This is the time great coaches show why

longtimer

the loss of Nunge really hurts. For the Kid first as he has had too many bad things happen and it will be tough for him to recover again. Also for the team as we just don't have anyone to step up to take his place. Clearly the freshman big man is not ready. Murray is really playing well but he and the young McCaffrey are probably not going to be able to defend the post like Nunge and Garza can't do it all
McCaffrey is going to maybe have to adjust the style, tempo and or lineup to utilize the talent that he has. I look back to what Ralph Miller did with Sam Williams and winning a championship with 65 points a game and then with John Johnson and Fred Brown and winning with 100 points a game. That's coaching

To be honest I don't think McCaffrey is at that level as a coach but this will be interesting to see if he can adjust for the adversity. Will also be interesting to see if he can beat a top tier team. So far Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan are a no

the loss of Nunge really hurts. For the Kid first as he has had too many bad things happen and it will be tough for him to recover again. Also for the team as we just don't have anyone to step up to take his place. Clearly the freshman big man is not ready. Murray is really playing well but he and the young McCaffrey are probably not going to be able to defend the post like Nunge and Garza can't do it all
McCaffrey is going to maybe have to adjust the style, tempo and or lineup to utilize the talent that he has. I look back to what Ralph Miller did with Sam Williams and winning a championship with 65 points a game and then with John Johnson and Fred Brown and winning with 100 points a game. That's coaching

To be honest I don't think McCaffrey is at that level as a coach but this will be interesting to see if he can adjust for the adversity. Will also be interesting to see if he can beat a top tier team. So far Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan are a no
Clearly we will have to go with smaller lineups off the bench. We will probably see more of Ulis and Perkins.

I'd like to see more of Kris Murray. It may be time to throw him in there for regular rotation minutes and see what he can do.

I think McCaffrey is not a very good coach. I don't see adjustments being made during games and doesn't use timeouts effectively to regroup or refocus the team. Best example of McCaffrey seeming a bit lackadaisical with in game coaching, which is glaring, a game a few weeks ago at the end of the half with the shot clock off for the last shot, the team is all standing around while Bohannon just kind of dribbled around and didn't even get a shot off. I mean this was not even an ISO play. Its difficult to fathom a coach at any level yet alone Division 1 not having a specific play in that type of situation.

This is going to come out of left field and is old school but even though Mr. Davis Davis had his issues (1987 UNLV) with in game coaching, he had a great sense of control as to how the team played on the court. Yeah I know I am old school and long for a time when Iowa basketball was truly in one of its most exciting era's.

Last edited:
How about all of us old coots volunteering to spell garza for 5 seconds. I'm 57 years 5'7" tall and My heart is bigger than the stae of Iowa. I know There is 100 or more of us old coots can drive them Bucktooths crazy with Fran swapping us old coots in and out every 5 seconds. I volunteer for mop duty aginst Bucktooths.

Clearly we will have to go with smaller lineups off the bench. We will probably see more of Ulis and Perkins.

I'd like to see more of Kris Murray. It may be time to throw him in there for regular rotation minutes and see what he can do.
I was going to suggest Kris as well. It’s my understanding he’s more physical than his brother. Perkins and Ulis have been the next man up at their position. Kris can spell guys as needed and use those 5 fouls against the 50% FT shooters.

How about all of us old coots volunteering to spell garza for 5 seconds. I'm 57 years 5'7" tall and My heart is bigger than the stae of Iowa. I know There is 100 or more of us old coots can drive them Bucktooths crazy with Fran swapping us old coots in and out every 5 seconds. I volunteer for mop duty aginst Bucktooths.
I dont have any eligibility left, so count me out.

I dont have any eligibility left, so count me out.

It's a covid year ... does that really matter?
Suit up, Sioux!!

What I wouldn't give ... in my mind ;-)
Of course, my knees and hips would say otherwise. Not to mention, 1 time up and down and my heart would explode! :-0
Glory days.

How creative can a head coach get in a must win situation? If your team is hanging with the opponent you go along as you can with what got you this far. At some point in the game your team begins to fade. What are you going to do? If 3 pointers by the opponent are the issue what can you do? How do you take away 3 point attempts by the opponent? You have a lot of fouls to give sitting on the bench and if you know the weakest FT shooters of your opponent is there a strategy there? Do you take a player off the bench to be a designated fouler on the weakest FT shooters? Are you then able to constantly sub defense for offense after every foul?

Your opponent cannot make 3's if they are shooting 2 free throws. The opponent coach may have to yank bad FT shooters for his better FT shooter on the bench. In the end the coach will be the goat or the hero with attempting to be creative.

As they Say! Starts at Top. Balls in Coach'Hands. Then the Players. Hawks can win. Go Hawks....

Fran will go with what got the team to this point in the season. Probably try to get the ball into Garza as much as possible, get Weisy and CJ scoring from deep. We definitely need Murry to step up. As far as someone else off the bench coming in to pick up the slack, I don't see it. Joe T, Ullis, Perkins, whoever else has shown they can come in and hold their defensively but offensively they haven't shown much. We are who we are. That being said, Patty Mac might be the guy who could give you scoring off the bench.

As the old saying goes defense wins championships. Its to late for this team, but maybe Fran should emphasize defense over scoring at some point.

I think we should give Ogundely 4 or 5 minutes a game to give Garza a break and give him some experience...
You have seen him play right? He is clearly overweight by about 30 pounds and has no idea what he's doing out there yet. He would cost us any game he played in for more than a minute. Playing Perkins or Pat at the center position would be a better option right now than him.

So you are grading his game strictly on his appearance? Nobody knows what he can bring. He is big and tall, can rebound and play D for a short period.
No, his assessment is accurate. He's looked lost when he's out there. Imagine him trying to play a pick and roll. His time will come, but now is not it.

I would have thought so too and yet Fran shortened the bench to 8 and we didn't see any of these guys. Thankfully JT played well and CJ was good to play a bunch. So I bet the shorter bench is probably going to be how Fran plays things down the stretch..

Latest posts