This bowl season exposes the BCS (again)

SDK46

How so?

TCU deserves a chance at #1. But, because of two biased-human polls, and one-half-baked computer poll, they don't get the chance. Auburn got left out in 2004 as well. I'm also 100% convinced Iowa would have been left out last year had we gone 12-0.

NCAA farms out it's most precious resource, the bowl games, to selection committees, and chambers of commerce. Then the BCS makes the participating teams eat any unsold tickets, which...

....was pretty evident was commonplace this year if you looked at the empty seats at the minor to moderate bowls (Insight doesn't count because of the large number of Iowans in Arizona)....yet....

....BCS encourages bowl proliferation (#35 and counting), and, squeezed four Big-10 games on TV at nearly the same time.

Last edited:
Agreed. It sure seems like the Wisky-TCU and Ore-Aub games should be semifinal games.

TCU deserves one more game to win a title. A Plus One makes sense.

Probably not gonna happen.

Disagree! Yes, TCU could beat anyone on any given day, but they would not have even been in a BCS game if they were in the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, or Pac Ten. They wouldn't have qualified.

They have good players and when you have time to prepare for one game it is much easier to play. If they would of went through entire BCS conference season and had 0 or 1 loss then yes, but they played what, two tough games all year, OSU who ended up not doing very well and it was a close game, and Wisky which was also close and in both games they had plenty of time to prepare.

I am for a playoff system but you are still going to have a tough time because teams will get left out of that, I mean who is to say this year which Big 10 teams get into a playoff because you know not all 3 11-1 teams would have. So you would have a whole nother debate there.

And I don't think TCU could win a playoff having to beat 2-3 BCS teams in consecutive weeks, not happening.

Disagree! Yes, TCU could beat anyone on any given day, but they would not have even been in a BCS game if they were in the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, or Pac Ten. They wouldn't have qualified.

They have good players and when you have time to prepare for one game it is much easier to play. If they would of went through entire BCS conference season and had 0 or 1 loss then yes, but they played what, two tough games all year, OSU who ended up not doing very well and it was a close game, and Wisky which was also close and in both games they had plenty of time to prepare.

I am for a playoff system but you are still going to have a tough time because teams will get left out of that, I mean who is to say this year which Big 10 teams get into a playoff because you know not all 3 11-1 teams would have. So you would have a whole nother debate there.

And I don't think TCU could win a playoff having to beat 2-3 BCS teams in consecutive weeks, not happening.

good post! +1

On what do you base these claims? TCU is undefeated and just beat a (once-beaten) B10 champ. How would they fail to qualify if they're in the B10? What aspects of their Rose Bowl performance leave you convinced that they couldn't beat the likes of Oregon, Auburn, OU, fO$U, etc?
Serious questions, not flaming you. I just think your contentions are off base.

On what do you base these claims? TCU is undefeated and just beat a (once-beaten) B10 champ. How would they fail to qualify if they're in the B10? What aspects of their Rose Bowl performance leave you convinced that they couldn't beat the likes of Oregon, Auburn, OU, fO$U, etc?

He's saying if TCU played a BCS schedule they would not be playing in a BCS game because they would likely have a few losses. considering one of their biggest "quaility wins" on their resume this year is against baylor, the point stands to reason.

obviously TCU recognizes this and has taken the necessary steps by joining a BCS conference.

therefore if they are able to run the table in the future, there ill be no doubt that they deserve to play in the NC

Last edited:

He's using the same argument that people always used against Boise State.

Wisconsin had little pass game today. If TCU played a team with that is well balanced they would have had a tough time. I think TCU is capable of beating anyone I just don't think they could do it every week against a BCS conference schedule. Heck, I think they would have won the Big East this year and went to the BCS Bowl but they wouldn't have gone through the Big East undefeated. Auburn and Oregon were the only undefeated BCS teams this year and they are on an entirely different level than TCU, TCU I am 100 percent positive TCU couldn't have went undefeated in the Pac 10 or SEC and would have had at least 2 lossed in the Big 10 and Big 12 too.

He's using the same argument that people always used against Boise State.

this.

