is making it very hard to be patient.

Re: This may have been the worst game by an Iowa quarterback in my lifetime...and I'm

Rudock is our only other option at this point, rumor has it he's not ready or not as good as jvb, but I say who gives a ****. I just want to see a change at this point. Try something, anything and if Rudock truly is not ready we can all see it for our own eyes... but imagines if Rudock comes in and lights it up, KF's gonna look really fnn dumb.... again.

I think KF is the most stubborn pig headed ******* of a coach in college football, there's no reason not one to try the backup qb just to see what might happen. It couldn't possibly be a lot worse, I sincerely feel he won't do it is because the fans want him too.

Re: This may have been the worst game by an Iowa quarterback in my lifetime...and I'm

I'm a man,I'm 40!

Rudock is our only other option at this point, rumor has it he's not ready or not as good as jvb, but I say who gives a ****. I just want to see a change at this point. Try something, anything and if Rudock truly is not ready we can all see it for our own eyes... but imagines if Rudock comes in and lights it up, KF's gonna look really fnn dumb.... again.

I think KF is the most stubborn pig headed ******* of a coach in college football, there's no reason not one to try the backup qb just to see what might happen. It couldn't possibly be a lot worse, I sincerely feel he won't do it is because the fans want him too.

He may not be as good of a practice player when they are running 7 on 7 drills, but he isn't worse. I would bet that most D1 schools have at least 2 QBs on their team that would be more effective than JVB. Maybe Rudock is a gamer like Stanzi was, there is only one way to find out and it isn't what we are doing.

He may not be as good of a practice player when they are running 7 on 7 drills, but he isn't worse. I would bet that most D1 schools have at least 2 QBs on their team that would be more effective than JVB. Maybe Rudock is a gamer like Stanzi was, there is only one way to find out and it isn't what we are doing.

The only way we would find out is currently employed down in miami

The only way we would find out is currently employed down in miami

Was that the story with the Jake/Stanzi thing? I seem to remember there was a rift, but was it OKeefe wanting Stanzi and Kurt wanting to stick it out with Jake?

To the OP: I am beginning to wonder what that IWCC staff could do at a higher level...

Was that the story with the Jake/Stanzi thing? I seem to remember there was a rift, but was it OKeefe wanting Stanzi and Kurt wanting to stick it out with Jake?

Correct. I never railed against KOK. I didn't always agree with his playcalling, but nobody agrees with every call. Overall, I thought he was actually pretty good. He got to show his chops in 2002 and 2004 (when he had to get really creative just to put out a respectable unit).

KOK was on a leash. Ferentz is where the blame ultimately lies here.

Correct. I never railed against KOK. I didn't always agree with his playcalling, but nobody agrees with every call. Overall, I thought he was actually pretty good. He got to show his chops in 2002 and 2004 (when he had to get really creative just to put out a respectable unit).

KOK was on a leash. Ferentz is where the blame ultimately lies here.

And now he has an old blind dog that just lays around all day.

To the OP: I am beginning to wonder what that IWCC staff could do at a higher level...

Seeing someone win like Stroh has in the limited time he has been there has turned my head. He will be in a bigger college job soon and I assure you his coaching will beat Iowa's *** at some point.

JVB was a decent QB last year. And suddenly this year he is one of the worst in the country. I think the culprit is Greg Davis. JVB had over 3000 yards last year and this year he is going to barely break 2000 and probably not even get two digits worth of TD's!

Just like when Stanzi came in. Sure Jake Christensen had a better skill set, but Stanzi was just had the intangibles...

Let me post some worse games from Iowa QB's just to refresh your memory...

Stanzi vs Iowa State 2008

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Stanzi5/14956.802

Jake Christensen vs. ISU 2007

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Christensen12/231185.100

Remember Charles Manson coming in for an injured Tate vs ISU? Hopefully not...

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Manson10/311173.80

Ahhh the winnner. Tate vs. Arizona State in 2004. With a straight face tell me you think Jake did worse then this stinker.

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Tate8/19442.301

Here is his JVB's stat line by the way:

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Vandenberg17/361895.312

I'm not "Team Jake" he is absolutely in my mind Christensen 2.0 but now he's not even throwing TD's. I would simply argue (and this is just from the last 8 years or so) that there have been much worse performances.

BOOOOOOO!!! The kid SUCKS! For crying out LOUD, replace him with Mr. ED and you will get more yards...
mr-ed.jpg

Time for a change.

JVB was a decent QB last year. And suddenly this year he is one of the worst in the country. I think the culprit is Greg Davis. JVB had over 3000 yards last year and this year he is going to barely break 2000 and probably not even get two digits worth of TD's!

I would agree with you, if it were not for the obvious fact that JVB missing some many open receivers that we should be undefeated right now. EVERY game he missed numerous open receivers. EVERY game there is a missed receiver that would have broke one for a TD.

This is not all on Greg Davis.

A lot of offensive weapons lost from last year as well. Like actual offensive weapons, not pretend ones like Keenan Ivory Davis.

Let me post some worse games from Iowa QB's just to refresh your memory...

Stanzi vs Iowa State 2008

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Stanzi5/14956.802

Jake Christensen vs. ISU 2007

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Christensen12/231185.100

Remember Charles Manson coming in for an injured Tate vs ISU? Hopefully not...

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Manson10/311173.80

Ahhh the winnner. Tate vs. Arizona State in 2004. With a straight face tell me you think Jake did worse then this stinker.

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Tate8/19442.301

Here is his JVB's stat line by the way:

IowaC/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Vandenberg17/361895.312

I'm not "Team Jake" he is absolutely in my mind Christensen 2.0 but now he's not even throwing TD's. I would simply argue (and this is just from the last 8 years or so) that there have been much worse performances.

Okay. I think you mean "Team James," and I don't think numbers alone necessarily refute a statement like the OP's. I don't recall what our receivers looked like in those above games, but there were seven or eight occasions last night where JVB just flat-out missed open guys for first downs. Now, when your defense is getting shredded like we were last night, you aren't going to turn any momentum unless you can move the chains.

I think in the first quarter, KMM got open from the left slot and JVB just flat-out air-mailed him. There were at least three instances where receivers made breaks out of option reads, JVB made a good read to find them, but he misfired. Not even close.

Fact of the matter is, he's not very accurate. Period. I happen to think accuracy is the most important [physical/performance] attribute a QB needs. McGloin was VERY accurate last night. I didn't think our coverage was categorically bad last night. It wasn't great, but if anybody has enough willingness to vomit and re-watches that game, just look at some of McGloin's throws.

Sometimes, stats don't tell the whole story, it's a 'you-know-it-when-you-see-it' sort of thing. Also, even if you genuinely think, and even if we were to assume, that the performances you listed were objectively worse than JVB last night, you've listed three sophomore first-time starters there (early in their seasons), and a backup. One of those sophomores is universally regarded as KF's worst QB, and his line there is roughly commensurate with JVB's from last night. I have no reason to think JVB shouldn't still start, but why couldn't we get Rudock one series last night?!? I actually was glad Kirk left JVB in after the fourth-down sack, but pull the kid after his TD pass to Keenan. Let him go out on a high note, and give Rudock the six snaps at the end; Rudock would gain more marginal benefit from them, I believe.

Latest posts