I initially didnt like the argument, but over time it just seemed to make more sense.

to me it's like allowing a kid that took 120 credit hours of 100 level college courses to get the same degree as a guy that had to complete the regular curriculum. it isn't an equal playing field, so why should the reward be equal?

this.

I initially didnt like the argument, but over time it just seemed to make more sense.

to me it's like allowing a kid that took 120 credit hours of 100 level college courses to get the same degree as a guy that had to complete the regular curriculum. it isn't an equal playing field, so why should the reward be equal?

Not saying I agree with it. TCU and Boise have both proven over the last 3-4 years that non AQ teams can play with anyone in the country.

He's saying if TCU played a BCS schedule they would not be playing in a BCS game because they would likely have a few losses. considering one of their biggest "quaility wins" on their resume this year is against baylor, the point stands to reason.

obviously TCU recognizes this and has taken the necessary steps by joining a BCS conference.

therefore if they are able to run the table in the future, there ill be no doubt that they deserve to play in the NC

Ludicrous. After what we saw today, tell me how TCU doesn't have a legitimate shot to go undefeated in the Big 10 or Pac 10. Wisconsin hadn't been held under 30 since October 2, and put up 70, 48, and 83 in the last three games. TCU held them to 19. Michigan State was exposed, Michigan was terrible, Northwestern would've given up 40 to TCU, and Penn State turned the ball over like they have all year. I'd love to see Ohio State play TCU, but hard to argue that the Buckeyes are clearly better. We all know what Iowa brought to the table this year. TCU is capable of beating all of those teams-- it doesn't mean they would have, but they'd have had as good a shot as anyone.

The BCS is a fraud, and if TCU's win and the joke that was the Fiesta Bowl brought it closer to destruction, I'll be happy.

TCU deserves a chance at the crown.

NO different than a "lesser" team getting to the final four in men's BB...except...in men's BB, teams are allowed to compete on the court for that chance.

Ludicrous. After what we saw today, tell me how TCU doesn't have a legitimate shot to go undefeated in the Big 10 or Pac 10. Wisconsin hadn't been held under 30 since October 2, and put up 70, 48, and 83 in the last three games. TCU held them to 19. Michigan State was exposed, Michigan was terrible, Northwestern would've given up 40 to TCU, and Penn State turned the ball over like they have all year. I'd love to see Ohio State play TCU, but hard to argue that the Buckeyes are clearly better. We all know what Iowa brought to the table this year. TCU is capable of beating all of those teams-- it doesn't mean they would have, but they'd have had as good a shot as anyone.

The BCS is a fraud, and if TCU's win and the joke that was the Fiesta Bowl brought it closer to destruction, I'll be happy.

It's a completely different story when you have a month to prepare for one team. given that amount of time to break down film, scheme, and game plan against the opposition, any team is able to put itself in a much better position to win then if they only had a week to prepare.

the grind of playing in the big XII, ten, SEC, pac 10, etc. and having to game plan week after week against very strong opposition, is night and day compared to the MWC.

and who's to say that wisconsin was all that great of a team anyway? yea they went 11-1, but as we saw yesterday maybe the big ten isn't all that it was cracked up to be?

You are right, you just made my argument for me. Iowa was capable of beating all those teams too and look what happened. We ended up 7-5 because of the grind of playing all those teams week in and week out. Wisky and OSU were capable of beating everyone too but didn't. TCU has won a lot of games over the past 5 years but never had to play more than 2 good teams a year.

To say that TCU was capable of beating every team in the big ten is no argument for them getting a shot at the national title. Everyone in American has said they could beat anyone on any given day. It is a matter of doing it week in and week out.

You are right, you just made my argument for me. Iowa was capable of beating all those teams too and look what happened. We ended up 7-5 because of the grind of playing all those teams week in and week out. Wisky and OSU were capable of beating everyone too but didn't. TCU has won a lot of games over the past 5 years but never had to play more than 2 good teams a year.

To say that TCU was capable of beating every team in the big ten is no argument for them getting a shot at the national title. Everyone in American has said they could beat anyone on any given day. It is a matter of doing it week in and week out.

This.

Latest posts